New Project for 2017: Ghouls n' Ghosts!

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

ChanceKJ
loonie
loonie

New Project for 2017: Ghouls n' Ghosts!

Postby ChanceKJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:17 am

Well, now that my Robotron project is in the bag, it's time to pull out the tools again and get started on my next big restoration. Not as detailed and full featured as a full blown Robotron build, but still just as fun. Plus i remember playing this game as a kid, so its got a solid place in my arcade.

Tonight we picked up this original Dynamo HS-1 cabinet. It's in amazing condition too and will serve as the basis for this restoration. I also have a reproduction HS-1 Ghouls 'n Ghosts control panel and joystick heading my way from El Paso. One thing we might have issues with is getting our hands on a proper PCB. I know there have been a few people who've converted CPS1 PCB's and we may try that as i've got a couple spare SFII boards laying around, but it would be nice to find original hardware. We'll cross that bridge when we get there...

Pretty excited for this game, expect a full series of videos for this project on The Canadian Arcade, Pickup, restoration, gameplay.

ImageImage

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Re: New Project for 2017: Ghouls n' Ghosts!

Postby aerostarz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:51 am

I have the same cab and need to ask you a question.

Behind the marquee light bulb. Is that a piece of cardboard or wood? I'm missing mine and need to block the light from shinning out of he three ventilation holes in the back.

Thx
Pins: Popeye, JD, DM, STTNG, TZ, WOZ, RS.. just need IJ
Vids: Asteroids Deluxe,Tron,Battle Zone,Neo Geo 4,Centipede,Fix it Felix, SF 2,Space Duel,Major Havoc,World Class Bowling Deluxe,Radikal Biker,Golden Tee,Sega Super GT,Rampage,Cosmic Avengers

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:36 am

I'm almost certain it's wood (from working on an HS-1 before).....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

TheRealMcMean
timbit
timbit

Postby TheRealMcMean » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Is that for sure an HS1?

I have the same cab but was never sure because the control panel never seems right when I look around.

Good project, look forward to your progress.

Daniel
http://www.pinballowners.com/mcmean
MAME, Neo Cabaret, Robotron Cabaret, Asteroids Cabaret project, Elevator Action Cabaret project, Super Cobra, Ms Pac, DKJr (DDK Braze), Defender, Arkanoid (Centi Cabaret cab). And That's It!

ChanceKJ
loonie
loonie

Postby ChanceKJ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:23 pm

TheRealMcMean wrote:Is that for sure an HS1?

I have the same cab but was never sure because the control panel never seems right when I look around.

Daniel

I'd say it is. HS-1 with the modular control panel, not the Universal.
http://www.drzero.org/videogames/dynamo/
No tray, and a 19". and it's not an oddball one like the early cabs were.

ImageImage

AllanSim
loonie
loonie

Postby AllanSim » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm

aerostarz wrote:I have the same cab and need to ask you a question.

Behind the marquee light bulb. Is that a piece of cardboard or wood? I'm missing mine and need to block the light from shinning out of he three ventilation holes in the back.

Thx

I have the same cabinet and it is wood.

TheRealMcMean
timbit
timbit

Postby TheRealMcMean » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks for that link. That clears it up for something I've always wondered about my own cab.

Daniel

ChanceKJ wrote:
TheRealMcMean wrote:Is that for sure an HS1?

Daniel

I'd say it is. HS-1 with the modular control panel, not the Universal.
http://www.drzero.org/videogames/dynamo/
No tray, and a 19". and it's not an oddball one like the early cabs were.

http://www.pinballowners.com/mcmean
MAME, Neo Cabaret, Robotron Cabaret, Asteroids Cabaret project, Elevator Action Cabaret project, Super Cobra, Ms Pac, DKJr (DDK Braze), Defender, Arkanoid (Centi Cabaret cab). And That's It!

ChanceKJ
loonie
loonie

Postby ChanceKJ » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 am

Making some progress on the teardown.

