Anyone have/use a HD Antenna?

Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Anyone have/use a HD Antenna?

Postby Bighab » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:45 pm

I have been looking at getting a HD Antenna. The kind you plug into your TV and mount on the wall(fairly small) I was wondering if anyone uses one and what channels they get?

menace
stubby
stubby

Re: Anyone have/use a HD Antenna?

Postby menace » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 am

I have and use a big 8 bay unit and got a ton of HD channels out of the states and toronto. Rule of thumb though--bigger the antenna the farther away it can receive. I think you might be disappointed with those teeny weeny ones. I live in Burlington and can get all the major US stations as well as the canadian ones but it depends on your height (elevation) and your line of sight (no big buildings in your line of sight to buffalo or toronto)
Working: Mame
Pins: Stargate, Star Wars, Virtual pin
Wanted: money and time

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:13 am

I wasn't necessarily ruling out a big antenna. I wanted to hear how the small ones work first. Do you get TSN and Sportsnet on it? All I want is to be able to get live sports.

menace
stubby
stubby

Postby menace » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:03 am

The only sports you'll get is whatever is broadcast over the air--so no TSN, sportsnet etc. as those are all cable shows. I think you'll be disappointed with a small antenna in kitchener.
Working: Mame
Pins: Stargate, Star Wars, Virtual pin
Wanted: money and time

Davester
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Davester » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:40 am

I have one of those "Factory Direct" specials that hang on the wall (about 10" x 10") that I use when the weather is bad and the satellite goes down. Living in Cambridge (Galt), all I get is Global, CTV (13), TVO and CHCH. I can't get any Toronto stations.
However, the picture and sound is far, far superior than what comes though my Bell satellite HD box.

Go big or go home...

Davester.
Pins: Funhouse
Race Drivin', Winding Heat, MAME, Touchmaster, Seeburg SPS2, Rockola 494, AMI Rowe Laserstar, Parking Meters, Payphone... if it takes coins, I want it!
Even those funny coin op machines in the ladies room...

John Jones
loonie
loonie

Postby John Jones » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

I tried one as well in Kitchener and only got two stations...not worth the time
this far from Toronto unless you go big and go high.
Neither of the channels were sports related.

John
Fish Tales
Starship Troopers
Star Wars (with new rom)
Back to the Future
Baywatch
Simpsons Pinball Party
Black Knight 2000 project
Dragons Lair
Astrocity cab
Aliens Extermination arcade

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Gameguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 pm

We've been using basic rabbit ears on top of the TV and can get CBC, CTV, TVO, French CBC, and Global. It's the same antenna we've had back when analog was in use, there's really no difference between an analog and digital antenna besides marketing. We tried using a large "digital/HD" antenna that's amplified by plugging into a power outlet, and saw no improvement over the rabbit ears. Unless you get a really good antenna and mount it properly in a good location, and you're in a good location to receive signals in the first place, you won't get much of an improvement.

It's not just the antenna, it's also the quality of the tuner. If your TV has a crappy tuner, it won't be able to tune in as well.

I mostly watch stuff online now so I don't care enough to get satellite or cable, it's just for basic news and the odd random show in the evening. There's nothing on TV I'm desperate to watch, or else I'll just find it online later anyway.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

darryldale
timbit
timbit

Postby darryldale » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:15 am

I used one at my old place (just off the 401 in Hespeler).

I was using the Channel Master 4 Bay Antenna (CM4221) and the Channel Master Preamplifier (both available on Amazon).

Had it mounted on my roof and was getting about 26 channels. No complaints at all. Worked fabulous.

Bighab
stubby
stubby

Postby Bighab » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. It appears the roof mounted ones are the way to go

Return to “The Donut Shop”