Be a High Score Champion! Vidz Freaks Virtual League - Starts Nov 19

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Be a High Score Champion! Vidz Freaks Virtual League - Starts Nov 19

Postby The Evener » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:49 am

The Vidz Freaks Virtual League (VFVL) was a friendly fun and low-stress arcade tournament started over at MAACA last year, but sadly it stalled half-way through the season. An attempt at a Season 2 did not get off the ground, so I sponsored a “reboot,” which includes expanding the league to CGCC!

All games for the season were picked randomly from the 60-in-1 PCB for maximum participation, but any way you can play the game ROMS -- 60-in-1, MAME rig, or original arcade machine -- is welcome!

This is not Twin Galaxies referee quality – it’s relaxed and gives you reason to exercise your joystick reflexes -- to be High Score champion!. Last season I found it was a great way to discover games I barely played, or to really push myself to learn some games that I just wasn’t that great at. Give yourself an excuse to fire up the multi-game arcade cabinet (or the original if you have it) and play!

VFVL Glory – How it Works

* There are 14 games up this season, with roughly two weeks devoted to each game for competition
* Season wraps June 3-4 2017 at the Canada PinCon in Hawkesbury, ON. If you can’t make it, just compete virtually as before.
* When a game is announced in its thread, start trash talking, sharing strategy, share your high score attempts as you practice to intimidate or inspire the competition
* To officially submit your final score for the competition window, post a photo of your best score on the last day of the round by 11:59PM EST.

Additional details:
* Some players last year could only devote 15 or 30 minutes to each game, while others could devote hours. To account for that, you can pick the A pool (unlimited plays), or the B pool (limit your attempt to only three credits)

Points are awarded as follows:

5 best scores = (Great!) 3 points awarded
Scores 6-10 = (Good!) 2npoints awarded
Scores 11 and below = (Noob!) 1 point awarded

* First game up - Gyrus - starts Nov 19

If you want to play, hit "post reply" to register your name and your competition pool – I’ll track scores and cross-post to MAACA to keep both groups informed!

Here's an example thread for Frogger from season 1 if you're curious how it worked:

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=19502

Player List for VFVL:
The Evener
OTTOgd
redketchup
Sunset Rider
YellowMustard
HPR Pinball
Azatotht
shovelhed
Delroy666
Manu2
PixelError
c0nn0r
Last edited by The Evener on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: Be a High Score Champion! Vidz Freaks Virtual League

Postby jasonec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Haha - I remember that thread. I think that league was the only time I spent any time on MAACA to be honest.......
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Awesome! Thanks for putting in the time and effort to continue the FUN, Jason!

The 3-play format sounded neat but too much emphasis on honesty. I'll cheat!

So, I want to have "unlimited" practice and submit my ONE ridiculously highscore pic. I WIN!

Outta my way, newbarions! I'm warping back to Earth in no time!

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Hahaha Kevin - remember, you were the one who wanted me to join the virtual league on MAACA? It was fun, but you definitely knew some people were photoshopping their stuff.....:lol:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Postby The Evener » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Great Kev! Looking forward to restarting our rivalry for arcade glory...

Yeah, I remember that - the hack job was a bit rushed, so it was easy to spot. I don't think the guy was banned because players actually felt sorry for him. ;)

Unfortunately we didn't close out the first season but it was great to have you in the mix as a fellow player Jason - it would be great if you could toss your hat in this time too :D

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:45 pm

I would but I don't have a 60-1. If only someone could build me one.

Sounds like a fun idea. I suck at all but robotron and Indiana Jones. Both not on a 60-1.

Mike

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Postby The Evener » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:38 pm

ancientgames wrote:I would but I don't have a 60-1. If only someone could build me one.

Sounds like a fun idea. I suck at all but robotron and Indiana Jones. Both not on a 60-1.

Mike

Did you have one not too long ago? I can't remember if you had an extra cab for a 60-in-1 when I came out with Dale to pick up the Bad Dudes, or if I'm confusing things with another restore (which was a horizontal set-up).

You gotta make one! :)

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Lol. I have all the stuff to build one. I think the pacman I have waiting to restore is the only vert cab I have left though. A little ironic considering the # of 60-1's I've sold.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:42 pm

I think the first game should be Galaga ;-) 8)

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Postby The Evener » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Galaga was not one of the randomly chosen games this time around - but you'll have the chance to dust off and hone those Galaxian skills! :)

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Postby The Evener » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:25 pm

ancientgames wrote:Lol. I have all the stuff to build one. I think the pacman I have waiting to restore is the only vert cab I have left though. A little ironic considering the # of 60-1's I've sold.

That's great Mike - you can put irony in its place and start assembling that cab just in time for next week for high score glory! :D

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Re: Be a High Score Champion! Vidz Freaks Virtual League - Starts Nov 19

Postby c0nn0r » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:20 pm

I'd like to join the fun but I don't have a 60-in-1. Can I use MAME? Does anyone have a spare 60-in-1 they want to get rid of?
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

The Evener
loonie
loonie

Postby The Evener » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 pm

c0nn0r wrote:I'd like to join the fun but I don't have a 60-in-1. Can I use MAME? Does anyone have a spare 60-in-1 they want to get rid of?

Sorry, that was my mistake -- MAME is definitely welcome. I meant to say that the games selected for this season are found on the 60-in-1, so if your set-up is a 60-in-1 PCB, you can use that cab for the whole season rather than split your time with another MAME set-up for those games not found on the 60.

So you're in! :)

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:02 pm

The Evener wrote:Galaga was not one of the randomly chosen games this time around - but you'll have the chance to dust off and hone those Galaxian skills! :)

Boo. Galaxian sucks.... :P

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:07 pm

The Evener wrote:
c0nn0r wrote:I'd like to join the fun but I don't have a 60-in-1. Can I use MAME? Does anyone have a spare 60-in-1 they want to get rid of?

Sorry, that was my mistake -- MAME is definitely welcome. I meant to say that the games selected for this season are found on the 60-in-1, so if your set-up is a 60-in-1 PCB, you can use that cab for the whole season rather than split your time with another MAME set-up for those games not found on the 60.

So you're in! :)

Cool. Has the entire list been published somewhere yet? I probably won't join in on the first round, but if there are some good ones coming up in the future I will make plans to join in.
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”