Naomi troubles - Error 03 Board Malfunctioning

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: Naomi troubles - Error 03 Board Malfunctioning

Postby theyangman » Mon May 08, 2017 2:45 pm

My Naomi came in a hard plastic case? Looks like every other Naomi system I've seen:

The IO was in a metal case.Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I want more games...

XeD
timbit
timbit

Postby XeD » Mon May 08, 2017 3:56 pm

I was thinking metal case only due to the naked pcb picture. Metal case one are house of the dead 2 which use a special bios. I changed my mind when I saw the bios revision. The ic you have the ??? Over is ic64. If you remove that hot glue you will see the silkscreen

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Mon May 08, 2017 4:30 pm

XeD wrote:I was thinking metal case only due to the naked pcb picture. Metal case one are house of the dead 2 which use a special bios. I changed my mind when I saw the bios revision. The ic you have the ??? Over is ic64. If you remove that hot glue you will see the silkscreen

ok, so what do I do to test this IC to see if it is still good? Any diagnostic tests built into the naomi for this sorta thing?
I want more games...

XeD
timbit
timbit

Postby XeD » Mon May 08, 2017 4:35 pm

That is beyond my skill set. From the few repair post I have read about this, they swap it out from a parts board. Like you said, I would find someone local that has a Naomi setup and test it that way. Seeing as you don't have much time for a eBay refund.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Mon May 08, 2017 4:50 pm

:ditto:
Swapping out surface mounted ICs isn't easy - you need the right tools.
And for a NAOMI, you never really know if that's going to fix the problem - they are incredibly advanced boards for their time. Their design mimics what you'd find on a modern embedded system that centralizes communication between components.

I lucked out recently with a NAOMI board....only because it was an intermittent problem that caused a particular PLCC chip to overheat and throw off other components. Once I narrowed that down, it was a simple matter of replacing a surface mount IC after writing a new header to match the SFD referenced by the board's custom ROM processor (a grueling 3 hour ordeal that I messed up the first time LOL).
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: RE: Re: Naomi troubles - Error 03 Board Malfunctioning

Postby theyangman » Mon May 08, 2017 4:53 pm

jasonec wrote::ditto:
Swapping out surface mounted ICs isn't easy - you need the right tools.
And for a NAOMI, you never really know if that's going to fix the problem - they are incredibly advanced boards for their time. Their design mimics what you'd find on a modern embedded system that centralizes communication between components.

I lucked out recently with a NAOMI board....only because it was an intermittent problem that caused a particular PLCC chip to overheat and throw off other components. Once I narrowed that down, it was a simple matter of replacing a surface mount IC after writing a new header to match the SFD referenced by the board's custom ROM processor (a grueling 3 hour ordeal that I messed up the first time LOL).

So the biggest question remains if the rest of my parts are good. Im going to try and borrow a known working rig and test from there. Hopefully I'll know more by tmr.

I want more games...

brad808
toonie
toonie

Postby brad808 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:48 pm

I don't know how much help it is since I'm a distance but I have a working Naomi mobo/hot air you can borrow if you need.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: RE: Re: Naomi troubles - Error 03 Board Malfunctioning

Postby theyangman » Mon May 08, 2017 10:21 pm

brad808 wrote:I don't know how much help it is since I'm a distance but I have a working Naomi mobo/hot air you can borrow if you need.

Do you have a machine that it works inside? Ideally i want to find a working setup so I can swap the parts I have (Mobo, cart, and io) to see what works and what doesn't to narrow down the issue.

I want more games...

brad808
toonie
toonie

Postby brad808 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:15 am

No it's not in a cab just bare mobo, no game, no io.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:28 am

bleh, I am running out of time and options, I got a feeling I am sending this board back to the seller on ebay.... :(

I really want a Marvel Vs. Capcom 2..... :( :( :( :(
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue May 09, 2017 8:32 am

theyangman wrote:bleh, I am running out of time and options, I got a feeling I am sending this board back to the seller on ebay.... :(

Probably a good idea given the time and low likelihood you'll find the solution soon.
If it makes you feel any better, I've never been a fan of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.....8)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 am

jasonec wrote:
theyangman wrote:bleh, I am running out of time and options, I got a feeling I am sending this board back to the seller on ebay.... :(

Probably a good idea given the time and low likelihood you'll find the solution soon.
If it makes you feel any better, I've never been a fan of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.....8)

You sir, are insane. MVC2 is a classic. Easily in top 5 of all time best fighters, and even holds up against modern entries into the genre like SF5 or any of the thousand Blazblue fighters.

