Need help solving Mother's Pizza argument

Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Need help solving Mother's Pizza argument

Postby jasonec » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:03 pm

Anyone else here been to one of the new Mother's Pizza locations?
Someone I know says the pizza isn't the same, but I find that it's exactly the same as the 80s (it was very clear to me the first time I tried it - their fried/baked crust is incredibly unique).
Thoughts?
Am I right, or totally out to lunch here?
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

underachiever
stubby
stubby

Re: Need help solving Mother's Pizza argument

Postby underachiever » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:59 am

I went to the one by Costco on King. Most likely the same one you were at. I found the pizza to be ok. The pricing wasn't great but not the worst value for the money. Place was fairly busy, not full, but yet the service was slow. Basically, I found the overall service and quality and value about 'on par' with a lot of 'new' places that the wife and I have been to in the last few years. Seems like they know that people will try the 'new' place and that keeps them going for a few years. The hard part is to impress me or my wife enough to make me want to drive out of my way to go back. This place just doesn't have it. I'd rather wait in line at Moose Winooskis across the street than go back to Mother's Pizza if they were empty. I get more selection and a better value for my money, in my opinion. (Bring on the wings!!!!!)

As far as the general question of whether the pizza is as good as it was in the 80's, I didn't think so. I spent a lot of time at the Mother's in downtown Waterloo way back when, and it seems to me that it was a lot better back then. I don't know if it's the fact that almost 30 years later you raise the expectations and memories of what you used to get to an unattainable level, but I've tasted much better pizza lately.
If you want to spend more, believe it or not Boston Pizza in my opinion is much better. 2 years ago the wife and I won free pizza for a year and every week we went in and tried a different one. Not all were great, but some were fabulous. Problem being that if they weren't free they are way too much money.

If I want a pizza that is more like the Mother's pizza of old, I get myself a Pepis' Pizza form the Water St. Kitchener location. That's a good pizza for a decent value.

As with most things, everybody's opinion is different and I'm glad you like Mother's Pizza, but unless I'm forced to by other people's plans that I have no say in, I won't be going back to Mother's.
Pins - HS (under restoration), DL,Firepower, STARGATE, ST 25th, EFTLW, EBD, WW, F-14, JD,WH20
Slot - 3 Reel
Vids -Rush the Rock x 2
Proud founding member of TCPL (Tri-City Pinball League)

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:11 am

Fair enough - and you're probably right.....there's probably a bit of nostalgia affecting my pizza perception.
I used to go all the time to the Pepi's on on Water St when I worked near King & Victoria and it was phenomenal. Back then, there were gorgeous busty women running the stone oven, so it didn't even matter how good the pizza was.... 8)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

awhite2600
timbit
timbit

Postby awhite2600 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:46 pm

I have fond memories of Mother's from when I was a kid growing up in Brantford. We went to one of their Hamilton locations with my grandparents all the time too. I still have a Polaroid from my 10th birthday at Mother's and one of their Coke glasses.

An old school buddy and I met up after almost 30 years at the Mother's in Brantford last summer to have lunch and get caught up. There was nothing "wrong" with our experience, I just wasn't overly impressed. It seemed like another chain restaurant. The old Mother's ambience was not there. Gone were the 8mm projectors showing old movies. Instead there were modern LCD TVs showing old movies and TSN.

The pizza was okay...not good, not bad. Perhaps my memory has faded after all these years. I won't be rushing to go back. There are better pizza places here in London.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:50 pm

Well.....if anyone else is up to the challenge and hasn't been to Mother's pizza recently, this week is their anniversary, so they have specials on pizza:

12957539_1180081972036106_2858409209436251234_o.jpg
12957539_1180081972036106_2858409209436251234_o.jpg (187.92 KiB) Viewed 4495 times

I may have to go on Thursday and Sunday......

Return to “The Donut Shop”