Game stores & flea market booths - reviews and thoughts

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Went to check out this newer game store in the area called Good Time Games on University ave in Waterloo. Here is his Kijiji ad
http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se ... Z351832909
I look and see he has genesis, Snes, Nes,N64 games and I start looking at the titles and prices. I am thinking "cool!" I see a complete General Chaos for $36! My conversation with the owner goes like this:
Me: Wow thats kinda high for General Chaos don't you think? Maybe $20 tops?
Him:Well I sell it much much cheaper than my competitors.
Me: Oh yea? Who is that??
Him: Amazon has one listed for $89
Me: yea but no one is going to buy it at that price. On ebay it usually sells for around $15 to $20 complete.
Him: well lets check ebay then.......oh here are some with a buy it now of $80 and $89. See.....I am way cheaper than anywhere else...
Me:Um those won't sell though......here let me show you how to check completed auctions to see what it REALLY sells for.
Him: Nope! don't bother!
He goes onto explain that if all these websites are selling the game for $60 to $90 then that must be the "true" value because if not they would lose money on it. I shake my head and end up leaving. Not before I see a complete NHL 94 for the Genesis at $11.50. I ask him if he takes trades. He says "yes" and I lick my lips and might take some sports titles to him :P
Last edited by Bighab on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B-Button
loonie
loonie

Postby B-Button » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Yeah, I've been there. Not only are the prices high but the guy is kinda creepy. I always get the feeling if I don't buy anything he might break down and cry. I'm sure he sells to alot of University Students who don't know how to use the internet :roll:

Zing
timbit
timbit

Postby Zing » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Clearly he doesn't know how to search the internet, either.

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:40 pm

If i wanted ebay or amazon prices.. i would go on ebay or amazon....

Not to that store.

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Went to Game Haven today in Burlington. Large store with a great selection of PS3/Wii/Xbox360 stuff(which personally I have no interest in) and a poor selection of Nes/Snes/Genesis stuff(which I am mostly interested in). Decent store though. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again but thats just me :D

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Bighab wrote:Went to Game Haven today in Burlington. Large store with a great selection of PS3/Wii/Xbox360 stuff(which personally I have no interest in) and a poor selection of Nes/Snes/Genesis stuff(which I am mostly interested in). Decent store though. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again but thats just me :D

Did you go anywhere else?

Dodsworth
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Dodsworth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Kind a glad there are no stores like that around here. I'll stick with my yard sales 8)

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Scott84 wrote:
Bighab wrote:Went to Game Haven today in Burlington. Large store with a great selection of PS3/Wii/Xbox360 stuff(which personally I have no interest in) and a poor selection of Nes/Snes/Genesis stuff(which I am mostly interested in). Decent store though. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again but thats just me :D

Did you go anywhere else?

Nope. I do wanna check out Toyratt sometime though

maxlords
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby maxlords » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 am

Toyratt is....interesting. I can't say that I'd recommend it either, but it's worth a look. If you're looking for common and semi-common stuff he has a VERY wide selection of older games. Not too much for rares, and I found the prices to be a little on the high side, but he was also willing to deal some. I guess you could say I'm on the fence about the place :)
"This isn't a bar fight. Have some class." - Alucard
- Castlevania (Netflix)

retrogamehunter

Postby retrogamehunter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 am

Anybody deal with vintage gaming in Toronto, see him post his adds on kijji everyday. How are his prices and stock like.
I hunt down retro games in Ontario

cage

Postby cage » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Checked out the Downsview Flea Market last week.

http://www.dpmarket.com/
40 Carl Hall Rd, Downsview, ON M3K 2B6

I found two video game dealers there selling current/retro stuff. I was really disappointed with the attitudes/prices of these guys.

For example, both dealers carrying Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES (multiple copies) loose with torn covers going for 30 bucks. I mean come on.

For some reason bartering is completely out of the question too with all the vendors (including non-gaming ones). Granted, I haven't been to a fleamarket in years but I expect to barter for stuff. Prices in general seemed retail on other things with some even charging taxes on their goods (never seen this before).

Overall, if you're looking for some deals don't bother with this place. I know I won't be returning.

Zing
timbit
timbit

Postby Zing » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm

I am unsure if no one is buying at those prices and the seller is just stubborn, or if someone is actually buying that stuff to justify those outrageous prices.

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:15 am

cage wrote:Checked out the Downsview Flea Market last week.

http://www.dpmarket.com/
40 Carl Hall Rd, Downsview, ON M3K 2B6

I found two video game dealers there selling current/retro stuff. I was really disappointed with the attitudes/prices of these guys.

For example, both dealers carrying Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES (multiple copies) loose with torn covers going for 30 bucks. I mean come on.

For some reason bartering is completely out of the question too with all the vendors (including non-gaming ones). Granted, I haven't been to a fleamarket in years but I expect to barter for stuff. Prices in general seemed retail on other things with some even charging taxes on their goods (never seen this before).

Overall, if you're looking for some deals don't bother with this place. I know I won't be returning.

I think that $30 for SMB3 is like double retail. These guys might aswell just spit in your face.

seocwen

Postby seocwen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:05 pm

In Ottawa, it used to be that the only store I could reliably go to for finds of classic games was Microplay on Bank St. (208). Now there's a new store at 237 Bank St. called Cumleighs that acts as a resaler for classic video games and DVDs. They're selection is actually really good for NES, SNES, Genesis and Gameboy titles; I've made a number of finds there when I barely ever see anything at Microplay anymore. I'd really recommend that you encourage their business.

Sparky
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Sparky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:12 pm

cool seocwen, what are there prices like?

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”