Cabinet hacks & mods

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Cabinet hacks & mods

Postby mike boss » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:21 am

I've been asked to work on a few cabinets for buddies to put in their Man Caves.
Providing I can find the donor cabinets I do enjoy working on these.
I've actually had my interest in MAME/arcades nenewed with some modifications/alterations I made to my Mario Bros cabinet.
It got me thinking, what are some hacks or mods you like using on your builds ?

For me I just got into using MAME cheats, I know not a "purist" thing to do........ but for me walking thru a game playing levels I've never made it to before was sweet.

I also added a 2.4 GHZ wireless keyboard/mouse (the handheld ones that people tend to use with Android boxes) to my cabinet. For $10 what an investment. To not have to keep opening/closing the coin door and risk messing up a connection. This was a great addition to the machine. It works flawlessly even with the metal coin door closed. Such a neat little add.

Lastly LED's, I'm a huge fan of lighting in the basement/mancave, I've got several LED strips everywhere. Adding LED fans to the back of the cabinets. Or an LED strip around the back of the machine, or bottom of the machine for that matter. LED buttons, fans, strips, etc ........nice simple little add on.

I used to use cold cathode tubes, but the LED strips are far more easy to work with and less chance of getting damaged.

Lastly, if using an LCD monitor (which I do most of the time) I gotta have a scanline generator. I know a tutorial was posted here on how to make them on the cheap (about $3/4) ...but they are readily available from Ebay @ about $10.

Anyway thought I would share these thoughts and look for feedback/ideas.

Thanks all, all the best for 2020 !

Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”