Good Starter Cabinet?

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

mortron
timbit
timbit

Good Starter Cabinet?

Postby mortron » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:58 am

I am new to the site, and am interested in the possibility of gaming on actual PCB's and not a MAME cabinet, and wonder if there is a good cabinet to start out with if I was looking for a JAMMA setup? Perhaps this is an expensive route to start? I am into everything, classics, fighting, shmups... Ideally I would love a Vewlix or Candy Cab, but they're in demand, and am not geographically located where I can get down quick enough to be a contender when one comes up.

Are there other cabs I should keep my eye out for that someone might be able to suggest? I am liking the sit down cabs more and more these days, but most North Americans seem to be Cocktail sit downs. I am not averse to fixing one up, but have no idea what a good candidate would be. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: Good Starter Cabinet?

Postby jasonec » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:48 am

Get a Dynamo HS-5 cab - best cab made IMO, easy to find, and already wired for JAMMA so you can stick in the game you want.
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks for the advice. I had seen one online somewhere and was reading up on it, as it popped up in my history when I went to go search for it. Maybe I should have jumped. I saw a pretty decent $300 SI Deluxe last week online that someone scooped up and better restore... if it ends up listed this summer as a half finished MAME cabinet being abandoned, someone's gonna get hurt badly.

I like that most of this forum seem more dedicated to saving these, and not destroying the well built and classic cabs.

I guess I will keep an eye for another HS-5 to pop up... is there a good comprehensive guide that will tell me what I should look at in a used one? Is there a safe price range to stay in? Most of the old ads either disappear or are too old to be good reference. Thanks

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:08 pm

HS5 is a good cab like Jason said. Lots are going to be set up with 6 button fighters. If its going to be your first cab, look for a full functioning one. One with a game, and working monitor.

Sent from my Pixel XXXL
I want more games...

Newfie
loonie
loonie

Postby Newfie » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:49 pm

Couple on facebook for sale right now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/653156894847539/
Working games - Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Dig Dug, Bagman, Track & Field, Pole Position, Joust, Time Pilot 84, Burgertime, Super Pacman, Mario Bros (WB version), Centipede, Millipede, Zaxxon, Galaxian

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Newfie wrote:Couple on facebook for sale right now.

I am super unhip... and do not have Facebook. Sad that websites restrict their content to over half the planet... then again, that half probably can't access the internet at all :shock:

What was listed there? Anything good? LOL

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:31 pm

mortron wrote:
Newfie wrote:Couple on facebook for sale right now.

I am super unhip... and do not have Facebook. Sad that websites restrict their content to over half the planet... then again, that half probably can't access the internet at all :shock:

What was listed there? Anything good? LOL

That Facebook group has a LOT of cabs for sale (good prices too).
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Decision making isn't a strong suit... this could get tough :lol:

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:08 pm

No need to overthink it - just buy any cab, and rationalize it later.
Looking for the perfect cab at the lowest price just means that you'll lose out on a ton of good deals.
I remember my first cab - saw it, debated whether I should buy it, then bit the bullet and bought it twelve seconds later ;-)

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:19 pm

What was your first cab, and what was your goal in acquiring it?

trueno92
stubby
stubby

Postby trueno92 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:35 pm

I am still new to this hobby and like my hs5, but its built like a friggin vault. It's stout and heavy so think twice before dropping it down a flight of stairs...!
Neo-Geo Big Red - 520in1 - 21" CRT
HS-5 -NBA JAM TE/MVS4 - 25" CRT
RadMobile - Upright Multi-Racer/Fighter - 19" LCD
2x PS2, 2x 27" CRT, TimeCrisis II/III iLink Co-Op Shooter
22"/16" Virtual Pinball
Trick Time Slot Pachislo

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:36 pm

mortron wrote:What was your first cab, and what was your goal in acquiring it?

Raiden in an HS-5 (Raiden was one of my favorite games and the last one I played before dedicating myself to university pursuits).
I still have it - it was the iconic arcade cab of the late 80s - 90s, and too cool to ever get rid of.

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:26 am

What's your location?

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:30 am

I have an HS5, sweet cab, built rock solid and heavy. Can be pretty much anything you want it to be as they were generic.

Dynamo specs here.

http://www.drzero.org/videogames/dynamo/

Says the 5 is 340 lbs, my back says "believe it"

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 am

I am a few hours northwest of Toronto. Resigned to having to drive a little. Found out though that I will be on a job for the next 4 or so weeks... so I will be in the Hamilton area for a while.

The HS-5 seems like a pretty good choice for a cab that can do a little of everything - something I can make my own without "ruining" it.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”