Upcoming Consoles

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Upcoming Consoles

Postby scogon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 am

no post on this yet... so the PS4 and XboxOne have both been announced. What are people thinking?

So far I am underwhelmed. Not pleased with the lack of backwards compatibility, there is no feature that is getting me excited really. No announced games that I really feel I want yet (but that could change!)

Neither company seems to be focused on the games at its core and that is interesting, they both seem to be looking at the living room more. Not sure if that will succeed or fail for them as a strategy.

Sony looking for love from independents is cool, nice that they actually are changing their ways on that for now.

Currently I am most excited about 360 and PS3 price drops that are probably in the future as I'd like a second of each console. This seems telling!

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Wed May 22, 2013 3:14 pm

I like the look of the xbox one, even though it looks larger than my receiver.

If it ends up being able to play bluray movies I might consider replacing my 360 with it.

MrCrix
loonie
loonie

Postby MrCrix » Wed May 22, 2013 8:53 pm

The negatives for the X1 is a bit too much for me at the moment. Until we can get actual specifics and see the details behind the following information that they have provided Im kinda not interested in the X1. It all really depends on what Sony is going to do for me to even consider buying a next generation console at this point.

X1 Negatives IMO
- You buy a game and have to install it to your HD, then if you sell it the person who buys it has to pay a fee to play it and it also renders your copy on your console unplayable.

- You have to have the Kinect plugged in at all times. Why?

- You have to be able to access the internet to register every game you buy and you cant play a game until you do that. Why?

- It plays TV. Thats great and all but does that come for free in my XBL subscription or am I going to have to pay more for that, and if I am then Im not interested. I have that already. If I dont buy it am I going to be bombarded with BS trying to make me buy it constantly? Also is there going to be advertisements forced down my throat because of it?

There are more but those are the main negatives from what Ive read so far. If I cant really own the game I pay for then at this point Im not interested at all.

Pran
toonie
toonie

Postby Pran » Fri May 24, 2013 9:27 am

steam box + oculus rift, that's the future for me :)

atarileaf
timbit
timbit

Postby atarileaf » Fri May 24, 2013 8:50 pm

MrCrix wrote:- You buy a game and have to install it to your HD, then if you sell it the person who buys it has to pay a fee to play it and it also renders your copy on your console unplayable.

I've read this on a few forums and I'm confused by it. Maybe I'm missing a key point here, I don't know.

If you sell your car, you can no longer drive it
If you sell your phone you can no longer talk and text on it
If you break up with your girl friend you can no longer have sex with her (unless you have that whole "friends with benefits" thing going on)

Point is we've always lived in a society where, once an item is sold, we no longer have ownership nor do we have rights to said ownership of said item. I'm not sure why this is suddenly an issue with people. Since when do we get to sell an item and still claim we have a right to it?

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:48 pm

I personally don't like what im seeing of the Xbox One (stupid name)
Too many restrictions just for a console. The advantage consoles had over PC was that they were simple. You buy a game from the store, go home, put it in and play it. You could also grab your new game take it to your friends house, put it in his console and play.

Now you have to have it locked to your system, you have to transfer your account info to a friends console if you want to take a game over to play it, then re activate your account on your system when you get back home......

Kinect HAS to be on all the time....

constant checks to update your owned content....

I know that the focus now is to make a device that has everything . games, tv, internet, apps, and so on. But in this case, that makes gaming secondary or tertiary so I cant really consider X1 a gaming console.

My PC has for years now already been my multimedia device and my consoles were my dedicated gaming machines.

So .....im out. Not interested in X1, though the PS4 shows more promise. but we will see.

WALKSAFE
loonie
loonie

Postby WALKSAFE » Mon May 27, 2013 9:32 am

Personally, I haven't bought a "new" system since Nintendo 64 and haven't looked back since I started to play on PC more instead. You cannot beat the deals (buying games for an absolute fraction of the price) and the obvious or inevitable concern about the console breaking down at some point just does not offer me any allure whatsoever. Sure, I've still played a few games on Game Cube, Wii or XBOX360 due to my siblings buying those systems, but for the most part I find almost any of the console exclusives to be a bore. Well, except for Fat Princess on PS3. That game is incredibly dope.
WTB: SNES dust sleeves! If you've got any, please let me know!

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:15 pm

I mainly game on PC as well, but there are games that don't hit PC that I end up buying a console for. I bought a 360 initially because Team ninja was releasing ninja gaiden 2 and Dead or alive 4 on it.

leonk
stubby
stubby

Postby leonk » Mon May 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Folks welcome to the future of copy protection. The new kinect has an HD 3D camera. Now they can tie your face to ownership of a game!! Not only that but imagine a future where movies will only play if you have 4 or less people in the room. It's out of control DRM mixed with a bit of 1984. I'm sticking to mame Xbox 360 and older and iPad thank you very much. If I want bleeding edge gaming ill now play on my PC.

Dodsworth
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Dodsworth » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 pm

Just not overly excited about either one but I'm sure ill get one or the other for Christmas this year

CongoBongo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CongoBongo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:14 pm

More excited about the Ouya though I don't expect much from it until at least v2 :D

Necron99
timbit
timbit

Postby Necron99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:29 pm

XboxOne
-XboxOne has far too many restrictions. the biggest being Always On which will render the console useless once they stop supporting it. no retro collecting for this one.

PS4
-still waiting for the verdict, but I'm not holding my breath. I think Sony will just follow microsoft.

Wii U
-so far not many games for it, no real advances in technologies and after trying the Wii U decided that this console isn't for me.

So....looks like this will be the first generation of gaming I will not buy anything.

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:52 pm

I think out of what I've seen so far, I like the games the Wii U has to offer the most.

Bayonetta 2? Looks awesome. So did that mech game. Luigi ? yes ! Donkey Kong ? hell yeah.

Though I will most likely end up getting the X1 because I don't want to miss out on Halo or Gears. Though for now, im glad I have a Wii U.

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Law212 wrote:I think out of what I've seen so far, I like the games the Wii U has to offer the most.

Bayonetta 2? Looks awesome. So did that mech game. Luigi ? yes ! Donkey Kong ? hell yeah.

Though I will most likely end up getting the X1 because I don't want to miss out on Halo or Gears. Though for now, im glad I have a Wii U.

Probably why I will get a Xbox One eventually....

PS4 @ $399.... very competitive.

Xbox One @ $499.... too expensive.

PS4.. no restrictions on games.... big plus.

Xbox One seems like more of an entertainment center...

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Ill most likely get both consoles as usual but I really don't think ill get them right away. I can wait. Though I think id get the PS4 first this time. For now my PC and Wii U will be more than enough.

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”