Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Q B
stubby
stubby

HDMI to component adapter?

Postby Q B » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:17 am

Hey all

anyone know the best way or product to take an HDMI feed from an xbox 360 and connect it to a CRT tv with component. for older fighting and beat em up games etc. I know the xbox 360 comes with a composite and component cable. The issue is I am running it to a capture device that will take HDMI and S video on but only p pass though out to HDMI <-- This feed is what I want to connect back the CRT tv via component
Sega Astro City 2.

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Re: HDMI to component adapter?

Postby tekkaraiden » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 am

So I was curious if it was possible to have them both plugged in at the same time so I tried it. You can but there is a catch, the hdmi gets priority (you can't have both on at the same time and you also have to break apart an xbox component cable.

As for hdmi to component converter/adaptor you could try this;

https://www.amazon.ca/Portta-Component-Converter-support-Channels/dp/B00A8FIQXA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00A8FIQXA&pd_rd_r=09H1H6TAE4S1J9AMREWE&pd_rd_w=Bq8cZ&pd_rd_wg=ajjKD&psc=1&refRID=09H1H6TAE4S1J9AMREWE&linkCode=ll1&tag=seriouslytcom-20&linkId=afae054580c9fb1fbeea01657ae717ce

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:32 pm

welp .. I ordered from amazon Prime delivered today.

This.. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JVNUAEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and well, it didn't work out. it made the image weird and worse than the component hook up itself. I basically did what I believed this box is suppose to do, I took the feed from the xbox 360 into the HDMI in and used component cables out to the back of the tv in the component plugs and I tried all the different resolutions. On the xbox 360 it only worked on 720/1080 going to the box out put said 720 x 480 60 this is the only one that had a stable image all resolutions were not shown on the tv correctly ...

The image was stable but bad , low color and had lag which defeats my whole purpose here. I am trying to stream through the elgato box which has a pass through HDMI , and was hoping to use my crt for Street fighter 3 third strike and other low res 2 fighting games i have on my xbox 360...

Not sure what went wrong, the box says it can downscale to 480i I believed that is what the tv is but it didn't work.. :censored:

Guess I may have to play on the HDMI monitor :(

The component cable for the xbox 360 looks pretty good on it's own, but when I add the scaler, pfffft doo doo baby
Sega Astro City 2.

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Between the downscaler and the video capture device... I could see why it would lag. It's going from a digital signal to an analog signal.

Sorry to hear what you are going through.

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Thing is I didn't even run it through the capture card yet, The HDMI passthrough I was just trying to get it stable first through the HDMI to component lol

well I got it to fill the screen properly by going in the video settings of the game and "stretching it" that made it a proper looking 4:3 filled screen But that was weird to do and the lag input was too noticeable. Will be returning this box tomorrow and might have to do more research.. thanks for listening.
Sega Astro City 2.

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:02 am

well I think I found a work around. It's actually pretty simple. Was hoping maybe one of you would of told me but I finally figured it out.

All I have to do is split the component cable from the xbox 360 and use their breakout cable from elgato that has a proper A/V plug

Take one of the split signals and feed it to the tv, feed the other to the capture card Image

with the above cable and I am good to go.. sheesh

I just thought I post the resolution to this problem just in case someone was having the same issue :roll:
Sega Astro City 2.

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Postby tekkaraiden » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:56 am

So I assume it wasn't a s-video in it was an a/v in instead? What capture device do you use?

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I have 2 Elgato HD Capture, one is with the A/V and capped at 30fps, you can buy a composite and component break cable from Elgato to connect to the A/V port. The newer one, my Elgato HD60 is well 60, frames and has no A/V port just HDMI..

I sent back the HDMI yo Component lag box today... Gotta love Amazon Prime.
Sega Astro City 2.

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”