Contemplating Smash TV

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

TrueJedi
timbit
timbit

Re: Contemplating Smash TV

Postby TrueJedi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:09 am

Do what you like! Memories of what you enjoyed in the past are your's for the revisiting. There's nothing wrong with trying something. Lately everything just seems to be going up in value, so if you decide to sell down the road your likely to get equal or better value for it. I love my side scrolling punch em ups as it brings back memories, but that may change. Just take it one game at a time.
Vids: Area 51, Double Dragon, 60in1 Cocktail, Popeye replica on pi3, Mario Bros mini cab
Pins: Last Action Hero, Spares & Strikes
Looking for: Double Dragon 1 & 2 PCB in good working order (non-bootleg)

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:16 am

mortron wrote:The reality is that you have two approaches, an arcade for you, and an arcade for everyone else. They don't need to be mutually exclusive tho.

The case for beat em ups is simple... Memories and not needing to practice in order to enjoy the game. Some arcade games are difficult to just pick up, and require some practice and dedication. Simpsons is two buttons, and pretty straight forward.

When you have a group of folks over, anything communal like a 4 player game (especially one with nostalgic value) is going to be a crowd pleaser. It's akin to watching sports as a group. Some may not totally enjoy hockey, but perhaps when 10 people are watching together, there is something more to it for them.

The 4 player Pi setup is a no brainier. I have a Pi with only console games and always get asked if I have one of those 4 player games. Even with controllers people wanna play em. A coworker has an NBA jam setup and made me quite envious when I realized how much fun it could be with friends. Then again my friends aren't the kind of folk to play, much less wait, for their turn at Donkey Kong :lol:

I pick from both categories. I like games that I can play with buddies, and there are a few games I want for myself for nostalgia reasons. Some games just happen to fit both (like NBA Jam)
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am

theyangman wrote:
mortron wrote:The reality is that you have two approaches, an arcade for you, and an arcade for everyone else. They don't need to be mutually exclusive tho.

The case for beat em ups is simple... Memories and not needing to practice in order to enjoy the game. Some arcade games are difficult to just pick up, and require some practice and dedication. Simpsons is two buttons, and pretty straight forward.

When you have a group of folks over, anything communal like a 4 player game (especially one with nostalgic value) is going to be a crowd pleaser. It's akin to watching sports as a group. Some may not totally enjoy hockey, but perhaps when 10 people are watching together, there is something more to it for them.

The 4 player Pi setup is a no brainier. I have a Pi with only console games and always get asked if I have one of those 4 player games. Even with controllers people wanna play em. A coworker has an NBA jam setup and made me quite envious when I realized how much fun it could be with friends. Then again my friends aren't the kind of folk to play, much less wait, for their turn at Donkey Kong :lol:

I pick from both categories. I like games that I can play with buddies, and there are a few games I want for myself for nostalgia reasons. Some games just happen to fit both (like NBA Jam)

There are definitely different categories of machines when it comes to collecting:
-Machines that you HAD to have because you liked them as a kid (but you don't play them because they suck today)
-Machines that you didn't actually play as a kid, but are really fun and you play today
-Machines that you HAD to have because every collector has to have one (e.g. Pac-man)
-Machines that people who visit are more likely going to play (but aren't played otherwise)
-Machines that you bought simply because they were cheap and/or in great shape (game sucks otherwise)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 am

CanadianRyGuy wrote:Crime Fighters
Vendetta (Crime Fighters 2)

Ugh, those were terrible games!

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am

RayB wrote:

Terrible games, great sprites! :D
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 am

jasonec wrote:There are definitely different categories of machines when it comes to collecting:
-Machines that you HAD to have because you liked them as a kid (but you don't play them because they suck today)

Yeah, that's why I want a Tron. Pretty cab ... but I still need a spinner cab to play Arkanoid!

jasonec wrote:-Machines that you didn't actually play as a kid, but are really fun and you play today

Warlords!

... and a bunch of pinball machines.

jasonec wrote:-Machines that you HAD to have because every collector has to have one (e.g. Pac-man)

Ms. Pac is HOT!

jasonec wrote:-Machines that people who visit are more likely going to play (but aren't played otherwise)

Super Sprint! 3-way competition is more fun.

jasonec wrote:-Machines that you bought simply because they were cheap and/or in great shape (game sucks otherwise)

...?

I did buy a cheap Zaxxon. :oops: Gone!

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 pm

OTTOgd wrote:
jasonec wrote:There are definitely different categories of machines when it comes to collecting:

Yeah, that's why I want a Tron. Pretty cab ... but I still need a spinner cab to play Arkanoid!

jasonec wrote:-Machines that you didn't actually play as a kid, but are really fun and you play today

Warlords!

... and a bunch of pinball machines.

jasonec wrote:-Machines that you HAD to have because every collector has to have one (e.g. Pac-man)

Ms. Pac is HOT!

jasonec wrote:-Machines that people who visit are more likely going to play (but aren't played otherwise)

Super Sprint! 3-way competition is more fun.

jasonec wrote:-Machines that you bought simply because they were cheap and/or in great shape (game sucks otherwise)

...?

I did buy a cheap Zaxxon. :oops: Gone!

Haha :lol:

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 pm

RayB wrote:

Yeah, Crime Fighters is not very good and I find the controls very frustrating. Vendetta is one of the few actual PCB's I have (along with TMNT and Sunset Riders...will get all the Konami 4p games one day) so I have a soft spot for it. It's kind of a rip off of Streets of Rage and others like it, but I don't think its a bad game...just maybe there are better ones out there like it.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”