Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: cell phone plans?

Postby theyangman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm

CanadianRyGuy wrote:
theyangman wrote:Telus has canada wide, and for like 10 bucks more you can add us wide as well I believe.

The note 8 is 1000% my next phone, I have had every Note since the first one, and it really looks like it is going to be a slick, slick phone. I've played with the S8+ and it is phenomenal. I can't imagine the Note 8 would be anything less.

I currently have the Pixel XL, and I hate it. I got this after I had to return my Note 7 last fall. I just prefer the Samsung layout much more than the native Android. Mainly the back and menu keys are reversed and to this day I still hit the wrong side constantly. Can't unwire 6+ years of button presses.

My only concern is it shares the same curved screen design as the S8+, which I'm kind of not a fan of...to worried about my phone getting damaged. Hopefully there are some good cases out there!
Was also kind of hoping the Galaxy S8 Active would get released in Canada, that would probably be more ideal for me.

Im not a huge fan of the curved screen either, the note 7 had a curved edge screen too, not that I got to use mine for long, but it was no huge change. I'm sure all the major case manufacturers will have a nice case for it. I usually go with Spigen cases. They have never done me wrong.
I want more games...

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 pm

ken_cinder wrote:Changes phones like underwear too...wish I was that rich lol

We all have our vices. Phones have always been a weakness for me. I love getting the newest and latest phones. I absolutely cannot recall the last time I had a phone for more than a year.

I also find that if I take care of my phones which I do, and keep all the original stuff, I can sell it a year later on kijiji and recoup much of the costs of buying my new phone.

So here is how I play the game now with Rogers:

I have three lines on my account, so I have everyone on a schedule that works pretty well for me.

I upgrade a different line each year so I can take advantage of the lower initial cost, then my current phone gets passed onto my GF, and my mom gets my GF's old phone, so my mom not giving a crap about phones, still has a fresh phone that is no more than 2 years old, and is free to her so she is happy, my GF who also doesn't care about phones gets a 1-year-old phone for free so she is happy, and then I get the newest phone which makes me happy. I then, in turn, sell off my mom's old phone which this year is a Note 4, my mom will get my GF's old Note 5, and my GF will get my Google Pixel XL, while I scoop up the new Note 8.

The new Note 8 on a 2-year contract will probably be 500 plus tax? either 399 or 499 for sure, and I'll sell the Note 4 for 250 - 350? So it doesn't really cost me much at all to upgrade each year, and I never face a penalty because at least 1 account matures each year, and as long as my mom and GF don't care about having the latest phones, this plan works perfectly for me. They each get a "new" phone to them each year and are happy.
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 pm

theyangman wrote:

We all have our vices. Phones have always been a weakness for me. I love getting the newest and latest phones. I absolutely cannot recall the last time I had a phone for more than a year.

I also find that if I take care of my phones which I do, and keep all the original stuff, I can sell it a year later on kijiji and recoup much of the costs of buying my new phone.

So here is how I play the game now with Rogers:

I have three lines on my account, so I have everyone on a schedule that works pretty well for me.

I upgrade a different line each year so I can take advantage of the lower initial cost, then my current phone gets passed onto my GF, and my mom gets my GF's old phone, so my mom not giving a crap about phones, still has a fresh phone that is no more than 2 years old, and is free to her so she is happy, my GF who also doesn't care about phones gets a 1-year-old phone for free so she is happy, and then I get the newest phone which makes me happy. I then, in turn, sell off my mom's old phone which this year is a Note 4, my mom will get my GF's old Note 5, and my GF will get my Google Pixel XL, while I scoop up the new Note 8.

The new Note 8 on a 2-year contract will probably be 500 plus tax? either 399 or 499 for sure, and I'll sell the Note 4 for 250 - 350? So it doesn't really cost me much at all to upgrade each year, and I never face a penalty because at least 1 account matures each year, and as long as my mom and GF don't care about having the latest phones, this plan works perfectly for me. They each get a "new" phone to them each year and are happy.

Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 am

theyangman wrote:

The new Note 8 on a 2-year contract will probably be 500 plus tax? either 399 or 499 for sure, and I'll sell the Note 4 for 250 - 350? So it doesn't really cost me much at all to upgrade each year.
You're completely ignoring the extra costs you pay to subsidize that phone. It's never just $500. It's $500 plus whateverr extra plan they force you to be on. You could be paying only $40 or $50/mo but because you're subsidizing the phone, you're forced onto a $80, $90 or higher per month plan. So factor that in. Your phone will never be $500. It's $500 + the plan difference x 24 ! It's cheaper to just buy the phone outright.

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Hey yangman,

Curious to hear your thoughts on the Note 8 now that it has officially been announced. At this point for me, its between the Note and the S8+ and I'd love to hear you sell me on the Note lol. It seems pretty close to the S8+ but with a better camera. I think many carriers have the S8+ on sale right now for back to school and the price difference might make it tough for me to go with the Note.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 pm

RayB wrote:
theyangman wrote:

The new Note 8 on a 2-year contract will probably be 500 plus tax? either 399 or 499 for sure, and I'll sell the Note 4 for 250 - 350? So it doesn't really cost me much at all to upgrade each year.
You're completely ignoring the extra costs you pay to subsidize that phone. It's never just $500. It's $500 plus whatever extra plan they force you to be on. You could be paying only $40 or $50/mo but because you're subsidizing the phone, you're forced onto a $80, $90 or higher per month plan. So factor that in. Your phone will never be $500. It's $500 + the plan difference x 24 ! It's cheaper to just buy the phone outright.

Well, you have to look at it properly. Do we pay the subsidy back? Yes, but it is built into your monthly plan, which to most people is already a fixed cost.

If my plan was $155 before and $155 after the new phone, nothing changes. And if none of my other lines change (which they don't) then I am not sure what you are implying.

Buying a phone outright nowadays for any premium device is $1,000 or so bucks, but if I can pay $400-$500 upfront and let Rogers let me pay down the balance over time for 0 interest then why wouldn't I? I have no plans of getting rid of my phone, and the benefit for the bring your own device benefit isn't that great.

Take a look at the math:

Scenario 1 - Premium Plus Tab:

You buy the phone on a PP+ tab: $149.00 + HST
Canada Wide 3 gig Monthly plan: $105 x 24 months = $2,520.00 + HST
-----------------------------------------------------------
Total obligation over 2 years: $2,669.00 + HST

Scenario 2 - Premium Tab:

You buy the phone on a Prem. tab: $349.00 + HST
The Same Canada Wide 3 gig Monthly plan: $95 x 24 months = $2,280.00 + HST
Total obligation over 2 years: $2,629.00 + HST

Scenario 3 - Smart Tab:

You buy the phone on a Smart tab: $549.00 + HST
The Same Canada Wide 3 gig Monthly plan: $85 x 24 months = $2,040.00 + HST
Total obligation over 2 years: $2,589.00 + HST

Scenario 4 - No Tab:

You buy the phone outright: $999.00 + HST
The Same Canada Wide 3 gig Monthly plan: $80 per month + HST (BUT you save 10 bucks with the BYOD discount) = $70 x 24 = $1,680.00
--------------------------------------------------
Total obligation: $2,679.00 + HST

BUT you can leave at any time, and not locked into any contract.

So over the same 2-year plan, there isn't much of a difference between all four scenarios....
I want more games...

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:03 pm

CanadianRyGuy wrote:Hey yangman,

Curious to hear your thoughts on the Note 8 now that it has officially been announced. At this point for me, its between the Note and the S8+ and I'd love to hear you sell me on the Note lol. It seems pretty close to the S8+ but with a better camera. I think many carriers have the S8+ on sale right now for back to school and the price difference might make it tough for me to go with the Note.

