Project Scorpio Specs released

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Project Scorpio Specs released

Postby jasonec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 am

Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: Project Scorpio Specs released

Postby theyangman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 am

I hope you are being sarcastic....

There is nothing like this out there right now, or the foreseeable future. This is an absolute beast on paper.....
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:35 am

theyangman wrote:I hope you are being sarcastic....

There is nothing like this out there right now, or the foreseeable future. This is an absolute beast on paper.....

An average gaming PC beats this right now though.....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

fsa

Postby fsa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am

Well all that power to play 1st person shooters!

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

jasonec wrote:

PC gaming vs. Console gaming is a line that is obviously extremely blurred right now, but the biggest argument for consoles will still be:

1. Price. You can't build a nice PC gaming rig for 400-500 dollars. If you can, sign me up. I could use a new computer anyways.
2. Exclusive titles. While many games are cross platform now especially with the new Xbox Game Pass and Playstation Now, there will still be titles that can only be played on consoles.
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am

theyangman wrote:
jasonec wrote:

PC gaming vs. Console gaming is a line that is obviously extremely blurred right now, but the biggest argument for consoles will still be:

1. Price. You can't build a nice PC gaming rig for 400-500 dollars. If you can, sign me up. I could use a new computer anyways.
2. Exclusive titles. While many games are cross platform now especially with the new Xbox Game Pass and Playstation Now, there will still be titles that can only be played on consoles.

Those are both good points for sure.
I bought an Xbox One so I could play Raiden V (which is an exclusive on Xbox One).
Also finished Rise of the Tomb Raider on it, but only because it came with that game when I bought it ;-)

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:46 am

realistically those are the only two points keeping console gaming alive.

Unless you're Nintendo. Then you can keep making gimmicky consoles forever. They don't necessarily go after the same target market as Sony and MS tho.
I want more games...

ken_cinder
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ken_cinder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:49 am

theyangman wrote:
jasonec wrote:

I can upgrade my PC for $400-$500 and stomp a mudhole in that thing...does everyone build a new PC from the ground up every ~5 years? That's an argument I see a lot from strictly console gamers and it's weaksauce. You don't need a new case, drives or power supply every time(In fact my PSU load DROPPED on my last big upgrade due to lower power consumption)
In 4 years I've upgraded my CPU and GPU to the tune of MAYBE $400...and it already stomps a mudhole in that thing, and it's not even current. The only spec that exceeds would be RAM bandwidth, but a shared pool of GDDR5 will be waiting if you know how computers work at their core. Dedicated RAM for CPU and GPU is always better, that's a cost savings measure.
Last edited by ken_cinder on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:54 am

ken_cinder wrote:
theyangman wrote:
jasonec wrote:

I can upgrade my PC for $400-$500 and stomp a mudhole in that thing...does everyone build a new PC from the ground up every ~5 years? That's an argument I see a lot from strictly console gamers and it's weaksauce.
In 4 years I've upgraded my CPU and GPU to the tune of MAYBE $400...and it already stomps a mudhole in that thing, and it's not even current.

This is from the viewpoint of starting at ground zero, yes. You can argue that an upgrade is substantially less, I agree. I don't sit on either side of the fence personally, I do not own a current or even previous gen console, nor to I own a PC that can run anything remotely current. Hence from my point of view it would be a full blown, new system.
I want more games...

ken_cinder
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ken_cinder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:59 am

theyangman wrote:
ken_cinder wrote:
theyangman wrote:

I can upgrade my PC for $400-$500 and stomp a mudhole in that thing...does everyone build a new PC from the ground up every ~5 years? That's an argument I see a lot from strictly console gamers and it's weaksauce.
In 4 years I've upgraded my CPU and GPU to the tune of MAYBE $400...and it already stomps a mudhole in that thing, and it's not even current.

This is from the viewpoint of starting at ground zero, yes. You can argue that an upgrade is substantially less, I agree. I don't sit on either side of the fence personally, I do not own a current or even previous gen console, nor to I own a PC that can run anything remotely current. Hence from my point of view it would be a full blown, new system.

