what do you think of people who do this?

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Q B
stubby
stubby

what do you think of people who do this?

Postby Q B » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 pm

:roll:

Sega Astro City 2.

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Re: what do you think of people who do this?

Postby tekkaraiden » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:38 pm

Not much, like all scalpers I just hope they get stuck with all of them.

Gis

Postby Gis » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:27 pm

I think it's a high risk high reward thing.

If the companies are able to keep up with the supply relatively quickly their gimmick won't really work. It also begs the question, if people are ready to pay such high prices for the consoles, doesn't that just mean that its value is higher? I doubt a big handful of people who buys several units had a real huge impact on the production line. Buying out a market is very difficult as an individual.

Seeing as they made 11 million units for the PS5 initial batch, I don't think a combined few hundred guys from around the world hogging 40 of them really makes that big of a difference.

Personally I don't really care as I simply play with my arcades. :mrgreen:

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:01 am

I think hoarding a commodity for profit is shitty for folks that are just looking for one. But in this case it seems pretty stupid to ask $300 - $400 above retail when we all know to expect more consoles to become available sometime soon.

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:16 pm

I dont think much of it. I think anyone who would pay those prices just to have one right now deserves to be mocked.

Supply will meet demand soon enough and the games are just upgrades from the previous gen at this point so you wont miss anything waiting a few months. Also, stores still have stock at least from what I have seen

AllanSim
loonie
loonie

Postby AllanSim » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 am

I agree with what's been said before about it but i realize this is just a christmas gouge thing where a parent needs to get that big gift for their kid to stick under the tree before dec 25th and they'll overpay if there's no supply anywhere else. I don't think there's any must-play title exclusives for it. The nearest i can think of is miles morales spiderman but if you have a ps4 you can play it there -- unless your ps4 has died recently and you want to move to the next hardware level instead of buying a used one. The rest of us don't really need it and personally i think they're pretty ugly to look at. It's too early for me to say this probably but I might skip this generation of playstation if i can get the big exclusives on PS4 for a year or so still. As for an xbox...why has anyone needed one of these beyond the 360 again?

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 pm

AllanSim wrote: As for an xbox...why has anyone needed one of these beyond the 360 again?

oh NO you didn't :evil: :lol:
Sega Astro City 2.

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Gameguy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:34 am

Gis wrote:If the companies are able to keep up with the supply relatively quickly their gimmick won't really work.

With most retail stores getting shut down because of Covid there's probably going to be a higher demand for people buying these from scalpers. The few retail stores that may both stock these and remain open might be sold out often, or it'll be a pain to shop there with low maximum occupancy limits causing long lines. It wasn't so bad back in the spring and summer but it's winter now so waiting a half hour outside just to get into a store will be unpleasant.

Not that I like the whole scalpers thing but every year there's always something that gets sold like this before Christmas, it's just that this year there's Covid added to it too.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:57 pm

It's nothing new. Was no different when the PS2 was released in Oct 2000. It was in short supply and people were scalping them then. Some people do it to make ends meet. Some do it to fund their own video game purchases. I personally don't let it bother me. I'm still stuck at the PS2 and Xbox 360 :P

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”