For the N.American Market, the Note 8 doesn't have a HUGE improvement over the S8+.

- Dual 12mp lense cameras
- S-pen
- 6 gigs of ram vs. 4 gigs
- 0.1" bigger screen
- SMALLER battery vs. the S8+

They don't expect people to upgrade from the S8+ to the Note 8. That was never their intention. The Note series of phones are for those who genuinely use the S-pen to at least a decent degree. If you don't care about the S-pen, the S8+ will be a much better deal. The camera is a neat upgrade, but not entirely necessary and the RAM difference won't make the phone noticeably quicker in my opinion. It will help with multitasking to a degree, but I see the overall difference as marginal when comparing to the S8+.

I love the S-pen personally. I use it constantly, the accuracy and ease to jot things down is really handy for me which is why I love the Note. You simply cannot write with your fingers, the level of accuracy is not even close.

In my truthful opinion. It starts and ends with the S-pen. If you don't see usefulness behind it, grab an S8+ It'll be cheaper, and easier to get.

And yes, I have already pre-ordered mine.

I got the blue one.
I want more games...

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 am

Just picked up the S8+ on Friday and couldn't be happier with it. They had the Note 8 there on display and you could see them side by side and it was very similar to the S8+, a little boxier around the edges on the Note which I kind of liked better for some reason. I don't know how good all the Samsung apps are but I almost immediately downloaded all the Google apps and made them the defaults, kinda feels like my old Nexus 5!

Was worried about the curved edges but it seems to have grown on me and i imagine if I picked up another phone I'd probably think the bezels look like hot garbage.

This is probably my first ever phone that was a premium model at the time I bought it. I'll have to spend some time and see all the fancy new things I can do with it that I couldn't over the past 4 years with the Nexus 5.

Any fun games I should try?

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:07 pm

CanadianRyGuy wrote:Just picked up the S8+ on Friday and couldn't be happier with it. They had the Note 8 there on display and you could see them side by side and it was very similar to the S8+, a little boxier around the edges on the Note which I kind of liked better for some reason. I don't know how good all the Samsung apps are but I almost immediately downloaded all the Google apps and made them the defaults, kinda feels like my old Nexus 5!

Was worried about the curved edges but it seems to have grown on me and i imagine if I picked up another phone I'd probably think the bezels look like hot garbage.

This is probably my first ever phone that was a premium model at the time I bought it. I'll have to spend some time and see all the fancy new things I can do with it that I couldn't over the past 4 years with the Nexus 5.

Any fun games I should try?

I play clash of clans. Have been playing for about 3 or 4 years now. Other then that, I play stupid puzzle games to kill the odd few minutes here and there. Nothing dedicated like CoC.

I want more games...

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:27 pm

No MAME emulators? lol

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:30 pm

CanadianRyGuy wrote:No MAME emulators? lol

Nope. I don't like touch screen controls for d-pads and buttons, I find that my fingers wander when there isn't a physical button to let me know where my fingers should be. It's annoying.
I want more games...

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 am

I regret giving up my old phone plan, but had to switch when my jobs switched. Since then I have discovered the joy of having a phone I own 100% and getting a bit of a break, and flexibility in choosing my carrier. That said, I have a pretty good deal with Telus - Unlimited Nationwide and all that jazz and like 7 Gigs of Data for less than $100.

Samsung phones are definitely well rounded products. I purchased a cheaper make phone with not much performance a 4000mah battery that would give me several days of heavy usage, and fear I will never be able to go back to the higher end phones. Wear and tear took that phone down and am on my 5 year old Galaxy S3 as a backup - which would be fine if I didn't break the screen last week! Now I am trying to find that perfect medium between killer battery and a phone that is a bit fancier.

Does anyone in the GTA use Wind as a carrier? I remember it used to be so cheap... until you leave the city :roll:

Return to “The Donut Shop”