Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Question about my MAME PC.

Postby mike boss » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 am

A question for the PC guys here.
I was playing my MAME cabinet yesterday and the game froze.
I restarted the PC, and the PC started to boot up, but it got hung up.
Sadly I did not pay attention as to where the PC hung, I again restarted it.
However this time when I restarted the PC I got nothing.
The fan on the mortherboard is spinning, but I noticed the LED on the mouse did not light up.
Nor did the two LED's that come off the power switch. I've left it on for a few minutes and nothing.
The PC is not cased and is simply attached to the inside of my Mario Bros cabinet.
I reached in and put my hand on the HDD, and the HDD is spinning.
I'm at a loss as to what this could be and thought I would seek some advice.

I'm not the most techy when it comes to computers. The power supply is a modular power supply. Could it be perhaps a defective cable on the power supply ? Perhaps the power supply is outputting on voltage correctly, but another is incorrect ?

I did take the motherboard out of the cabinet, cleaned it off with compressed air and pulled out the audio and videocards to re-seat them. I'll do the same with the RAM when I get home. I did not have a chance yet to test anything since doing that. I still however wanted to post for some insight.

Thank you all
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

underachiever
stubby
stubby

Re: Question about my MAME PC.

Postby underachiever » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 am

I would always disconnect everything and then plug in the monitor only. NO USB keyboard or mouse or anything. Leave the hard drives unplugged. Just the monitor. Fire it up.
If that doesn't do anything, turn off and pull the ram. Only put in one ram stick at a time, into a different slot from where you pulled it, and try that.
If you still have nothing, my last resort was to try a different power supply, again with nothing other than the monitor cable plugged in.
After that if you still have nothing, you are most likely looking at the motherboard.

That's the extent of my knowledge. If I had success with any of those steps I would just add stuff back in until it wouldn't boot. First I would add a keyboard and then the next reboot a mouse. Then, and only then if it posted, I would add the hard drive.

Hope this helps
stef
Pins - HS (under restoration), DL,Firepower, STARGATE, ST 25th, EFTLW, EBD, WW, F-14, JD,WH20
Slot - 3 Reel
Vids -Rush the Rock x 2
Proud founding member of TCPL (Tri-City Pinball League)

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am

:ditto:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Appreciate the info all, thank you.
I had no read the response and today ran out to pick up a power supply.
I can always return it for store credit, so not a total loss.
Tonight when I get home I'll follow the steps listed and see how that goes.
If I did fry the motherboard I'd be happy if the HDD is intact....that is where so much work went into. I'd hate to have to do another MAME set up.
Again thanks all, I'll post the results.
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

darryldale
timbit
timbit

Postby darryldale » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Well if you did lose your hard drive let me know.

I just went through the motions last night of updating my hyperspin / mame / daphne setup to mame 189.

Tracked down a complete 185 rom set and then the 186 / 187 / 188 / 189 deltas.

Have it all configured using just the one mame wheel in Hyperspin that I've integrated Dragon's Lair 1 & 2 and Space Ace into (didn't want to have multiple wheels). Hyperspin just launches a batch file where I detect the three daphne rom names and launch the appropriate emulator instead of mame.

darryldale
timbit
timbit

Postby darryldale » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:14 pm

P.S.

It's just a complete rom set but NO chd files. I don't play any of the newer fluff that requires the chd files anyway.

About 60 - 70gb if I remember correctly.

The only thing left to do is track down any files I need to get Golden Tee running on it. Anybody have GT Fore! series running in their mame setup???

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 am

I went out at lunch and picked up a new power supply.
When I got home I followed the steps mentioned above, but my results were the same.
I got nothing on screen. I even tried a different videocard in a different slot, but still nothing.

I dug out an old PC I had kicking around that I never got to using. I tried the same power supply and videocard from my existing (non working) set up.
IT WORKED ! - so it would appear I messed up my MAME PC mo-bo.

I wish I had paid more attention to the error I got onscreen prior to this, but sadly I didn't. I don't know that it is hindsight, but I keep telling myself I knew it was a bad error.

None the less nothing I can do now. I'll bring back the new power supply as that wasn't the issue. The biggest bummer is all the time now to set up a new PC. I was not in the mood yesterday but today I'll dock my MAME HDD and see if I can pull off the data. I was (am) really happy with the set up I had.

I want to do the minimum amount of PC that I can. I find that to the worst and longest part of these setup's. It's the reason that as I do this laptop I'm working on I'm trying to keep everything clean and organized, so for future builds I can just copy my "ARCADE" folder and it will have all ROMS/videos/snaps/emulators and utilities contained.

I assume it isn't worth having a 12 year old PC looked at, I'll just take the loss and use what I have to get this MAME set up going again. It might even serve as the motivation to finally install my Aim Traks!

But what drives me BANANAS is that literally within 2 minutes it went from working to nothing. PC was on, playing fine, game frozen, reboot, PC loads, shows error and hangs....whatever the error was I just remember the # 3 showing and it was underlined and blinking, it didn't continue to load, so power down power up then TOAST ! Ughhhhhhhh

thanks all
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

darryldale
timbit
timbit

Postby darryldale » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 am

I just built a new machine and didn't want to spend a fortune as well.

