For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

trueno92
stubby
stubby

Repairing a k7401

Postby trueno92 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:46 pm

I have no idea what im doing...
It WAS doing this faint clicky thing but it went away after 8-9 seconds.. b+ are still glued down, chassis is pretty mint otherwise... never knew if it worked when i got it... no neck glow..

There is this grey 2 prong comjng off the tube that im guessing is for service.

Anyone gta centric that services these?
Neo-Geo Big Red - 520in1 - 21" CRT
HS-5 -NBA JAM TE/MVS4 - 25" CRT
RadMobile - Upright Multi-Racer/Fighter - 19" LCD
2x PS2, 2x 27" CRT, TimeCrisis II/III iLink Co-Op Shooter
22"/16" Virtual Pinball
Trick Time Slot Pachislo

nagamitsu
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: Repairing a k7401

Postby nagamitsu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:09 pm

Ticking may be electricity grounding/arcing somewhere, broken traces, bad flyback. My G07 monitor has same/similar symptom. Is considered high voltage shutdown.

Tim

Chazzman
toonie
toonie

Postby Chazzman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Chris (Electronic Federation) can likely help you out.
DE Batman pin, Judge Dredd, NBA Jam, Gauntlet 2019-in-1, Galaga, Star Wars UR, Pac 60-in-1, Rush 2049 x 2, Championship Sprint, GT Complete, Joust, Dig Dug, S.I., Karate Champ

LF: Streetfighter 2 C.E., Asteroids, Spyhunter

Gonemad

Postby Gonemad » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:20 am

The 7400 series can be a pain. I've done one or two of my own in the past. Sounds like something in the HV section. Would do a capkit and possibly has some other failing components. B+ is a pain because of the amount of glue some used to keep it in place. If you have no experience, you are safest to send it out.
LF>>Galaga PCB

Rickn
loonie
loonie

Postby Rickn » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:42 am

Ok, likely the 2 wires form the tube you spoke of (and I emphasize 2 wires not 4) are coming from the degauss coil that is mounted on the "bell" of the tube. They should be of no consequence to your problem as long as the insulation on the coil has not been exposed and shorted to ground. If a very quiet ticking noise, likely the regulator (Q101) but it may have been taken out by a few caps, or a shorted HOT (again a few caps) hope this helps?

Rick
Rick Nieman
President
Nieman Video Displays
Kitchener, Ontario
519-621-1722
Rick@niemandisplays.com

trueno92
stubby
stubby

Postby trueno92 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks for the warnings, gents. Im taking heed!!

So i see a lot of mention here and elsewhere about cap replacement and im all good with that having experience on vintage solid state receivers.. but i dont have a scope that would measure the resistance over the total circuit. I dont mind replacing them, but i would like to test the tube to make sure its worth my while...

Also i dont have the correct power cord, so i ghetto rigged the plug that looks like DOD (ac power input) with the D Facing down on the flat sides, into a computer power cable, direct to AC power. that should work, but i just dont want to do anything too stupid!
Neo-Geo Big Red - 520in1 - 21" CRT
HS-5 -NBA JAM TE/MVS4 - 25" CRT
RadMobile - Upright Multi-Racer/Fighter - 19" LCD
2x PS2, 2x 27" CRT, TimeCrisis II/III iLink Co-Op Shooter
22"/16" Virtual Pinball
Trick Time Slot Pachislo

Electronic Federation
timbit
timbit

Postby Electronic Federation » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:09 am

Cap replacement will most likely not fix that issue. If you don't have alot of experience with that chassis you should really send it in rather than make it alot harder to repair and more expensive.

To effectively troubleshoot that problem you need to isolate the power supply section and put a load on it to see if your issue is in the power supply or deflection circuit.

If your going to attempt the repair yourself shotgun everything, flyback , caps, horizontal output transistor etc. That's your best shot at being successful.

Your welcome to send the boards in for repair. Pm me for more details or if you just need advice.

Thanks

Good luck.

Electronic Repair Services
Most monitors chassis repaired
Wells, Electrohome, Sanyo, Sanwa
Vintage audio equipment
Vintage tube equipment
cpurepair@rogers.com
Monitor repair K7000, K7400,K7500, Sanyo's, Neotec's, G07, G05, K4900, K4600 and many more. Power supply repair, pcb repair and general arcade advice.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”