For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Repairing Burned Traces Feedback

Postby aerostarz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Hey Guys.

I burned up some traces on both sides of my Asteroids Deluxe as my iron was set too high!
In addition, while removing a newly installed defective IC socket, i broke some traces using my hot solder station in an effort to not ruin any more traces using the solder puller.

I should have used one of my parts boards first!! SHIT!!!!

have some questions maybe some one can help with.

1. To repair the bottom side of the board, Can i use the strands with in an Ethernet cable to replace the standard 32 AWG wire?

2. For the missing eyelets and top side traces, anyone have any experience with a Circuit Writer Precision Pen or conductive epoxy pin to bridge the damaged trace?

thanks
Pins: Popeye, JD, DM, STTNG, TZ, WOZ, RS.. just need IJ
Vids: Asteroids Deluxe,Tron,Battle Zone,Neo Geo 4,Centipede,Fix it Felix, SF 2,Space Duel,Major Havoc,World Class Bowling Deluxe,Radikal Biker,Golden Tee,Sega Super GT,Rampage,Cosmic Avengers

mdeslaur
timbit
timbit

Re: Repairing Burned Traces Feedback

Postby mdeslaur » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Wire-wrap wire is what I usually use. I suppose ethernet cable strands can work.

I would usually fix the broken top traces by re-routing them with wire on the solder side, not by trying to fix it on the component side.

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Postby aerostarz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:30 pm

mdeslaur wrote:Wire-wrap wire is what I usually use. I suppose ethernet cable strands can work.

I would usually fix the broken top traces by re-routing them with wire on the solder side, not by trying to fix it on the component side.

Thanks for the tip. Will keep that in mind.
Vids: Asteroids Deluxe,Tron,Battle Zone,Neo Geo 4,Centipede,Fix it Felix, SF 2,Space Duel,Major Havoc,World Class Bowling Deluxe,Radikal Biker,Golden Tee,Sega Super GT,Rampage,Cosmic Avengers

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:41 pm

It really depends on the broken trace type. Solder drops are good for some traces, wire on the reverse for others, and even conductive paint for traces that are very fine or close together.
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

CoitusMysterioso

Postby CoitusMysterioso » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 pm

You can actually buy rolls of foil tape for repairing circuit boards. It just sticks down and you can solder right to it.

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Postby aerostarz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

jasonec wrote:It really depends on the broken trace type. Solder drops are good for some traces, wire on the reverse for others, and even conductive paint for traces that are very fine or close together.

Good to know, i picked up some wire wrap wire from Sayal for 8 bucks and the Conductive ink pen for 14.

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Postby aerostarz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

CoitusMysterioso wrote:You can actually buy rolls of foil tape for repairing circuit boards. It just sticks down and you can solder right to it.

Thanks, will look in to this after using the stuff i just purchased today at Sayal.

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 am

I have a working asteroids deluxe pcb if you need it. I was saving it. But I'd sell it. PM me if your interested.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”