My top 5:

5 - Street Fighter II Turbo
4 - Tekken 5
3 - Street Fighter III - Third Strike
2 - Mortal Kombat II
1 - Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Honorable mention to Super Smash Melee (Brawl eats baby dicks)
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 am

theyangman wrote:
jasonec wrote:

You sir, are insane. MVC2 is a classic. Easily in top 5 of all time best fighters, and even holds up against modern entries into the genre like SF5 or any of the thousand Blazblue fighters.

My top 5:

5 - Street Fighter II Turbo
4 - Tekken 5
3 - Street Fighter III - Third Strike
2 - Mortal Kombat II
1 - Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Honorable mention to Super Smash Melee (Brawl eats baby dicks)

If I liked fighting games, then I'd probably like it. But I've never been a fan of them at all (even though I was part of the creation of SF2HFE ;-) ).

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 am

So I have finally received a resolution to this entire ordeal from eBay.

I filed a claim against the seller that the item wasn't functional and I wanted a refund. eBay approved my return request and the seller was to provide a return shipping label for me to send the item back. No big deal didn't cost me anything other than time.

The seller dragged his feet and finally got back to me and we went back and forth, he claimed the item was damaged in shipping, to which I replied that it wasn't my fault so I didn't really care, and then he started asking if I wanted a partial refund instead. I said make me an offer and let's go from there. He then provided me some broken link to FedEx to print off a return shipping label and I stopped responding after that, as it isn't my responsibility to do anything other than return the item.

eBay refunded me yesterday to which there was an immediate appeal (he sure acts fast when the shit hits the fan) but after speaking with the customer service rep with eBay today they assured me the refund is permanent. I asked what I need to do with his item and they said keep it. I wanted to make sure that just in case I go buy another item off eBay that my account won't get suddenly un-refunded, and that I was still willing to ship it back if he provides me with said label. But like I mentioned, they said keep it. So I have an item that may or may not work, so I need to go back to the drawing board. As far as I can tell the initial error message was for a bad motherboard. Best case scenario, I replace the Naomi mobo and the I/O and cart are still working (win!). Worst case scenario, the entire lot is junk and this seller tried to slip one past me (lose!).

Anybody in the southwestern Ontario area have a working Naomi setup that I can bring my parts by and we can swap things in and out to try and narrow down my issue? I'd like to swap in my cart and my I/O, to verify that they are good, and then start my search for a new mobo.
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue May 23, 2017 1:11 pm

theyangman wrote:So I have finally received a resolution to this entire ordeal from eBay.

I filed a claim against the seller that the item wasn't functional and I wanted a refund. eBay approved my return request and the seller was to provide a return shipping label for me to send the item back. No big deal didn't cost me anything other than time.

The seller dragged his feet and finally got back to me and we went back and forth, he claimed the item was damaged in shipping, to which I replied that it wasn't my fault so I didn't really care, and then he started asking if I wanted a partial refund instead. I said make me an offer and let's go from there. He then provided me some broken link to FedEx to print off a return shipping label and I stopped responding after that, as it isn't my responsibility to do anything other than return the item.

eBay refunded me yesterday to which there was an immediate appeal (he sure acts fast when the shit hits the fan) but after speaking with the customer service rep with eBay today they assured me the refund is permanent. I asked what I need to do with his item and they said keep it. I wanted to make sure that just in case I go buy another item off eBay that my account won't get suddenly un-refunded, and that I was still willing to ship it back if he provides me with said label. But like I mentioned, they said keep it. So I have an item that may or may not work, so I need to go back to the drawing board. As far as I can tell the initial error message was for a bad motherboard. Best case scenario, I replace the Naomi mobo and the I/O and cart are still working (win!). Worst case scenario, the entire lot is junk and this seller tried to slip one past me (lose!).

Anybody in the southwestern Ontario area have a working Naomi setup that I can bring my parts by and we can swap things in and out to try and narrow down my issue? I'd like to swap in my cart and my I/O, to verify that they are good, and then start my search for a new mobo.

Good to hear you got it resolved - eBay definitely protects against stuff like this! :D

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”