Retron VS Ouya

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Retron VS Ouya

Postby mike boss » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:52 pm

My buddy (MKP1Start on here) is all hype on the Retron 5.
I like the idea that it can play ROMS, and for the NES, SNES, and Genesis you can use the original controllers.
But outside of that is the Retron not just another Android based system ?
What makes it better than an Ouya ?

Thoughts, facts, opinions, etc ?
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: Retron VS Ouya

Postby jasonec » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 pm

mike boss wrote:My buddy (MKP1Start on here) is all hype on the Retron 5.
I like the idea that it can play ROMS, and for the NES, SNES, and Genesis you can use the original controllers.
But outside of that is the Retron not just another Android based system ?
What makes it better than an Ouya ?

Thoughts, facts, opinions, etc ?

In my opinion, the Ouya is an incredibly useful console - for example:

Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

ken_cinder
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ken_cinder » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Yeah I sold both Ouya's I had LONG ago...mind you I wouldn't touch a Retron 5 either.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 pm

Why not just build a PC-based retro gaming box with a nice frontend like Hyperspin?
That's the best route in my books....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:44 am

I've read the Retron 5 works well when it works but it does have issues reading carts at times.

You could also look at a retropie machine using a raspberry pi.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:27 am

If I am not mistaken, the Retron 5 works as any emulator would.

When you plug a cart in the top it doesn't play off the cart like your original Nintendo did. It dumps the ROM into its own memory and runs it just like an emulator would.

It doesn't have the hardware built in that would allow it to run the cart like a regular NES. Or any of the other systems it "supports" for that matter.

Didn't they also get into a bit of trouble because they were using other people's emulators as their front end for certain systems?

Sure, you get the joy of plugging in a cart and being able to use your old joysticks, but the long and short of it is, that it isn't really any different than you downloading an emulator and all the ROMs yourself and playing them on your PC with any old USB controller.

It just comes in a nice fancy bundle that is easy to set up for the everyday joe who doesn't want to go through the hassle of doing it all himself.
I want more games...

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:40 pm

I like the Ouya, and I've started to utilize the Kodi/XBMC on it more now.
I think the Ouya is fun, I like the emulation and the $70 price I paid was worth it.

I like the idea of the EverDrive SD carts, but they are kinda costly.

That said I thought the Retron seemed like a good idea, the original controllers was kinda a kicker for me.

But even at that, as mentioned you could go USB versions and get the same general feeling.

Locally the Retron 5 is $230/240.................
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

Radcrap
timbit
timbit

Postby Radcrap » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:26 pm

The Ouya paid for itself for me when I learned I could play the translated version of Hideo Kojima's Policenauts on it via the PS1 emulator! Good stuff. What I was wondering is if the Retron is better than the Retrofreak out of Japan.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Radcrap wrote:The Ouya paid for itself for me when I learned I could play the translated version of Hideo Kojima's Policenauts on it via the PS1 emulator! Good stuff. What I was wondering is if the Retron is better than the Retrofreak out of Japan.

Retrofreaks biggest down fall(s)

1. No NES support out of the box. You need an adaptor
2. Controller support. No original ports for any of the systems (All USB) & the fact there is no wireless controller support (No bluetooth)
3. It looks hideous. It is possibly the most unattractive system I have ever laid eyes on.
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Yeah - I watched/read a few negative reviews of the Retrofreak myself. The Retron 5 generally gets good reviews though.

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:40 am

Hey peeps. I haven't been here is ages but since I have a retron 5 Ill respond.

I bought a retron 5 knowing that it just emulates the games but I liked that I could play using original controllers , and I could use original games in the system. That's really all. in the past when I played games I would download emulators and roms and just play them on my PC and for the most part I still do. Though I do like to go back and play games I own, on the system with the original controllers.

I don't need to re buy the classic consoles and I never have had the desire to, so I like that I can play NES, SNES , genesis and famicon and even GBA games in one console. I'm not a big classic game collector , but on occasion I will go to a flea market or a cash converters and pick up an old school video game that I used to really enjoy.

I haven't used it all that much and I'm not quite sure if you can use the SD card to run roms off of? anyone know. I think that would make me use it quite a bit more.

I don't game as much as I used to. Old school or current games, but for someone like myself the system was a good purchase.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm

If you want to play the classics, why not get the OG systems and then flash carts like the everdrive? Best of both worlds; real hardware, and access to a world of ROMs!
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46 pm

I like the idea of the everdrive.......A LOT!
I saw a SEE JAY ARE (is that how it's spelled) where he had one for TurboGrafx.
Until recently you could find them on Ali Express, but now they vanished.

The idea behind them I love, original hardware, original controllers, and ROM's....simple, easy, cost effective.

I'm a sucker for tech at times. I have my OUYA, which I like, and use on occasion.
I'm picking up a RETRON5 off MKP1Start (thanks buddy!) and I have two Pi projects I'm yet to complete.
Yet I still want the NES MINI and if I can find them for a good price I'd like the everdrive's also.

Essentially 5 or 6 of something that do the same one thing! (If the wife knew she'd hide my wallet!)
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:04 am

mike boss wrote:Until recently you could find them on Ali Express, but now they vanished.

Buy direct from the developer Krikzz http://krikzz.com/store/, this is where I bought my beloved Mega Everdrive X7. If you are not keen on buying things from Ukraine, then you can buy from StoneAgeGamer http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/.

The price may look a bit high, but consider what you are getting. An entire library of games for a system. save huge money, and space. Buy en Everdrive and be done. They are quality products.
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:05 pm

So my buddy Lucas (MKPlayer1start on here...or I think that is the user name............anyway) dropped by today on his way to Pickering Flea Market.
He dropped off the RETRON5 to me. Seems really cool, so far I like what I see.
The ability to play ROMS, HDMI and Wireless..........SOLD! I emailed Hyperkin to see if I could use a PS3 controller on it.
I couldn't find any info online regarding that.

I need to track down my ROM sets now for the Retron. I think console emulation is not as picky as MAME when it comes to the ROMs.
(I could be wrong)

I'm just wondering what size SD card I should get. I also wanna find some cheap Gameboy carts as I have none. You need the cart inserted to load a ROM. So I'll pick up some various cheap carts to access this feature.

Next up is head out to see Lucas and copy his Pi SD card !

Thanks again buddy!
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”