I don't pay $80 for controllers or games either...yes there's a base cost, but once you have a system built and you compare even software savings on PC(Cheap keys or sales etc), and the fact you aren't relying on backwards compatibility(I can still play my PC games from the PS1 era on the same system) hopes, and can use basically any controller you want instead of paying almost $100 for ONE, I'd say cost-wise PC gaming is superior.

That inital layout if you're going top of the line is nuts, if you run a lean system not loaded with bloatware...you'll laugh at all these people dropping 2 grand on Crossfire/SLI video cards to crank resolution before details(Which is ass backwards)

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:03 am

Specs look pretty sweet, now if only their was something I wanted to play I might pick one up.

Hey Ken, what would you spec out for a decent gaming computer? I used to keep up on hardware but am pretty lost nowadays.

Radcrap
timbit
timbit

Postby Radcrap » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 pm

To be honest the pleasure of consoles is being lost as they are becoming little more than being Custom PCs. I miss being able to put a game in a system and just playing. Now I have to wait through updates and downloads, installation, etc.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Radcrap wrote:To be honest the pleasure of consoles is being lost as they are becoming little more than being Custom PCs. I miss being able to put a game in a system and just playing. Now I have to wait through updates and downloads, installation, etc.

I totally agree - console gaming is really more of a 90s to 2000s thing IMO.

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 am

Project Scorpio... The bane of Harry Callahan's existence... At least for the first movie.

New consoles are lost on me. I remember at age like 27, my mom asked if I wanted the new PlayStation 3 or something for my Birthday... I just looked at her like "no, I want what you're on!"... The idea of a new and free console seemed like a waste to me at the time. The magic was lost... Until I found a Colecovision in the basement.

I feel like console gaming was dominant in an era where computers were still at a point that most people couldn't afford to upgrade or buy new computers as often. I remember every time a new game came out, my computer got suckier and suckier. With a console, it just worked, and could deliver quality graphics.

Nowadays, computers are much easier to afford, and their cost is more justifiable as we have become more dependent on computers for daily activities. That's not to say gamers build multitasking machines, but there is definitely a lot more of the public able to play computer games nowadays as their equipment is more capable.

So now a console looks like a dumbed down PC. Just like consoles took the arcade home, the PC takes the whole lot of gaming and puts it into one box. In today's day and age, people seem to like the swiss army knife approach, where one thing is very capable... Myself, I have a separate component for everything in my audio chain... I am stubborn... So naturally my computer sucks, and I've got a bunch of fidgety consoles :lol:

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:14 am

mortron wrote:Project Scorpio... The bane of Harry Callahan's existence... At least for the first movie.

New consoles are lost on me. I remember at age like 27, my mom asked if I wanted the new PlayStation 3 or something for my Birthday... I just looked at her like "no, I want what you're on!"... The idea of a new and free console seemed like a waste to me at the time. The magic was lost... Until I found a Colecovision in the basement.

I feel like console gaming was dominant in an era where computers were still at a point that most people couldn't afford to upgrade or buy new computers as often. I remember every time a new game came out, my computer got suckier and suckier. With a console, it just worked, and could deliver quality graphics.

Nowadays, computers are much easier to afford, and their cost is more justifiable as we have become more dependent on computers for daily activities. That's not to say gamers build multitasking machines, but there is definitely a lot more of the public able to play computer games nowadays as their equipment is more capable.

So now a console looks like a dumbed down PC. Just like consoles took the arcade home, the PC takes the whole lot of gaming and puts it into one box. In today's day and age, people seem to like the swiss army knife approach, where one thing is very capable... Myself, I have a separate component for everything in my audio chain... I am stubborn... So naturally my computer sucks, and I've got a bunch of fidgety consoles :lol:

The console industry today sort of reminds me of this (NSFW for those reading this post at work!)

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”