My ongoing experience buying a Candy Cab

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Re: My ongoing experience buying a Candy Cab

Postby Lordsxo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:18 am

Last night I was able to complete one of the last steps around importing an arcade cabinet, the most dredded one from what I read all over, the Customs Clearance. So I luckly live rather close to Toronto, about an hour away, and I was able to clear my shipment in person.
Yesterday afternoon, I got an email from the importer that the cabs were unloaded by the CBSA bonded warehouse. They sent me a couple forms the Way Bill, Customs Delivery Authority form, and Longroom Copy. The last two being identical short of the name of the form. The importer informed me that I need to go to the CBSA station at Pearson Airport. This office is 24/7 so I went after work. The building is in the middle of the airport between the runways, and when driving there, it really feels like its a place you shouldn't be. I walked in the office, and it was quite empty as it was 9:30 at night. When I was called up, I gave the forms that the importer gave me, plus the PayPal recipts, and I also brought the messages with the seller through ebay. First thing they asked me was for my Passport. On a hunch, I did bring it with me, and found that it is required. After the CBSA asked me what the items were, I needed to bring up Pac-Man and Space Invaders to describe what is was, as I guess, they had no idea what an Arcade Cabinet, or Arcade Game was.

She worked out the value, an I had to pay 5% GST on it. Paid at the cashier, and got the release form back with a stamp.

Scaned it an emailed a copy with the stamp to the CBSA Bonded Ware House.

Next step is to wait for the delivery time to be set.
MVS-25-4 v2 [Super Dodgeball, Puzzle Bobble, Shock Troopers, Baseball 2020] , New Net City (Capcom Vs. SNK) & Astro City (Shadow Dancer)
Passively looking for a Crazy Taxi upright.

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Postby Lordsxo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Now that all of the money aspect of the endeavour is completed I will list out my total cost involved. I don't know why everyone seems so secretive about sharing these things. They get a new cabinet or PCB, and other ask what they paid, and it usually never answered. Is it embarrassment that they paid too much, or they plan on selling it and don't want buyer to be able to negotiate with knowing the cost of the seller, who knows. I didn't have the full cost. So here is the break down.

CDN
    New Net City---------------$1,222.16
    Astro City----------------------$811.89
    Over Seas Shipping-----------$948.89
    Handling and Paperwork-----$271.51
    Local Delivery-----------------$305.00
    Courier--------------------------$20.00
    Duties--------------------------$244.58

Total Price for each
    Sega New Net City---------$2,142.66
    Sega Astro City-------------$1,681.37

I was a little surprised by the total, for both together, it's... $3,824.03 :shock: I was originally planing on $3000, but I didn't take in consideration of US exchange and little extra cost. I didn't list in to the cost of gas to Toronto and buying dinner on that trip, which isn't too much, but that is considerably less then a customs broker.

I'm okay with what I paid, because it was a fun experience, plus this is around the cost that I keep seeing for these things. I know they do pop up for lower than that and that they were much cheap a few years ago, but are usually snatched up really quick when the price is right. Also, I should mention that the New Net City has a Naomi with Capcom Vs SNK (there is one cartridge selling for $400 US right now on ebay :roll: )

I don't know when they will scheduled the deliver, I'm thinking for this Monday. I will upload some picture to show everyone what the risks are with buying from pictures, cause I know they aren't perfect.
MVS-25-4 v2 [Super Dodgeball, Puzzle Bobble, Shock Troopers, Baseball 2020] , New Net City (Capcom Vs. SNK) & Astro City (Shadow Dancer)

mallowpie

Postby mallowpie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks for outlining the procedure and your process on these cabs. Although I'm not getting the same cabs I've been trying to figure out the process on importing, and I'm really grateful that you're describing your import journey lol. Good thing you were smart enough to bring your passport, I wouldn't even have considered it.

It's interesting to see how much higher shipping costs are to Eastern Canada. Here in Vancouver, the cost is probably 50% of what you guys have to pay since the cabs don't have to make it across the country. I'm trying to get people to chip in with me to buy a bunch of Vewlix cones, and people think $1K is too rich. I don't particularly blame them though, supply & demand I guess.

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Postby Lordsxo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:23 pm

My wife just sent me a picture while I am at work. :D

XeD
timbit
timbit

Postby XeD » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Great to see that you got them

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby scogon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 pm

awesome!!

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Postby Lordsxo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:36 pm

XeD wrote:Great to see that you got them

I don't know what's in them yet, can't find my pry bar... I can't open them. :shock:

Q B
stubby
stubby

Postby Q B » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 pm

:lol:
Sega Astro City 2.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 am

Well done Lordsxo! Congrats on the cabs, and thank you very much for documenting your experience for us. I can't wait to see pics of your cabs in action!

Kudos!
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Postby Lordsxo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 am

c0nn0r wrote:Well done Lordsxo! Congrats on the cabs, and thank you very much for documenting your experience for us. I can't wait to see pics of your cabs in action!

Kudos!

I think it may be sometime before I have them in their home, I spent 2 hours yesterday, and I was only able to get the top and one side off of one. I have to say that they were really packaged well. I think I might have to just cut the wood instead of using a pry bar.

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby scogon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am

that's gonna be a very long unboxing video

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Postby Lordsxo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm

So the delivery came on Monday afternoon, I really thought that I told me that I would be let known when it's on it own. Now since I wasn't expecting it I wasn't there, and neither was the Customs Release form that I took to work with me, just in case the scan that I made of it had problems. So I get the call from my wife, she's telling me the guy is there from the trucking company, and he needs the form. Luckily, the driver was very flexible, since where I work is just off of the 401 on the way to Toronto, from my house, he suggested to stop by my work to get the release. I'm glad that he did that since they might have charged me for a 2nd attempt.

Another good thing that the driver did was he brought it up my driveway (one car long, a smooth) and into the garage that had room available. I'm glad he did, because I only have a dolly, maybe if you have a appliance dolly, it wouldn't be too bad. I would say the $305 price tag on the delivery was well worth it.

They were packed really well, I was able to take the top off and one side to inspect the one (took me a couple hours with a pry-bar), it was the NNC. The one thing though is the it's not the one from the picture on the eBay listing. But that's fine, it looks to be in better condition.

There is very little wear, and it pretty clean inside. I don't know what it was doing in China, as it still has the 100¥ coin mech, but the sticker saying, "Don't beat on the machine" in Chinese and it came with a Chinese AC Plug but otherwise it doesn't look like it's been sitting inside an arcade for too long. Also, I haven't checked to see if the power supply was changed or altered, since I believe that China is 220V.

Image Image Image

Overall, it was a success. It wasn't too hard to do all of this with out doing it in the past. It only costed just a little more than what I expected, and it was a fun experience.

I'll post more picks of the other one, and more of this one when they are finally out.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:41 pm

Looks great!
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby scogon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:35 pm

congrats, what did the all in price end up like?

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:40 am

MOST EXCELLENT!
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”