Pin 2000 LCD Retrofit for Pin 2000 Starwars/ Revenge form Ma

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Rickn
loonie
loonie

Pin 2000 LCD Retrofit for Pin 2000 Starwars/ Revenge form Ma

Postby Rickn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:47 pm

turns out Vidiot but down a Revenge from Mars today.

We fixed the CPU, one of the 5 caps ... still a no go. Then checked the power diode, replaced it and "Bingo"

Changed the tube and chassis, now the monitor is up and running.

Now the fun part... we connected the new LCD I have been developing. It does many CGA, mid-res games of course VGA and higher.

Preliminary results:
- Looks like it will be a fantastic retro kit.
- Less heat than the monitor so should improve the relaibility of the CPU
- Direct connection to the CPU so no worries about that troublesome 10 pin Molex.
- it will take CGA and VGA so now you can actaully see the boot screen. It will be forward adaptable to the new core being developed at VGA.
- I have been working with suppliers as how to program the LCD, so this is a custom.
- mechanical fit is easy.

We will keep you posted but I am in the process of doing the first 100 pcs of this LCD. it may take another 8 weeks but what an option for both the Starwars and revence fro Mars Pin.

I will be posting a few of the preliminary pictures on my website in the next couple days

www.niemandisplays.com

By the way Vidiot, thanks for being the guinea pig and leaving your pin at the shop to complete the development. If I missed anything --- chime in.

Rick@Niemandisplays.com
1023 Rife Rd Un 10, Cambridge N1R5S3
519-621-1722
Rick Nieman
President
Nieman Video Displays
Kitchener, Ontario
519-621-1722
Rick@niemandisplays.com

cooke
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby cooke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:26 pm

monkeybug
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby monkeybug » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:29 pm

Very interesting. I was reading about the nucore system and they mention the LCD looks a lot nicer than the CRT. Any rough idea on pricing?

vidiot
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby vidiot » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:57 pm

As Rick said, I brought down my pinball 2000 with a couple of troubles. First of all the CPU would not boot. A quick check of the 5 known caps around the CPU and I found leaking caps. They are 1000mF @ 6.3V so I replaced the caps with 1000mF @ 10v. But that didn’t fix the problem. Rick did some voltage test around the board and it didn’t take him long to find a bad power diode.

My other problem was the monitor, we did a tube and chassis swap with another monitor and I have picture. What a pain in the A$$ the monitor uses a custom monitor frame, Wring the sync lines etc.

The P2000 has known heat problems. Take the a hot monitor, fluorescent light, and a computer case install it into a small top box with no external fan and run it on a route 24/7 and then wonder why it seams that I’m doing a complete computer and monitor over hall every two or three years.

So Rick and I tried his CGA / VGA LCD as a direct drop in replacement. The unit slid in with not cutting or hacking of the cabinet. The picture was perfect as you would expect from an LCD display. Here is a picture of it just placed into the top box and turned on, before any size and width adjustments were made.

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:03 pm

THis is solely why the phrase "Holy Shit" was invented.

I love it!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

vidiot
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby vidiot » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 pm

monkeybug wrote:Very interesting. I was reading about the nucore system and they mention the LCD looks a lot nicer than the CRT. Any rough idea on pricing?

Nucore does have a dell computer LCD slapped into there box but it was not pretty and it looks like they had to cut the box to make it fit.

The nifty thing is Ricks monitor is CGA and VGA LCD so it would work on there Nucore system in VGA as well.

The other thing I liked is if you pull the prism card out on the original CPU the computer boots in VGA mode and with a keyboard you can access the CMOS and make any needed changes without hooking up a computer monitor.

T

The_*Real*_Menace
timbit
timbit

Postby The_*Real*_Menace » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:21 pm

GUY LIKE!!!!

The bonus with the NuCore system is the increased frame rate and sharper graphics, and that's where the LCD really shines.

Here's my question... Is Rick going to be supplying the NuCore guys with his LCD's for their full kit?

D

Rickn
loonie
loonie

Postby Rickn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks everyone for the fedback and comments. Here are my comments:
- Pricing not finalized as I am working to finalize costs associated with the actual LCD, re-programming costs of the LCD and the retro kit which will include some form of bezel.
- Thanks for the links to the other 2 forums, I will check them out
- Just e-mailed the Nu-core people, we will see how that works out.

Hope I did not miss anything?

Rick
Rick Nieman
President
Nieman Video Displays
Kitchener, Ontario
519-621-1722
Rick@niemandisplays.com

Spit 5 Ace
stubby
stubby

Postby Spit 5 Ace » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:54 am

Looks like an awesome and sensible retrofit for Pin2000 owners.

Davester
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Davester » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:20 am

Pinball2000 Lives!

Davester.
Pins: Funhouse
Race Drivin', Winding Heat, MAME, Touchmaster, Seeburg SPS2, Rockola 494, AMI Rowe Laserstar, Parking Meters, Payphone... if it takes coins, I want it!
Even those funny coin op machines in the ladies room...

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 am

What's next, new playfields? :wink:

ThunderStorm
stubby
stubby

Postby ThunderStorm » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:28 pm

ok now i just need a SWE1, who's gonna sell me one?

Eric
Pins : BTTF, RBION, RCT, AF, White Water, Earth Shaker, WaterWorld, HighSpeed II, TMNT

Vids : 2 x Cali Speed, 2 x Cruis'n USA, Crazy Taxi, Sketch Express,

Other : Redemption games, jukebox, token dispenser, change machine, ATM, other crap

Chessiv

Postby Chessiv » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Hey Everyone.

Thanks for your interest in Nucore. If you haven't seen our site please check it out http://www.bigguyspinball.com/

I contacted Rick today and what he's doing is very cool. The LCD makes a HUGE difference in the picture quality of the machine. When I took my machine to PATZ people were amazed by the LCD, among other things ;-) We never planned to include a LCD monitor as part of the package so I'm happy that Rick is taking the initiative to provide a drop-in solution. I really think people will see a lot of cool new pinball 2000 products after Nucore is release.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hi. Hopefully some of you will come to pinball expo this year and see Nucore in action.

Chuck

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”