Canada Post Strike?

Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

briskbc
toonie
toonie

Canada Post Strike?

Postby briskbc » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:52 am

Well, it seems as though the Canada Post employees union may begin to strike on July 18th. The union, which
represents 45,000 workers, has been without a contract since Jan 31 and says Canada Post is demanding too many concessions, including cuts to benefits and
severance pay. This isn't a sure thing yet but I have a gut feeling it will happen.

Personally this sucks. I am selling on eBay right now to make
ends meet until my wife is off mat leave in September. I have many items to list for the rest of July. There may be no point now. I don't want to hurt
what is a decent feedback rating.

Crosses fingers.

omnedon
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby omnedon » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:20 am

That's rough. I've decided to hold off of Ebay till fall/ winter anyway, as summer sales numbers seem to suck. The possible strike is a
clincher for me to hold back.

/off gaming topic rant

I think those Posties have priced themselves right out of the market. You know why they
can contract out cheaper? Because many people would be happy to do that work for less pay. The writing is on the wall as far as I'm concerned. Here in
Edmonton, new neighbourhoods get superboxes, and no home delivery. Way back when, the carriers got their big pay. So now they use less letter carriers. Some
big win that is for them. Fewer new hires! Sounds like simple greed to me. There's always purolator, or Loomis, or UPS, or Fedex.....

TokenGamer
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby TokenGamer » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:21 am

i had no idea they were even thinking strike or didn't have a new contract. i don't pay too much
attention to the news anyhow.
this is another great reason to have this site up. since i don't care about watching the news or reading the paper, i get
all the info i need right here!

INTVGene
stubby
stubby

Postby INTVGene » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:52 am

I vaguely remember the last Canada Post strike. That one sucked.
Personally, I understand the striking and the issues involved, but it shouldn't ever get to a strike. The government should settle this before it happens.
But, I am talking ideallistically. The Canadian government I know, will sit on its ass and let them strike.

Why doesn't customs strike? At least
then I could avoid some of those crappy duty and extra taxes I always get hit with. :wink:

INTVGene
stubby
stubby

Postby INTVGene » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:27 pm

Any news yet? This strike is like 2 days away.

Both sides keep talking about
the viability of the Postal service. Yea, right... like it's got a long, prosperous future ahead of itself. I wouldn't invest in Canada Post's future,
unless I had to.

Mr-E_MaN
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Mr-E_MaN » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:12 pm

I hope they don't go
on strike. I wanted to buy some NES boxes that are a decent price, but I don't want to buy anything until I know for sure they will get here within a
reasonable amount of time.
~Rich

Return to “The Donut Shop”