MacBook Repair?

Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

User avatar
RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck
Posts: 6614
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

MacBook Repair?

Postby RayB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi folks....

Any of you in Toronto know where to get an older (2011) MacBook Pro fixed? It works but the screen appears "dead". I did everything they say to do online (resetting this, resetting that, shine a light through the logo to see if its just the backlight, etc). All except re-installing the OS. (How the F do you do that without being able to SEE what you're doing??)

Anyways, I'm hoping it's a minor fix... I've become a bit of a fan of Louis Rossmann, so I've got my hopes up for a simple fix: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZ ... Lax4Yisf6w

... question is, where to take it that is honest, reliable, and fairly priced?
Last edited by RayB on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
.
Image

User avatar
jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT
Posts: 11158
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby jasonec » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:54 pm

There's a place in Kitchener on King Street called "We Repair Macs" that's basically like the KW version of Louis Rossmann.
Just don't expect any help from Apple: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1339717187772
Image
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Class of '81, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

User avatar
RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck
Posts: 6614
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby RayB » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:37 am

jasonec wrote:There's a place in Kitchener on King Street called "We Repair Macs" that's basically like the KW version of Louis Rossmann.

Love that guy!
jasonec wrote:Just don't expect any help from Apple: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1339717187772

Oh I don't. That's why I'm posting here and other places for recommendations. My screen stopped working right after an OS upgrade (Sierra to High Sierra). It's very suspicious. Could also just be a loose cable, or simple burnt out board component. There's no way I'm handing any money over to Apple, knowing they will suggest exhorbitant prices or buying a new one. (I paid nothing for this one!)
.

Image

User avatar
jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT
Posts: 11158
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby jasonec » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:52 am

RayB wrote:I paid nothing for this one!


Nice! But I think you overpaid a bit.
Image
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Class of '81, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

User avatar
v.g.lover
stubby
stubby
Posts: 950
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:37 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby v.g.lover » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:41 pm

If it's a 2007/2008 MacBook Pro, there was a known issue with the GPU where it would overheat and lift from the board. Had this issue with mine, had to remove the logic board and put it in the oven/heat the GPU with a heat gun to get it to reattach.
~Gamin' ain't much of a livin'~

User avatar
Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck
Posts: 3049
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby Gameguy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:24 pm

RayB wrote:My screen stopped working right after an OS upgrade (Sierra to High Sierra). It's very suspicious. Could also just be a loose cable, or simple burnt out board component.

Was the screen ever replaced previously? I remember an issue Louis Rossmann said on a few of his videos where Apple made an update that disabled the brightness on aftermarket screens. I forget which models he said were affected.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)
Image

User avatar
RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck
Posts: 6614
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby RayB » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 am

Gameguy wrote:
RayB wrote:My screen stopped working right after an OS upgrade (Sierra to High Sierra). It's very suspicious. Could also just be a loose cable, or simple burnt out board component.

Was the screen ever replaced previously? I remember an issue Louis Rossmann said on a few of his videos where Apple made an update that disabled the brightness on aftermarket screens. I forget which models he said were affected.

I saw a similar video from him where he was then selling screen inventory he could no longer use (with his autograph on it). Was that the one you're thinking of? I think that was newer 13".

To be honest, the same thought crossed my mind. I got this 17" MBP second-hand but barely used condition. It looked new and the internals 100% dust-free. It already had upgraded RAM and SSD from OWC. So who knows if the screen is original. It did konk out right after doing a Sierra to High Sierra update that I had held off doing for months. I had it updating on another desk in my office, forgot about it, then looked over and the screen was off. Never came back since.

Steps I've taken:
If I turn on the voice assistant, it "speaks" that the login screen is coming up, etc. I can log in and tab through app panels, etc. So the system works.

When I try to change the screen brightness the voice assist says "0% brightness". I tried the flash-light trick (shining it through the logo on the back of the cover) and I see nothing. If the screen itself were working and not the backlight, I should see the cursor or other things when doing this.

