Teddy Ruxpin

Off topic, anything goes

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Teddy Ruxpin

Postby mike boss » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:59 pm

So my buddy Lucas (The Lo-Res Dad of the Lo-Res Bros from the Courtice Flea Market) let me know about a Teddy Ruxpin at my local Value Village.
When he told me nostalgia set in, I never had one, but I recalled wanting one as a kid. Perhaps slightly more a girls toy I guess, I still wanted my own teddy.

A ways back the wife and I made a large donation to the local VV and the attendant asked me if I wanted a card. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was for 30% off your purchase up to $100. I had actually planned on scouting the VV to pick up a second Wii.

I never did make it out to get the teddy, but about a week later Lucas let me know he was still available. One day I happened to be in the area and popped it. I made sure to ask the associate if I could use my discount on any item in the store and I could.

They had teddy priced at $50, so he was $35 (about $40 with tax) with the discount. He was smaller than I remember, but in good condition.

Got him home and washed the vest and let teddy sleep in a baking soda bath for days. When I got around to looking him over I noticed that he was not the original teddy from my past, IE the smaller size. He is the 2006 Backpack toys version that used a cartridge based audio recording. I was hoping for the original, and hoping I would be able to mod him. Sadly I've found no info on modding this particular version of teddy.

I'll still continue to look for an original, but teddy is kinda cool. I think he looks cool in the man cave/kid cave.

Anybody into these kinda toys ? Is $40 worth it for this model?

EDIT - I found this image online that shows the size difference of the original vs 2006 Teddy.

Now I need a cool Gizmo toy, and possibly an Alf toy! Retro if effect !
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

Davester
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: Teddy Ruxpin

Postby Davester » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 pm

There are several different versions of Teddy Ruxpin out there.
I picked up one in the early 00's from Bi-Way for my daughter. Then I bought a bunch of original books and tapes for the Original Teddy.
Found out really quick that the older tapes/books were not compatible with the more modern unit that I bought even though they both use cassette tapes.
Oh well.
Now my kids find Teddy Ruxpin kinda creepy. I keep him on the shelf at the entrance of my man cave. If my kids spend enough time down there, they turn him around so that he's not watching them.

Davester.
Pins: Funhouse
Race Drivin', Winding Heat, MAME, Touchmaster, Seeburg SPS2, Rockola 494, AMI Rowe Laserstar, Parking Meters, Payphone... if it takes coins, I want it!
Even those funny coin op machines in the ladies room...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm

Davester wrote:Now my kids find Teddy Ruxpin kinda creepy. I keep him on the shelf at the entrance of my man cave. If my kids spend enough time down there, they turn him around so that he's not watching them.

https://www.geek.com/tech/the-inside-of ... f-1675293/
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:17 pm

I found one, what I suspect to be the original (or at a minimum GEN 3) in the West End.
But I'm never down that way, so as good as the price is, I just simply don't have the time to get it.
The quest will continue ........ I'm sure I'll find one.
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

nagamitsu
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby nagamitsu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:27 pm

No, am not this old, but I've bought vintage (1930ies, 40ies, 50ies) Steiff stuff bears. Mainly for my wife at the time.

Tim

Return to “The Donut Shop”