Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: Project Scorpio Specs released

Postby Law212 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 pm

theyangman wrote:
jasonec wrote:
theyangman wrote:I hope you are being sarcastic....

There is nothing like this out there right now, or the foreseeable future. This is an absolute beast on paper.....

An average gaming PC beats this right now though.....

PC gaming vs. Console gaming is a line that is obviously extremely blurred right now, but the biggest argument for consoles will still be:

1. Price. You can't build a nice PC gaming rig for 400-500 dollars. If you can, sign me up. I could use a new computer anyways.
2. Exclusive titles. While many games are cross platform now especially with the new Xbox Game Pass and Playstation Now, there will still be titles that can only be played on consoles.

Being a mainly PC gamer , I have to jump in.....

You CAN build a good gaming PC for 500 bucks. Look up potato mashers. There are many guides on how to build a great gaming PC that will run current games well for 500 bucks.

As for exclusives, the years have shown that more and more "exclusives " also come to PC. I am a Raiden fan as well, but I know that raiden V will hit PC eventually.... all the other ones did. ALso lots of "exclusive" games have come to PC after some time. Dead rising 3 was xbox one exclusive....until it came to PC....

gears of war 4 came to PC, Tekken 7 just came out on PC yesterday. Street fighter 5 is on PC and its not even on xbox one.
I will then add.... Play a game like Gears of war 4 on xbox, then using game anywhere , DL it to PC and play it there. Big difference from load times to framerate and graphics.

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:31 pm

jasonec wrote:
Radcrap wrote:To be honest the pleasure of consoles is being lost as they are becoming little more than being Custom PCs. I miss being able to put a game in a system and just playing. Now I have to wait through updates and downloads, installation, etc.

I totally agree - console gaming is really more of a 90s to 2000s thing IMO.

I loved my retron 5 .... so mad it doesn't work anymore. popping in a game and having to only use 2 buttons to enjoy it was a pretty great thing.

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:47 am

Law212 wrote:
theyangman wrote:
jasonec wrote:
An average gaming PC beats this right now though.....

PC gaming vs. Console gaming is a line that is obviously extremely blurred right now, but the biggest argument for consoles will still be:

1. Price. You can't build a nice PC gaming rig for 400-500 dollars. If you can, sign me up. I could use a new computer anyways.
2. Exclusive titles. While many games are cross platform now especially with the new Xbox Game Pass and Playstation Now, there will still be titles that can only be played on consoles.

Being a mainly PC gamer , I have to jump in.....

You CAN build a good gaming PC for 500 bucks. Look up potato mashers. There are many guides on how to build a great gaming PC that will run current games well for 500 bucks.

I too am curious how to go about building a new computer for $500 CAN. I checked a few of those potato masher builds, most are using older hardware (LGA1156 socket) so you can't really find that new anymore. So only option seems to be ebay and prices on there are not cheap. I have no problem buying a used cpu but a used motherboard just seems like a bad idea.

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:02 pm

You can buy a used anything. I used to build PCs by buying parts off kijiji all the time. I also sold parts on there too and I had a motherboard not work and the guy let me return it and gave me a refund. Also I sold a monitor , the guy wasn't happy with it and I let him return it....

THese days though I tend to buy new. It may be harder to get some older parts , but they are out there if you look.
Right now my GPU is a GTX 660ti and it runs most games on high still. Its a great card but I'm looking to upgrade to a 10070 or a 1080 and I might be selling this if I don't build another system and put in the 660ti. and people sell their old parts all the time when they upgrade.

Shoe
timbit
timbit

Postby Shoe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Just for fun, I decided to see how much computer I could put together for the price of a Scorpio. Mileage may vary as far as parts compatibility and availability, but the results are still interesting.

Caveats:

1. Most outlets are projecting Scorpio will cost $499 USD, so our "apples to apples" budget would be around $675 CAD.

2. Scorpio is still a long way off, and we'll probably see refreshed lineups and/or price drops from AMD and Nvidia in the meantime. This build isn't quite as powerful as Scorpio, but the gap will close considerably by launch.

3. I included a decent case, PSU, and hard drive for fairness' sake. If you already have a PC (purchased in the last decade), there's a good chance you can reuse some/all of those parts, freeing up an extra $125 or so for a better CPU or GPU.

