Anyone ever take apart a cabinet to move it?

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: Anyone ever take apart a cabinet to move it?

Postby jasonec » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 pm

menace wrote:ask me how I know this LOL

How do you know this? 8)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Zippy3000 wrote:Can't do that either. It's not my house ... It's the landlord's ... I don't think he's too keen on spending money to get a wider door put in just to satisfy my need to get an arcade machine into my apartment. It's also an annoying situation because the door frame is built on an angle... So in actual fact, the with the door on, it only opens about 45 degrees.

If the door wasn't on an angle, and I could go striaght in, i bet it would fit no problem. But that would involve reconstructing part of the wall, and getting a new door and frame.

You can see i'm in quite a bind here ... This is why I was considering taking the cabinet apart. :(

Option 1: If the door is on an angle, then move the cab in on an angle.

Option 2: Convince the landlord to let you paya proper contractor to re-do the door & door frame. No cost to the landlord.

GodSend
timbit
timbit

Postby GodSend » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:15 pm

If its really "THAT CLOSE" you MIGHT be able to pop the door off the hinge and then remove the door jam on the striker side. Pop off the trim first a and run a sawzall between the jam and the rough opening stud and sawzall the top and bottom. If you're careful you can reuse, or if not a piece of pine from lowes should run you 10$. Its a bit of pain, but you should be able to do it in a few hours. Heck, when you pop the trim off you might realize the door jam is far enough away from the stud that its filled in with expanding foam, giving you even a few more inches.

amplibax
timbit
timbit

Re: RE: Re: Anyone ever take apart a cabinet to move it?

Postby amplibax » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:38 pm

GodSend wrote:If its really "THAT CLOSE" you MIGHT be able to pop the door off the hinge and then remove the door jam on the striker side. Pop off the trim first a and run a sawzall between the jam and the rough opening stud and sawzall the top and bottom. If you're careful you can reuse, or if not a piece of pine from lowes should run you 10$. Its a bit of pain, but you should be able to do it in a few hours. Heck, when you pop the trim off you might realize the door jam is far enough away from the stud that its filled in with expanding foam, giving you even a few more inches.
This would be less work than taking the cab apart.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

b1buwg97
Secret Order of the Black Pac
Secret Order of the Black Pac

Postby b1buwg97 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:33 am

This is the best route 100%

Well next to selling whatever game it is to me!

GodSend wrote:If its really "THAT CLOSE" you MIGHT be able to pop the door off the hinge and then remove the door jam on the striker side. Pop off the trim first a and run a sawzall between the jam and the rough opening stud and sawzall the top and bottom. If you're careful you can reuse, or if not a piece of pine from lowes should run you 10$. Its a bit of pain, but you should be able to do it in a few hours. Heck, when you pop the trim off you might realize the door jam is far enough away from the stud that its filled in with expanding foam, giving you even a few more inches.

Zippy3000

Postby Zippy3000 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks for the ideas. :)

Yeah, i had pretty much decided to try paying a contractor to remove the door frame ... It's a metal fire/security door, and unfortunately, i'm pretty sure it's going to get wrecked when it comes off ... so i'll have to buy a new one. I'm counting on at least another 1/2 inch total width by getting the frame off ... I feel like that *might* be enough to get the machine through the door ... Sadly, short of creating a scale 3D model of the whole situation, I think I just have to risk it and hope for the best.

I can mention the sawzall idea to the contractor. I'm hoping that any decent contractor will have a positive attitude and do what it takes to get the job done. To be clear, are you suggesting to actually cut the stud out? and then replace? I think that would also involve re-drywalling but, if that's what it takes I might still do it.

The only sh*tty thing about this whole ordeal, is that all of this would need to be done again whenever we move ... fortunately, our rent is fairly low, and our landlord likes us ... We've already been here for 8 years, and at the moment there is no reason to believe that we couldn't stay for quite a while longer. :)

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:27 am

Zippy3000 wrote:Thanks for the ideas. :)
I can mention the sawzall idea to the contractor. I'm hoping that any decent contractor will have a positive attitude and do what it takes to get the job done.

I feel like if you maybe explain that you're doing it to get an arcade through the door, they might feel sympathetic to your cause and really want to help you achieve your goal lol

ericball
timbit
timbit

Postby ericball » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:42 am

Just remember you're going to have to do it again to get it back out!

You probably don't need a full 3-D model, just a graph paper version of the floor space should be enough.

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 am

jasonec wrote:With those limitations, you should really look into getting a cabaret arcade cabinet instead of a full-sized one....

Yeah, and classic Stern, Bally and/or older pinball machines that separate into two major pieces.

aerostarz
stubby
stubby

Postby aerostarz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:09 am

scogon wrote:sounds like it's time to move....

Agreed....
Pins: Popeye, JD, DM, STTNG, TZ, WOZ, RS.. just need IJ
Vids: Asteroids Deluxe,Tron,Battle Zone,Neo Geo 4,Centipede,Fix it Felix, SF 2,Space Duel,Major Havoc,World Class Bowling Deluxe,Radikal Biker,Golden Tee,Sega Super GT,Rampage,Cosmic Avengers

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Kindly take a video of whatever you do to your door and arcade machine during this process, and post it on Youtube for our enjoyment! :D
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

GodSend
timbit
timbit

Postby GodSend » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Zippy3000 wrote:Thanks for the ideas. :)

Yeah, i had pretty much decided to try paying a contractor to remove the door frame ... It's a metal fire/security door, and unfortunately, i'm pretty sure it's going to get wrecked when it comes off ... so i'll have to buy a new one. I'm counting on at least another 1/2 inch total width by getting the frame off ... I feel like that *might* be enough to get the machine through the door ... Sadly, short of creating a scale 3D model of the whole situation, I think I just have to risk it and hope for the best.

I can mention the sawzall idea to the contractor. I'm hoping that any decent contractor will have a positive attitude and do what it takes to get the job done. To be clear, are you suggesting to actually cut the stud out? and then replace? I think that would also involve re-drywalling but, if that's what it takes I might still do it.

The only sh*tty thing about this whole ordeal, is that all of this would need to be done again whenever we move ... fortunately, our rent is fairly low, and our landlord likes us ... We've already been here for 8 years, and at the moment there is no reason to believe that we couldn't stay for quite a while longer. :)

If the door is in decent shape any contractor worth his salt should be able to remove the entire thing. Almost all doors are installed "pre hung", basically they are just screwed into place and covered with trim. You should be getting at LEAST an inch on each side with this (1/2 inch for the actual door frame, and then usually the rough opening is sized a little bigger than the door itself).

https://www.addicted2decorating.com/how ... ovice.html

Step 2 on that blog shows a pretty good (although a bit extreme) example of it.

Good luck.

Dave W.
loonie
loonie

Postby Dave W. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Couldn't get games into my place either.
Paid a guy to reframe a custom sized door which gave me and extra 3 inches of space. Cost =1100$. Expensive but worth it.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”