NNC noob in need of help!

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Caloge

NNC noob in need of help!

Postby Caloge » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi everyone. It's my first post and I wanted to say hello.

I'm dealing with an issue and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Picked up a NNC from the Xed group buy and having difficulty getting it to play nice with my Naomi. It could be a problem with the board but it is hard to say. The board appears to power up (fan turns on) and the board sends power to the raspi but I get no sound or image. Not the Naomi error screen, nothing.

Screen says its getting no signal.

I attached a couple pics. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to trying pretty much anything.

Thanks!

Caloge

Re: NNC noob in need of help!

Postby Caloge » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Second pic isn't great. I can take more if there is something specific you think I should be looking at.

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby scogon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:08 pm

I would suggest checking the voltages, is the cab power set for north american standards or does it need to be adjusted? (not sure where the cab is from)

if voltages are good, I would suggest a separate USB plug for the pi

do you have access to a Naomi cart and Naomi 1 mother board? perhaps a Namco JVS board? good to test with more than 1 board...

Caloge

Postby Caloge » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:16 pm

The cab itself powers up, it setup for 100v, but I will check it. Tried booting just the motherboard without the dimm and still nothing so don't think the raspi is sapping juice. Unfortunately it's my only jvs board, wish I had something else to slide in there to test :cry:

Will check the voltages

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Naomi backwards is "I Moan".

Sorry wish I could help. What games are you trying to play on that setup? Doe sit work in another cab? Do you have a supergun you can test it with in JAMMA mode?
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

Caloge

Postby Caloge » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:30 pm

c0nn0r wrote:Naomi backwards is "I Moan".

Sorry wish I could help. What games are you trying to play on that setup? Doe sit work in another cab? Do you have a supergun you can test it with in JAMMA mode?

Unfortunately I don't but I opened the motherboard and a CPU fan has stopped spinning so that's got to be my culprit. Time to sort that out with a new bearing.

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby scogon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:43 pm

pretty sure the board will boot up without a fan..... it may be toast? any other cabs in your area to test it on?

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:28 am

scogon wrote:pretty sure the board will boot up without a fan..... it may be toast? any other cabs in your area to test it on?

:ditto: Determining whether the board is the issue will narrow down your troubleshooting the fastest.
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Caloge

Postby Caloge » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:52 am

jasonec wrote:
scogon wrote:pretty sure the board will boot up without a fan..... it may be toast? any other cabs in your area to test it on?

:ditto: Determining whether the board is the issue will narrow down your troubleshooting the fastest.

Is there a way for me to test that without another MOBO?

I don’t have access to any other cabs/superguns but I live in downtown Toronto so I’m sure there is something nearby.

scogon
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby scogon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:54 am

yeah should be someone around with a JVS PCB, another Naomi or a cab you can test with

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Definitely check voltages, 100v is the Japanese standard, 120v for Canada for household line AC, usually for imported (Japanese) electronics there would be a step down transformer to properly supply the 100v. Not saying this is the issue but worth checking to not over supply voltages which will likely damage the equipment. I don't know enough about Naomi systems to help further. My experience comes from a factory I used to work in that used Japanese PC's for all the production line control equipment. We used to have to have massive custom step down transformers made to do voltage conversion so that stuck in my brain. brad808 might be able to offer some suggestions, he's got some candy cabs, and pretty sure he's dealt with Naomi systems, you could PM him.

Lordsxo
timbit
timbit

Postby Lordsxo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Does the monitor power on? The NNC has on screen adjustments and the buttons for that are under the control panel in the center. If the monitor is powering on, you'll see the OSD. The only other thing would be to follow the power from where the mains enter the cabinet, see if it makes it to the power supply with out any transformers in between.

I would also check the voltage going to the Naomi, there may be the need to have it higher with the NetDimm. Maybe someone could lend you a cart to test it with.
MVS-25-4 v2 [Super Dodgeball, Puzzle Bobble, Shock Troopers, Baseball 2020] , New Net City (Capcom Vs. SNK) & Astro City (Shadow Dancer)
Passively looking for a Crazy Taxi upright.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”