What arcade games remind you the most of your childhood?

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Davester
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: What arcade games remind you the most of your childhood?

Postby Davester » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Wow... where do I begin? (This is going to be long...)

So many various malls around Scarborough and Toronto back in the 70's... but I remember playing the 4 player Gran Trak (The one with it's own canopy.) somewhere.

In 1980, my parents took me to Europe... and I remember playing Galaxian in a small town. It cost me two coins of whatever the denom is in Belgium.

Then around 1982, there were two "Mom & Pop" arcades beside each other on Kingston Rd where the tough kids hung out. In Grade 6, everyone for one week had to wash the dishes in the Teacher's Staff Room and was given $5 at the end of the week... guess where that money ended up... Inside Pacman, Galaxian, Space Invaders, etc.

In 1983 I remember going to downtown Toronto on Yonge St. and playing Pole Position. F'ing games cost 50¢!
That same summer I remember being at the Ex and seeing Dragon's Layer... and they were nice enough to have the extra monitor on top of the cabinet so that you could see what was happening.

In Highschool, the arcades in Brantford had such classics as S.T.U.N. Runner, Paperboy, Out Run, Chase H.Q.

In college there was Hard Drivin, Tetris, Street Fighter II, Fun House Pinball, Terminator 2, Gilligan's Island Pinball, Checkpoint Pinball, Comet, and more!

During my college years, I also did a barn raid and picked up a Chicago Coin EM Speed Shift, a Midway EM Sea Raider and a Playmatic Space Gambler pin. (There are pictures of that Space Gambler in one of Marco Rossignoli's books.)

Damn... thanks letting me stroll down memory lane...

Davester.
Pins: Funhouse
Race Drivin', Winding Heat, MAME, Touchmaster, Seeburg SPS2, Rockola 494, AMI Rowe Laserstar, Parking Meters, Payphone... if it takes coins, I want it!
Even those funny coin op machines in the ladies room...

Frenzy
timbit
timbit

Re: What arcade games remind you the most of your childhood?

Postby Frenzy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:59 pm

TopTierArcade wrote:
Hey, does anyone remember Family Kart Ways in Whitby in the 90's? I spent sooo much time there. Had a sweet 2 level arcade. That's where I fell in love with Super Sprint (grail). Even Spaltterhouse (not a grail) was awesome. Too bad they plowed it for homes now i think...Also, remember SPANKY'S arcade in Oshawa, i think it was downtown. Ended up being a front for drugs, but was awesome!

Yep. I grew up in Whitby and my brother used to work there. Great arcade. First time I ever encountered Dragon's Lair and thought it was the best thing ever. For some reason I can't remember a lot of games from their arcade apart from Spy Hunter, Stocker, and Donkey Kong 3.

Oshawa Centre was also great. Games I remember most are Monaco GP (right by the door), Discs of Tron environmental, and Crystal Castles.

Others that bring back memories are Gravitar, Elevator Action, Donkey Kong, Popeye, Bump N Jump, Frogger, Battlezone, etc. from various convenience stores around town.

I tend to remember games I either played a lot of or ones that had cool cabinets.
Crystal Castles, APB, 720 Degrees

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”