I tried an external monitor and that didn't seem to work (but then I never did that before, so i'm not sure if you're supposed to enable something in the system, or acknowledge a prompt or what).

I've done the various system, SMC and PRAM reset advice that 99% of the web pages out there say to do. No difference. Some pages keep saying "if none of these work, re-install the OS" but how the F*** do you do that when you can't see anything?
.

Image

User avatar
jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT
Posts: 11158
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby jasonec » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:02 pm

RayB wrote:
Gameguy wrote:
RayB wrote:My screen stopped working right after an OS upgrade (Sierra to High Sierra). It's very suspicious. Could also just be a loose cable, or simple burnt out board component.

Was the screen ever replaced previously? I remember an issue Louis Rossmann said on a few of his videos where Apple made an update that disabled the brightness on aftermarket screens. I forget which models he said were affected.

I saw a similar video from him where he was then selling screen inventory he could no longer use (with his autograph on it). Was that the one you're thinking of? I think that was newer 13".

To be honest, the same thought crossed my mind. I got this 17" MBP second-hand but barely used condition. It looked new and the internals 100% dust-free. It already had upgraded RAM and SSD from OWC. So who knows if the screen is original. It did konk out right after doing a Sierra to High Sierra update that I had held off doing for months. I had it updating on another desk in my office, forgot about it, then looked over and the screen was off. Never came back since.

Steps I've taken:
If I turn on the voice assistant, it "speaks" that the login screen is coming up, etc. I can log in and tab through app panels, etc. So the system works.

When I try to change the screen brightness the voice assist says "0% brightness". I tried the flash-light trick (shining it through the logo on the back of the cover) and I see nothing. If the screen itself were working and not the backlight, I should see the cursor or other things when doing this.

I tried an external monitor and that didn't seem to work (but then I never did that before, so i'm not sure if you're supposed to enable something in the system, or acknowledge a prompt or what).

I've done the various system, SMC and PRAM reset advice that 99% of the web pages out there say to do. No difference. Some pages keep saying "if none of these work, re-install the OS" but how the F*** do you do that when you can't see anything?


I think you should reinstall the OS.
Image
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Class of '81, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

User avatar
Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck
Posts: 3049
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby Gameguy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:47 am

RayB wrote:
Gameguy wrote:
RayB wrote:My screen stopped working right after an OS upgrade (Sierra to High Sierra). It's very suspicious. Could also just be a loose cable, or simple burnt out board component.

Was the screen ever replaced previously? I remember an issue Louis Rossmann said on a few of his videos where Apple made an update that disabled the brightness on aftermarket screens. I forget which models he said were affected.

I saw a similar video from him where he was then selling screen inventory he could no longer use (with his autograph on it). Was that the one you're thinking of? I think that was newer 13".

That's the main one I can think of, he did briefly mention the issue in a couple other videos of his. Mostly as unrelated talk while he was fixing something else. I don't really know much about Macs so I can't offer much other help or advice. I watch his videos as they're strangely entertaining.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

Image

User avatar
RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck
Posts: 6614
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby RayB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:06 am

jasonec wrote:I think you should reinstall the OS.

How do I down-vote a post in here?
Last edited by RayB on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.

Image

User avatar
jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT
Posts: 11158
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby jasonec » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm

RayB wrote:
jasonec wrote:I think you should reinstall the OS.

How do you down-vote a post in here?


That feature is only available if you are accessing this site from macOS :lol:
Image
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Class of '81, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

User avatar
ericball
timbit
timbit
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:03 am
Location: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby ericball » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Mainly Mac https://www.mainlymac.ca/ in Markham does out of warranty repairs. They've serviced both my wife's Macbook and my iMac.

User avatar
jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT
Posts: 11158
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:43 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Contact:

Re: MacBook Repair?

Postby jasonec » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:42 pm

ericball wrote:Mainly Mac https://www.mainlymac.ca/ in Markham does out of warranty repairs. They've serviced both my wife's Macbook and my iMac.


That shop looks great - I love that they do it in their own place!
Image
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Class of '81, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L


Return to “The Donut Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest