Anybody know anything about Pokemon Cards?

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Anybody know anything about Pokemon Cards?

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Sun May 28, 2017 5:22 pm

I just picked up several cases of cards for a buck at a yard sale, having no idea about Pokemon cards in the slightest but thinking I've spent a dollar in worse ways lol. In Googling them, the values seem to vary drastically with a Charizard or whatever going for maybe 5-10 bucks up to thousands for what seems to be the same card. Most of the cards seem to be from the basic set with some others being from fossil (?) or Wizards Promo (?). There are also a bunch of foil cards (Mewtwo was one off the top of my head) and others that I would think would have been worth something (Pikachu, Bulbasaur, other more recognizable names). Most of the cards are in quite good shape, while there are a few others that I would say have been played with.

Anyways, how do I tell a 2 dollar card from a 2000 dollar one, anyone know a good place near Toronto-Mississauga where I can maybe take them and see if they're worth anything? I can take some pics if it would help lol

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Anybody know anything about Pokemon Cards?

Postby Gameguy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 am

I know they're worth about $0.05 each when sold in bulk. That's about it. Otherwise you'll have to look up each card individually.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Haha, yeah I found out most are worth about that much, but I did find about 7 cards in the whole lot worth about $200USD on professor-oak.com, not that I would probably get anywhere near that though. I have them up on Kijiji right now and be lucky to see maybe $120.00CDN...still not bad for a buck though.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

Gen 1 Pokemon cards vary WILDLY depending on which edition it is.

Base set as it is commonly referred to as (the first, original set) was reprinted several times.

the hologram Charizard that is most valuable comes from the Base set, 1st edition. This is the card you see going for 1000's WHEN GRADED. This is key, without a grading on the card, it is not nearly as valuable.

You can tell ALL first edition cards from the stamp in the middle left of the card:

You will also see the term "Shadowless" thrown around as well. Shadowless vs. Shadowed is exactly what it sounds like.

ALL Edition 1 cards are shadowless.

read more here: http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-is-a-SHADO ... 025/g.html

The shadow is not on the character, but the golden border surrounding the artwork. I've highlighted it for you to see easier.

Hope it helps. (I'm kinda into card collecting too.... lol)
I want more games...

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”