Possible score? Amazing Tater at Value Village

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Possible score? Amazing Tater at Value Village

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Anyone know much about Game Boy games? Was looki :mrgreen: :| ng through some games at Value Village and came across Amazing Tater for the original Game Boy for $4.99, I'd never heard of it before but I quickly googled it and it seems to be quite rare? Anyone heard of this game before? Is it only some special variation that is valuable or doesn't matter.

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Possible score? Amazing Tater at Value Village

Postby Gameguy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 am

Very nice find. I never played it but it's the sequel to Kwirk if it helps. Kwirk is pretty common for the system.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:05 am

Sweet! I was finally able to test it last night and was happy to find that it does indeed work just fine. Anyone have experience with cleaning cartridges? The front looks like its just grime, but the back looks like there is maybe some discoloration or something.

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Gameguy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am

CanadianRyGuy wrote:Sweet! I was finally able to test it last night and was happy to find that it does indeed work just fine. Anyone have experience with cleaning cartridges? The front looks like its just grime, but the back looks like there is maybe some discoloration or something.

Usually just paper towel and Windex. Or Goo Gone on stubborn stuff first, then Windex. Just be careful around the label.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Amazing Tater is VERY rare on the original Gameboy.

It is the probably the most expensive Gameboy game actually if I recall my GB prices properly.

If you found that at Value Village, that is one hell of a score man.

Congrats.
I want more games...

amona
timbit
timbit

Postby amona » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 am

I just did a quick look on ebay and they seem to sell around 499 all the time.

Probably closer to 400 is more realistic.

So about the only difference i can see between what you paid and what they sell for is the location of the decimal point.

I would say you did alright
Surf's up space ponies, I'm making gravy without the lumps.

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks all for your replies!

Guess I'd finally hit the jackpot at VV...I've found that they are usually pretty good about pricing their games according to their values, but some stores on occasion have seemed to just slap a generic price on certain games. This just happened to be in a small basket at their front counter with a bunch of other GB/GBA/DS games and they had a few copies of Tetris that were also $4.99. I actually went through the games, saw nothing I recognized and told her to put them back, then was googling it as I walked the rest of the store and briskly walked back when I saw its value lol. In the past, I'd found some other games like this as well (GoldenEye/Cruisn' USA for N64 each for $4.99 as well) I suppose I'll clean it up as best I can and maybe see if I can sell it or trade it. I've now made the mistake of telling the wife what its potentially worth, she's probably expecting cash to be used elsewhere lol.
Anybody looking for to possibly purchase or know the best place to sell?

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 pm

the values on eBay are obviously higher due to the exposure and that you deal with fees. On a facebook group or local swap meet, I wouldn't expect that game to fetch more than 300 or 350. Hardcore collectors almost never pay eBay retail values for a game.

Now, this is USD we are talking about though as price charting and eBay values are all USD.

You're going to need to find an above average GB collector if you want someone to pony up big bucks for it. It isn't for the casual collector at that price point.
I want more games...

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Wow. Thats one hell of a find. Amazing Tater and Spuds Advenure are two of the rarest and most valueable games for the original gameboy.

Declaritive

Postby Declaritive » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 am

Wow. That is insane. Find of a lifetime right there. I thought finding Splatterhouse 2 for $4 was a score.

The thrift stores around me have got worse in the last year or 2 (especially Value Village).It's almost not even worth going anymore because they all put anything worth a damn behind a glass case marked at double its value, or at worst it's marked what you'd pay anywhere else for it. It's never been this bad. The stores have caught on to retro and price accordingly, and you're competing with tons, TONS of other people looking for this stuff. But seeing stuff like this gives me a shred of hope that there is still stuff that can be found out there.
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, have at you!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my video game blog: http://declaritive.blogspot.ca/

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:24 am

Declaritive wrote:Wow. That is insane. Find of a lifetime right there. I thought finding Splatterhouse 2 for $4 was a score.

The thrift stores around me have got worse in the last year or 2 (especially Value Village).It's almost not even worth going anymore because they all put anything worth a damn behind a glass case marked at double its value, or at worst it's marked what you'd pay anywhere else for it. It's never been this bad. The stores have caught on to retro and price accordingly, and you're competing with tons, TONS of other people looking for this stuff. But seeing stuff like this gives me a shred of hope that there is still stuff that can be found out there.

Yeah, my wife and I have been to most of the VV's around the GTA many times and you just kind of get a sense for which ones you can get deals at and which are not really worth your time. If you donate stuff, they give you cards for 30% off which can be significant if you're at a place that prices things at fair values. I've picked up crap from people's curbs and took it straight there for the discount cards lol. I picked up a copy of Cybernator for SNES last week for $8 less 30%...if you're patient you can still find deals.

Declaritive

Postby Declaritive » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am

Yeah I've done the donations thing before but they changed it around in the new year, at least at mine. Now whenever you donate stuff, you'll get a single hole punch towards a 30% discount. You have to get 6 in total to earn 30%. And now they're only good til a certain amount of time. On top of that, and probably the worst thing in my opinion, is you can't use the 30% discount on any purchase over $100. Which almost defeats the purpose of a discount, I personally used them on any big purchases like that! I'm not going to use it on a $6 item to save $2, it seems like a waste lol. I think they had to change it cause people were probably taking advantage of "donate random stuff and get 30% discounts". My friend donated random bags of stuff and they gave him multiple discount cards at once! Maybe the employees just don't care. Hell, I donated some Wii accesories like the sports attachments for remotes, and some ps2 sports games. Guy didn't even look in the bag, just, here you go! I wouldn't be surprised if they junked that stuff.

The problem is you almost can't get a deal without using the 30% discount, it just feels like extra work now.
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, have at you!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my video game blog: http://declaritive.blogspot.ca/

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:47 am

Hmm, maybe they have actually changed it, been a while since I donated anything. I know they used to also have a program where you got punches on a card every time you shopped there as well which they got rid of recently as well.

To be honest, I often will let my wife do the donating as she always gets more cards/punches than I do lol

I get that they probably make the bulk of their money off of a smaller percentage of donated goods that they receive that are actually worth anything, so they're trying to maximize their returns on that stuff, but they only make money if it sells...so if they keep jacking the prices, they will lose customers and the product will just sit.

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”