Picked up a Lenovo M73e system. Very small and quiet and reasonably powered.

My total build is looking as follows:

Pedestal Stand - Approx $250 (having it built)
Lenovo M73e - $135 (used)
32" 720P Monitor - $150
Tankstick - $125 (used)

So about $660 all in. Figure another $40 for a keyboard / mouse and dp to hdmi adapter and I'm in for around $700.

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm

darryldale wrote:I just built a new machine and didn't want to spend a fortune as well.

Picked up a Lenovo M73e system. Very small and quiet and reasonably powered.

My total build is looking as follows:

Pedestal Stand - Approx $250 (having it built)
Lenovo M73e - $135 (used)
32" 720P Monitor - $150
Tankstick - $125 (used)

So about $660 all in. Figure another $40 for a keyboard / mouse and dp to hdmi adapter and I'm in for around $700.

That's not a bad price for your build! Nice !
I'm a little bummed at the work I have in front of me....but it is what it is!
I was currently working on a MAME laptop, so I'll just duplicate the files on both PC's.
Want to do as little work I can. I'm hoping that when I dock my HDD tonight that it was not damaged in this fiasco. I'm happy with the MAME set up I had. I had my custom MARIO BROS Mala layout, all my snaps, my videos, and ROMS were good to go! I had NES, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, and Turbo GRFX all installed and running.
Tonight I plan on writing Windows 7 to an existing HDD I had so I can get the PC up and going, then providing my MAME HDD was not damaged I'll move all the files.
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 am

If it isn't one thing, it's another.
I had a buddy come over after work to give me a hand with my PC.
I got an error saying that on the new PC the processor was overheating. This happened literally moments after the PC was powered on.
I plan on adding new thermal compound tonight when I get home, hoping that will resolve the issue.

I did however get Windows 7 installed on the new HDD. I was then able to use my HDD dock, dock both drives and move over all my old MAME files.
So all the artwork, videos, ROMs, emulators, tools (FuzzyRename/ROMlister/Arcade Ambiance Project/etc) .
Tonight I'll put on the thermal compound and download the required drivers for the mo-bo.
I need to also DL the manual and see where to install the extra USB ports. I need to make sure I have enough ports for the two Aim Trak guns & sensor.
Not sure if things like that can be connected via a USB hub.
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

darryldale
timbit
timbit

Postby darryldale » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 am

How do you find the AimTrak guns with mame?

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a couple for the new build.

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Want to know something funny? I've had these Ultimarc Aim Trak guns for like 10 years.
I bought the parts from Ultimarc and picked up some used Play Station Guncon's to house them in.
I've had this stuff kicking around for ever and for whatever reason I was so intimidated to
case them & install them. Anyway December of 2017 I was like I really should wrap up this project.
So I put them in the Guncons....which was so easy. Honestly, 30-40 min project to install them, seccure them, and get them done. I installed the sensor bar, and put all the required configuration tools onto a flash drive (again in December).... but I've never installed the configuration tools and tried them. LOL ------ I waste soooo much time and sooo much money !
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 am

So it would appear that my old motherboard for my Mario Mame was toast.
So I replaced it with an old PC I had kicking around in the basement.
I had a buddy come over from work to help me out with the build.
We could not get the PC to boot from a USB drive, so my buddy took the HDD and tossed it into another PC I had.
The drive was working and loaded up without any issue. So I docked the HDD and moved over all my old files (ROMS, emulators, artwork, etc).
Plugged the drive back into the new PC and kept getting error after error.
My buddy at work (the self proclaimed I.T guy said it was an issue that the PC had with Windows 7). Seemed a lil drastic to me.
It was my understanding that you could not format the drive in one PC and simply drop it into another, he insisted you could.
My DVD drive wasn't working, so on the holiday Monday I went out and got a used one for $5 from Kijiji.
I took the HDD plugged it into the PC and put a fresh copy of Windows on...........it worked ! The PC boots, the error is gone, all seems fine.
Further more all the data that I had moved over was still on the drive. I guess I did not delete the partition, instead just put a fresh copy of Windows on. Either way I'm happy. PC is working and the data is all there.

Things however were not working as expected. I was hoping I would not need to configure everything again. All my emulators were set up to close on escape, boot up in fullscreen, and all buttons were mapped to work with the iPac. My hope was if I moved over the folders as they were things would just work. I'm not the most savvy when it comes to PC's. I think it could be the folder structure, possibly I named this PC differently. So today I'd like to try and figure out what I named the PC, and figure out exactly where I had everything.

I'm not sure if I'm wording this correctly, but prior if I named the PC "Mario MAME" and now called it "Mario Bros MAME" the emulators etc will be looking for Mario MAME and would not work. Does this make sense ? Anyone know if I were to correct that would things just work? Or will I need to install and configure everything again ?

I ask because prior I had multiple emulators for NES and other emulators. Recently I had gone through my setup and removed the emulators that did not work as expected. I don't recall what emulators were best.
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

Return to “The Donut Shop”