Anyone here use Nerd Block / Arcade Block?

Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Anyone here use Nerd Block / Arcade Block?

Postby jasonec » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm wondering if it's actually cool, or just a bunch of random junk you get each month that you don't really want......

https://www.nerdblock.com/arcade
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Doc Kaos
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Anyone here use Nerd Block / Arcade Block?

Postby Doc Kaos » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:09 pm

I don't, but I do love getting stuff in the mail.
Rebaken Enterprises - Video game development

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:15 pm

I have a loot crate subscription. I bought 12 boxes (1 year) last year.

I will not be re-subscribing this year. I find the boxes too broad.

Even looking at some Arcade Block boxes on youtube, Arcade Block is highly misleading, it is a gaming box, nothing to do with arcade....

January 2016:
1. Mortal Kombat X Scorpion Bobblehead. Console
2. Ryu, SFV T-Shirt
3. Mario themed rubiks cube
4. Portal Tin Sign
5. Foam stress ball in the shape of Samus in her morph ball form from Metroid
6. Touque with a Pokeball on it.

Lame.....
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:42 pm

theyangman wrote:I have a loot crate subscription. I bought 12 boxes (1 year) last year.

I will not be re-subscribing this year. I find the boxes too broad.

Even looking at some Arcade Block boxes on youtube, Arcade Block is highly misleading, it is a gaming box, nothing to do with arcade....

January 2016:
1. Mortal Kombat X Scorpion Bobblehead. Console
2. Ryu, SFV T-Shirt
3. Mario themed rubiks cube
4. Portal Tin Sign
5. Foam stress ball in the shape of Samus in her morph ball form from Metroid
6. Touque with a Pokeball on it.

Lame.....

Sounds like a waste of $$.....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Those subscription boxes just show how consumerism has gone too far. It's no longer enough to buy specific single items of crap we don't need, but now we spend money on crap we know we don't need because we don't even know what it's going to be! Here's my money, send me whatever the fuck!

Give that money to a charity or a homeless person.

And yes, I realize the hypocrisy of these words coming from me, someone who's got big wastes of space (arcade machines) in his living room and plenty other collectibles I really don't need. Just had to vent.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:07 pm

RayB wrote:Those subscription boxes just show how consumerism has gone too far. It's no longer enough to buy specific single items of crap we don't need, but now we spend money on crap we know we don't need because we don't even know what it's going to be! Here's my money, send me whatever the fuck!

Give that money to a charity or a homeless person.

And yes, I realize the hypocrisy of these words coming from me, someone who's got big wastes of space (arcade machines) in his living room and plenty other collectibles I really don't need. Just had to vent.

I think and I bet most people who have these mystery box subscriptions will agree is that it is kinda fun to see what we get that month. It is like those grab bags we used to get as kids

Also getting something in the mail OTHER than bills or junk mail is kind of fun. In a day and age of emails and texts it is nice to get something in the mail that isn't a drag.

Sure, we have no clue what it might be, but for any geek or nerd out there like me, it is kinda fun to get a box full of stuff that you can open each month and look at for a few minutes.

That being said, I've tried it, and at least with Lootcrate I won't be re-subscribing, but I am sure going to move to a different mystery box company cause, I like the idea, I just need to find one that is a little more refined to my tastes is all. Lootcrate is a bit too broad, and Arcade block is mainly console related stuff.

To find a real retro/vintage box service would be nice, now I know they aren't going to be able to send REAL vintage items or retro toys but something definitely more inspired to that era would be my choice.
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:27 pm

I love surprise bags. But I think I'd get tired of constantly getting stuff I didn't want....

I should open a competitor to Arcade Block, where you get random parts every week - buttons, JAMMA harnesses, coin mechs, etc.
Nobody would mind that, since spare parts are always welcome..... 8)

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 am

Update:

My March Loot Crate has arrived, nothing crazy, but a neat one. The theme this month is Versus, in lieu if the new Batman V Superman Movie no doubt.

*** THESE ARE NOT MY PICS, I found them online just to reference what was in this month's crate.***

1. Star Trek T-Shirt - Pretty cool actually. Has already been claimed by my gf.

2. Daredevil/Punisher reversible toque - Lame, they sent a pikachu toque like 3 crates ago already:

3. Batman Vs. Superman Mighty Wallet - They apparently claim can't be ripped. It smells really weird. Won't be using it:

4.AVP plastic mystery figure - I actually got the alien which was the coolest one imo

5. Useless Harley Quinn comic - I didn't even remove it from the box:

6. The monthly pin:
I want more games...

Return to “The Donut Shop”