Game stores & flea market booths - reviews and thoughts

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Declaritive wrote:Yeah, his prices are insane. I don't know where he gets them. He has a binder sort of book where he keeps a list of all the prices... I remember asking what he wanted for Kung Fu Heroes, he says "$35." Ouch, I was thinking maybe $15 at the most, but damn, $35? That's not even ebay prices! (No, seriously, look it up). I recall looking through his Genesis binder of prices and it was dirt cheap. Like, dirt freaking cheap. According to the binder, at one point he had Crusader of Centy... for $25. So I guess you are able to get really good deals like you got on the Dragon Fighter.
I first went there this past summer, and man, when he showed all these boxes, and manuals, it was like collectors heaven. I asked him how he got it all, he said back in the day when mom and pop video stores were liquidating there games, he'd buy all of it up. Good way to get inventory. But hey, let's try to keep those boxes our little secret eh? Haha :)

I've been dealing with Jim at JR Controls for over 15 years. Yea his prices are all over the map but occasionally you'll find a diamond in the rough. I had to chuckle at your comment about keeping the boxes/manuals a secret lol. I had first crack at all of it two years ago and scored huge :wink:

Declaritive

Postby Declaritive » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:18 pm

Yeah Jim's a good guy, but his prices are just all over the place most of the time. I should make another trip up there sometime, maybe catch him slipping up on something haha. And when he showed me those boxes and manauls, I wasn't thinking much at first; I thought it would mostly be sports games and stuff, but nope, REALLY good stuff. I can't tell you how many manuals and boxes I found for some of the hardest to find stuff. I'm jealous you got first dibs on that stuff. I remember the first time I went there he told me earlier that same day someone had picked up a Contra Hard Corps box and manual for $20... I just missed it by like half an hour! Damn oh well. But shhhh ;)
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, have at you!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my video game blog: http://declaritive.blogspot.ca/

coleconut
timbit
timbit

Re: Game stores & flea market booths - reviews and thoughts

Postby coleconut » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 am

I dont know how long they have been there but a place on Danforth in Toronto has started posting on kijiji quite a bit. Havent been there but my first impressions are not good. #1 they post one ad on kijiji for each item which to me is annoying. So like if you search for Atari for instance on kijiji you get a page full of ads from them for one game each. Then if you look at the items they sell, they plaster large dated price stickers on them. This to me too is annoying, if i am buying a shrinkwrapped game from 1983 I certainly dont want a big price sticker dated 2015 on it. Then they dont seem to describe items well, for example there is a boxed set of Colecovision controllers - overpriced - they have on kijiji and they call it a boxed Colecovision. No hurry to rush down there they seem clueless.

Declaritive

Postby Declaritive » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 pm

I know the ones you're talking about coleconut, I believe it's a pawn shop. There logic is pretty bad. "Yep, let's post individual ads for each of our overpriced NES sports games!"
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, have at you!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:07 am

Has Toyratt cleared out the upstairs yet? I remember being there a few years ago and looking up and spotting some sweet gems but they wouldn't bring anything down.... I've since retired from vintage game collecting after realizing the prices were going higher and higher and finding things in the wild was going to be impossible. I sold my entire collection. I miss them sometimes. But now I have my arcade machines to keep me busy.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
I want more games...

Declaritive

Postby Declaritive » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:20 am

I was just at Toyratt last week to buy Hyperstone Heist, and no, the upstairs still hasn't been cleared yet. There's tons of boxes for systems and stuff up there, I remember a long time ago Evo mentioned he was going to eventually clear out the second floor for the vinyls, something along the lines of that. But no it still isn't cleared yet.

tinachang

Postby tinachang » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Asia Amusement & Attractions Expo 2017
2017亚洲乐园及景点博览会
80,000 sqm 500 Exhibitors
www.aaaexpos.com/www.chinaamusement.com
Date: March 8-11,2017
Venue: China Import & Export Fair Complex(Area A)

AAA 2016 Show Review
Covered an exhibition area of 60,000m2, with 3,000 booths and more than 400 exhibitors, AAA (integrated with CIAE & TPAE) has become the largest event of games, amusement, theme parks and attractions in Asia and the second one in the world.

Guangdong Grandeur International Exhibition Group
Address: Room 202, Meijing Garden, No.318 of Chebei Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China.
Phone: +86-20-29806606
Fax: +86-20-82579220
Email:candicetang_16@outlook.com/amusementxpo@163.com

a_arthur_n
timbit
timbit

Postby a_arthur_n » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Just came from A & C Games for their boxing day sale. Lots of great stuff absolutely no deals... Even with their discounts prices just out of control. 120 bucks for Sega Genesis model 2? 120 for a Front Loader NES? Who is paying these prices? But with the purchase of a used console they will throw in a 3rd party controller! I was really disappointed. Lots of common Genesis carts at least 10 dollars overpriced. Again I guess if you need something specific it might be good to look there but don't bother going there for any sort of deal.

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Charging $120 for a model 2 Genesis makes me wonder how much they'd give in credit for one :P I think it's come to the point all Toronto area stores are priced at ebay+++ price level's. You're paying for convenience I guess.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:57 pm

I remember visiting their shop in Toronto shortly after seeing the NES collector documentary and thinking that everything was very expensive. The only specific thing I remember is that they had a Galaga 90 cart for TG16 that was priced at $85 :shock:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Declaritive

Postby Declaritive » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:43 pm

[quote="a_arthur_n"]Just came from A & C Games for their boxing day sale. Lots of great stuff absolutely no deals... Even with their discounts prices just out of control. 120 bucks for Sega Genesis model 2? 120 for a Front Loader NES? Who is paying these prices? But with the purchase of a used console they will throw in a 3rd party controller! I was really disappointed. Lots of common Genesis carts at least 10 dollars overpriced. Again I guess if you need something specific it might be good to look there but don't bother going there for any sort of deal.[/quote]

Ouch... for a long time I've heard A+C is bad, but I didn't think it would be that bad, especially on the Genesis! Like, wow. Sounds like I won't be checking that place out anytime ever, especially not for the drive into Toronto!

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:40 am

I used to buy at least a game from them every year at Fanexpo but that last couple of years their prices have been a bit much.

a_arthur_n
timbit
timbit

Postby a_arthur_n » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:22 pm

Half the store is now magic cards.... The rest is very over priced common games.

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Took a trip to Toyratt today, kinda a hole in the wall location wise. Had a lot of stuff, didn't find the prices weren't too bad either.

Zexhuffer
toonie
toonie

Postby Zexhuffer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Needed a wire for my Wii and microplay was cheaper than Amazon or anywhere I could find quickly so I went in for the first time in years.
Holy shiat did I laugh a few times, at prices
120 for nes front loader
150 for Sega CD
30 for loose nes controllers
And the best
19.99 for Shaq fu

Loose games galore but can't remember all the crazy prices glad I don't collect anymore
HAVES: Street fighter 2 Champions Edition, Nba jam, 60-1 cocktail
WANTS: Golden tee, Open ice challenge jamma

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”