Build list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/shoegaze/saved/RYdkLk
Price: $658.64 CAD (after rebates, as of Jun 5 2017)

Notes:

• The 6100 is a little beast. Paired with a decent card, it should hold its own in any game at 1080p, and might even hang at 1440p if you're targeting 30fps. I expect it'll also have above average resale value, which is nice if you decide to upgrade to an i5 down the road.
  • The 3GB GTX 1060 and 4GB RX 580 are both fine cards, and choosing one will likely come down to which is on sale when you do your shopping. Both will manage a comfortable 60fps @ 1080p on very high settings in virtually every game on the market, and will absolutely crush stuff like Overwatch and League of Legends. For not much more money, you can upgrade to the 6GB version of the 1060 (or the 8GB version of the 580), which would likely put you on even footing with Scorpio.
  • The ASRock motherboard I selected should be adequate for 90% of gamers, but advanced users may want something with more PCIe slots, more memory slots, RAID support, etc.
  • I'd recommend an SSD in addition to (or instead of) the HDD, but again, I figure most people have these in their current PC, so only included a storage drive for the sake of fair comparisons.

It's hard to say exactly how close to Scorpio this build gets you. An educated guess is that the Scorpio (6tflops) will perform about on par with the 8GB version of the RX 580 (6.1tflops). The GTX 1060 (4.4 tflops) lags behind on paper, but often outperforms the 580 in actual games. In this build, we're looking at the smaller 3/4GB versions of those two cards, which are about 10% slower.

For reference, the Xbox One is estimated at 1.3 tflops, so all of the hardware we're talking about here is significantly more powerful than current-gen consoles.

Just some food for thought!

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Shoe wrote:Just for fun, I decided to see how much computer I could put together for the price of a Scorpio. Mileage may vary as far as parts compatibility and availability, but the results are still interesting.

Caveats:

1. Most outlets are projecting Scorpio will cost $499 USD, so our "apples to apples" budget would be around $675 CAD.

2. Scorpio is still a long way off, and we'll probably see refreshed lineups and/or price drops from AMD and Nvidia in the meantime. This build isn't quite as powerful as Scorpio, but the gap will close considerably by launch.

3. I included a decent case, PSU, and hard drive for fairness' sake. If you already have a PC (purchased in the last decade), there's a good chance you can reuse some/all of those parts, freeing up an extra $125 or so for a better CPU or GPU.

Build list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/shoegaze/saved/RYdkLk
Price: $658.64 CAD (after rebates, as of Jun 5 2017)

Notes:

• The 6100 is a little beast. Paired with a decent card, it should hold its own in any game at 1080p, and might even hang at 1440p if you're targeting 30fps. I expect it'll also have above average resale value, which is nice if you decide to upgrade to an i5 down the road.
  • The 3GB GTX 1060 and 4GB RX 580 are both fine cards, and choosing one will likely come down to which is on sale when you do your shopping. Both will manage a comfortable 60fps @ 1080p on very high settings in virtually every game on the market, and will absolutely crush stuff like Overwatch and League of Legends. For not much more money, you can upgrade to the 6GB version of the 1060 (or the 8GB version of the 580), which would likely put you on even footing with Scorpio.
  • The ASRock motherboard I selected should be adequate for 90% of gamers, but advanced users may want something with more PCIe slots, more memory slots, RAID support, etc.
  • I'd recommend an SSD in addition to (or instead of) the HDD, but again, I figure most people have these in their current PC, so only included a storage drive for the sake of fair comparisons.

It's hard to say exactly how close to Scorpio this build gets you. An educated guess is that the Scorpio (6tflops) will perform about on par with the 8GB version of the RX 580 (6.1tflops). The GTX 1060 (4.4 tflops) lags behind on paper, but often outperforms the 580 in actual games. In this build, we're looking at the smaller 3/4GB versions of those two cards, which are about 10% slower.

For reference, the Xbox One is estimated at 1.3 tflops, so all of the hardware we're talking about here is significantly more powerful than current-gen consoles.

Just some food for thought!

Well, I can't argue with the numbers.......good analysis!
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Good article on this from PC Gamer today:

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-micros ... _pcgamerfb
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Doc Kaos
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Doc Kaos » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Here's my thoughts. 90% of the games you see today call them selves "Rogue Like" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Rogue ran fine on a 1980's PC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(video_game)

So really, if you want the best, the one that everyone is trying to emulate, you can literally run it on your fridge http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-fridge.html

Stop settling for modern day imitations of the classics :D

TL;DR: Your current computer can run rogue. Stopping searching for "Rogue Like"
Rebaken Enterprises - Video game development

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”