Game stores & flea market booths - reviews and thoughts

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

gianniM
timbit
timbit

Postby gianniM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 am

I agree some are overpriced at We Got Games.

I forgot to mention the Vendor's Flea Market in Brampton has a video game booth as well. Their collection of retro games isn't huge but he has some!

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Theres a place in the Falls called The Basement. They dont have a huge selection but they havent been around for to long and offer some far prices.

Rune_Walsh

Toyratt

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:08 pm

I went to Toyratt the other day in Milton to grab a Sega Saturn and I must say I was impressed.

I traded in 2 games and ended up getting the Saturn for $45 with a few games as well. I can't remember buddy's name, but he's a cool guy. He briefly chatted about some games and some rarities, seems like he's a good guy.

Now only if he had an email or something so I wouldn't have to drive all the way up to check his stock.

Great guy though, I recommend it the drive!

roleplayer
stubby
stubby

Re: Toyratt

Postby roleplayer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:I went to Toyratt the other day in Milton to grab a Sega Saturn and I must say I was impressed.

I traded in 2 games and ended up getting the Saturn for $45 with a few games as well. I can't remember buddy's name, but he's a cool guy. He briefly chatted about some games and some rarities, seems like he's a good guy.

Now only if he had an email or something so I wouldn't have to drive all the way up to check his stock.

Great guy though, I recommend it the drive!

his name is Evo I believe and he does have a facebook page so you can send him messages through there if you want, and yes his store is very impressive in terms of the amount of everything he has, he even does youtube videos of what he got in stock that I personally find hilarious but its a bit of a drive to get out there and a bit difficult to find

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:21 am

This week after the swap meet I had a bunch of stuff that didn't sell and have had for awhile. I decided to go downtown to Games Exchange located at 91 queen street south Kitchener and see what I could get for trade. Been picking up a few Xbox 360 games there lately so I figured it was worth a shot. I have been going there for well over 20 years. Lots of memories in the heyday of the Nes/Snes/Genesis era. I remember buying Bubble Bobble 2 there one Christmas for a gift. Kinda wish I had kept it myself...lol! I brought mostly cheap games down(2 snes games, 1 xbox game, 1 GBA game). One game(Wing Commander Secret Missions Snes) that I had for sale for $3 that no one wanted got me $12 in credit which I was surprised at. I picked up a few Xbox 360 games I wanted so I was happy. The store itself is nice and clean and well organized. On the plus side it had a good selection of Wii, PS3, Xbox360 and PS2 games. On the down side their selection of Nes,Snes,Genesis games were a bit lacking and that's what draws me to a store the most. They did have some TG16 and Atari 2600 titles too. The only minor peeves I would have would be 1. any games you trade in for credit you have to spend that day(I used to be able to build it up back in the day) and 2. he has this big wall of empty Snes boxes that he won't sell. I drool every time I go in there. Someday he'll come around......I hope! :D

MrCrix
loonie
loonie

Postby MrCrix » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:20 am

He has more SNES games now including some really good titles. I was in there today. The wall o boxes isn't there anymore. Something way cooler is replacing it but I ain't saying.

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Yesterday I went of a video game hunt with some friends. I was able to make it down to Super 1UP games in Hamilton located at 1917 King Street E. The store is easily 6-8 times bigger than the Westdale store. Many more options for parking too. I parked next door at the funeral home(no one was there) or there is lots of space across the street at the plaza. A few gaming TV's were setup. Very bright and clean store. The prices were quite decent too(a little high for RPG's) A friend I brought traded in a bunch of common games and grabbed a mint copy of Mysteria for the Saturn @ $25. I recommend people check it out. On the plus side for me when I go to leave to head back to KW his other Westdale store(they had a 10% off sale going on) is on the same street so I can stop in at that one too. :D

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:49 pm

I also checked out super one up games last week. Its much larger, they hold a street fighter tournament there to it looks like which is pretty cool. One of the owners also keeps his NES collection there locked behind glass, but for $10 an hour you can play what ever game you want. I though that was a cool idea. They have a good selection, but I found most of there games over priced.

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Stopped into CellplanMan's store KWVintage Gaming. Nice Place!

Sparky
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Sparky » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:41 am

Scott84 wrote:Stopped into CellplanMan's store KWVintage Gaming. Nice Place!
lots of stock? and how are the prices man?

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Sparky wrote:

Yeah he had a lot of stock. Prices are pretty typical of a retro video game store.

I would say keep to your sources sparky ;)

Sparky
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Sparky » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 am

Scott84 wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Yeah he had a lot of stock. Prices are pretty typical of a retro video game store.

That sounds like there high, hahaha.. I knew they would be.

fsa

KW Vintage

Postby fsa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:23 am

Yeh, I went there looking for Turbo games and the had none and they really didn't know much about "SHMUP" as those are my favourites games. Prices are on the high side eg. Gradius 3 for SNES is $30 plus. The guys at the Games eschange are more knowledgeable about all kinds of games and I always find some what of a good deal with them eg. I saw US Squadron for $9.99 which is not too bad, I still have to pick it up.

Anyone know where I can find Turbo games for decent prices.

fsa

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Sparky wrote:
Scott84 wrote:
Sparky wrote:

That sounds like there high, hahaha.. I knew they would be.

Its a store front, so its like any other store out there. It needs a margin to pay off certain things you wouldnt need if you sold on Kijiji.

I think Kijiji has similar prices sometimes.

I would give his store a thumbs up as it does have a big selection of games.

Sensato Kuro
timbit
timbit

Postby Sensato Kuro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:54 pm

I forgot to mention that we stopped at Toyratt on our way to the last swap meet. I assume most of you already know about that place but I must say that I love the selection of games Toyratt has. Prices were a bit high on some stuff (for us yard sale and flea market hunters at least) but still way better than I've seen in many flea markets or in other gamestores.

The employee which was working when we went was good with us too. We ended up selling, buying and trading stuff at prices both the store and us were happy with.

I like to think that meeting Midge there after the swap has been a good thing for us (he seems to be a customer they like a lot). glad I got to meet you at the swap man. ;)

I will definitely return to that store next time I'm in the area.

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”