scanline generator

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

scanline generator

Postby Subpacket » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 am

Where's a good source for a scanline generator, and who else wants to go in on a group buy?

http://craftymech.com/ $29 + shipping
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scanline-Generator-SLG-Transform-your-VGA-display-into-an-arcade-monitor-/131022398916#shpCntId free shipping

and it looks like if we order direct, its $49 for 2..
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:49 am

I'd be in for one.

stayjacked1
stubby
stubby

Postby stayjacked1 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Ya I bought few from crafteymech ! They work well
D2K,DKJR,DK3,VS.DR.MARIO,TETRIS,BURGERTIME,MAD PLANETS,MULTI TAITO,MS PAC UPRIGHT,MS PAC COCKTAIL,VBALL,MULTI NAOMI UPRIGHT,NAOMI UPRIGHT VT1

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:50 pm

I bought a MiniSLG too, and it works very well.....but you can also make one yourself for about $2.30 by splicing a VGA cable and adding a stipboard with a 74HC74 and 74HC125.
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Newfie
loonie
loonie

Postby Newfie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:57 pm

I'd be in for one as well
Working games - Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Dig Dug, Bagman, Track & Field, Pole Position, Joust, Time Pilot 84, Burgertime, Super Pacman, Mario Bros (WB version), Centipede, Millipede, Zaxxon, Galaxian

Unessential
timbit
timbit

Postby Unessential » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:06 pm

I'd be in for two as well... Have a GBS8220 would love to have 2 scanline generators for it.

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:17 pm

craftymech Subby. For sure.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Nobody wants to do the cheap version? You could make 10 of them for $25 in total.

http://s399.photobucket.com/user/mmmonk ... d.jpg.html
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

menace
stubby
stubby

Postby menace » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:03 pm

I would totally be in..for the cheap one :D Plans?schematics?
Working: Mame
Pins: Stargate, Star Wars, Virtual pin
Wanted: money and time

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Here you go (I've made 2 of them for myself last year) - this schematic matches the pic in the link above:

Unessential
timbit
timbit

Postby Unessential » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't know anything about those two chips. Are they able to do the processing within a frame of input lag?

if so, then I'll probably get that instead if you can solder on vga ports and screw terminals for power. (I don't think vga pinout has pins for power (+5v, gnd) does it?)

Sticking it in the case would be a bonus.

Also, If you can make it take the video connector coming from most jamma harnesses (RGB + Ground I think, maybe sync) for when I don't need an upscaler as an input I'll take 2 of those as well for a total of 4 instead of 2.

The main thing for me is that I don't wanna bother soldering. If all I have to deal with are screw terminals and connectors than it's good solution for me.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Essentially, those two chips do the exact same function that the MiniSLG does and the output is the same.
Why not solder? Much easier, less problems....

Unessential
timbit
timbit

Postby Unessential » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Everyone always says soldering is easy and everyone can learn how to do it,

They lie. I've tried. A few times. I've had much difficulty soldering, the joints either are cold, or they fall apart within a day. I have to pay people to do soldering for me. and most are unwilling to do it because they don't know what they're soldering even If i absolve them of risk and damage if they just follow my instructions...

Recently I had to go to 3 different repair shops to find someone willing to replace my suicide battery on a CPS 2 board. And I had to pay $20 for it to be done. (that's $10 a joint! ridiculous!)

So for me, screw terminals and connectors are much easier. and have less problems.

I did speak with someone recently and he said I might be having difficulty because i'm using lead free solder and it needs to get much hotter than regular solder...

But I haven't had to solder anything in ages because things I do often (arcade stick mods and supergun assembly) use screw terminals, RJ-45 ports, USB ports and various other connectors and quick disconnects.

and everything else I do isn't too permanent so I use a breadboard.

But for something like a scan line generator, it's too fragile, I would have to reassemble it too often due to it falling apart.

Unessential
timbit
timbit

Postby Unessential » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:37 pm

jasonec wrote:I bought a MiniSLG too, and it works very well.....but you can also make one yourself for about $2.30 by splicing a VGA cable and adding a stipboard with a 74HC74 and 74HC125.

Maybe i'm not reading the schematic properly, but with 2 VGA cables and a stipboard... how would the chips be powered? VGA only has a pin for ground but not VCC/+5v

Probably going to make it on my breadboard. If I hook it up separately from my supergun using vga ports needing to reassemble the thing shouldn't be too big a problem.

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:18 pm

pin 9 is +5
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”