JoshODBrown and I stripped down the cab to the shell. Then the next day i went at the front and sides with a heat gun to remove the vinyl covering. This thing is in amazing condition now that i have all that black plastic painted with grey paint off. The plan is to repaint, not recover. I want to get a little crafty with the paint finishes and find a nice satin and semi-gloss to roll on with foam rollers. Back in September i worked on a cocktail project for a my old boss and had good results with the same finish.

The one corner isn't too bad, structurally it wont need much to be repaired. That will be the next step, and will be included in the next episode of the restoration on TCA.

I picked up a new coin door, Its from HAPP, not the same Coin Controls one that was on originally, but it's really similar and this will save me a ton of work and time restoring the old one. I plan to switch out the credit buttons for red ones.

I've moved the cabinet into the garage and now that the weather isn't bad i've started sanding down all the surfaces with 40, 100, and 220 grit. Next i'll need to do some bondo work and fix up the corners.

As you can see from above, this is what the front left corner looked like:

Now that all the sanding is done, it's time to repair the front corners with some bondo. When i do this, i like to build a form around the area. I do this by wrapping pieces of hardwood and plexi with wax paper and clamping them into position around the area. Sometimes I try using a spare chunk of t-moulding as well. because i'm doing a flat corner, i like to use just a little more bondo then i need and then flatten it down with some plexi (also wrapped in wax paper), and weigh it down to flatten it.

What your left with is a bit of a rough canvas you can shape into something resembling a proper corner.

I don't show it here in this picture, but i take a circle template from my drafting kit, and a pencil and draw the radius onto the hardened bondo. This gives me a guide to ensure that the corner comes out round after i take to it with the sander.

For the final step, i run the slot cutting bit over it with the router to make a new grove for the t-molding.

I'll be going over this with more detail in the video once its ready. For now, i patched up both front corners, and a couple holes by the coin door where a lockdown bar had been installed. Once it was cleaned off, i moved the cabinet back into the basement for paint. :)

ImageImage

AllanSim
loonie
loonie

Postby AllanSim » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:35 am

Good work. Mine could use some corner repair too as well as fixing the leg leveller holes which are a little wobbly.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:01 am

Nice bondo work - it's weird to see an HS cab completely stripped...
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:41 am

Nice thread. :)

The plan is to repaint, not recover. I want to get a little crafty with the paint finishes and find a nice satin and semi-gloss to roll on with foam rollers.

I've used satin black CIL melamine paint with success using foam brushes and rollers, good coverage, finish turns out very smooth and flat. Brush/roller marks disappear. Picked up at Home Depot.

Gotta ask what trick are you using for reinstalling the T-molding to have it stay after the slots get widened from removal of the old? I've tried taping the tang part of the molding to thicken it but wasn't happy with that and have resorted to hot glue.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:52 am

scoltx wrote:Nice thread. :)

The plan is to repaint, not recover. I want to get a little crafty with the paint finishes and find a nice satin and semi-gloss to roll on with foam rollers.

I've used satin black CIL melamine paint with success using foam brushes and rollers, good coverage, finish turns out very smooth and flat. Brush/roller marks disappear. Picked up at Home Depot.

Gotta ask what trick are you using for reinstalling the T-molding to have it stay after the slots get widened from removal of the old? I've tried taping the tang part of the molding to thicken it but wasn't happy with that and have resorted to hot glue.

I've never seen paint that lists "Melamine finish" on the label.... :shock:

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:35 am

jasonec wrote:
I've never seen paint that lists "Melamine finish" on the label.... :shock:

Interesting, the image I had in the post didn't show up until I opened the site, not sure you guys saw the pic.

Here's the CIL link
http://www.cil.ca/Products/Smart3FurnitureCabinets

Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.cil-smart3-wash--wear-furniture-and-cabinet-melamine-quart.1000709937.html

Not cheap but the finish is really nice, use with or without ventilation depending on how much buzz you want! ;)

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:36 am

I typically use Valspar from Lowes (it's very easy to use and looks great).

ChanceKJ
loonie
loonie

Postby ChanceKJ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:34 pm

I usually use KILZ primer (unless i'm spraying with rattle cans), but for this i thought i'd take a shot with this Zinsser stuff. Its oil based, and I just picked up White. I'm also using dollar store foam rollers, and brushes because they work exceedingly well for this.

ImageImage

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”