Who bought an Xbox One? Thoughts?

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

juztbecause
loonie
loonie

Postby juztbecause » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:58 pm

AllanSim wrote:Apparently if you are affected by a bad drive, MS will offer you a free digital game download of one of 3 games if you have to send it in to them. Also people have fixed the grinding by flipping the xbox over and pounding the area over the drive a few times. Has to do with a gear that came loose during shipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDoDqTaIwIc

Wow.

I think they should find the design team and give them a few hard whacks.

nintendan
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby nintendan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Silver Matrix - your not alone! I will be returning my PS4 as well. It's still sitting on my kitchen table unopened.

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:50 am

I dont do enuff console gaming to make any of these worth it @ full price.
But talking to friends (avid gamers) they tell me the PS4 "should" destroy the XBOX. I know XBOX (Microsoft) back tracked, but the talk of not sharing games, or playing used games, along with the Kinect issues hurt them.

General question, what do you guys think of the marketing of the XBOX ONE ? Meaning the "all in one media" angle VS pure hardcore gaming ?
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

AllanSim
loonie
loonie

Postby AllanSim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 am

Not sure how the whole watching tv through xbox thing works but if you just plug in a digital cable TV cable and if they were to throw in some kind of DVR functionality, the all-media thing could really take off. Personally I don't like talking to machines though and i don't like a camera that's always on when i'm using it. The PS4 allows you to share your gaming with others on the net, I like that idea.

The low barrier to broadcasting yourself to others from your living room these systems bring is going to have some very interesting effects, a lot of which won't be suitable for a family audience. An invasion of privacy? Maybe. These things are so far away from the cartridge-based game systems we grew up with now that gaming is just a small part of what they do. It's like how a cellphone today is actually a pocket computer you can also make phonecalls on.

I'm holding out until Watch Dogs comes out. I might go with PS4 but I'm hoping Valve releases SteamOS in the early part of 2014 because I really want to try that whole setup on my own PC. Til then I have lots of 360 games available for cheap used that I haven't played yet.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:05 am

mike boss wrote:I dont do enuff console gaming to make any of these worth it @ full price.
But talking to friends (avid gamers) they tell me the PS4 "should" destroy the XBOX. I know XBOX (Microsoft) back tracked, but the talk of not sharing games, or playing used games, along with the Kinect issues hurt them.

General question, what do you guys think of the marketing of the XBOX ONE ? Meaning the "all in one media" angle VS pure hardcore gaming ?

I prefer the added media features for the simple reason that I console game in my living room where I also want to watch/listen to media (as compared to PC gaming in my office, mobile gaming on my phone/tablet, or retro gaming in my rec room).

The content license restrictions that Microsoft tried to push definitely hurt their reputation, but it was a political risk for them. The big AAA game publishers wanted those restrictions (they think they are losing billions to piracy for some reason), and to ensure that Microsoft had some big launch exclusives, they did it to please those AAA publishers. But when it clearly failed, they reversed the decision, and by that time, it was too late for the AAA game publishers to opt out. Microsoft apparently thought the risk of having the exclusives was worth the reputation loss.

But then again, Microsoft does this sort of stuff all the time: http://t.co/VDrZF99rkw (KSI and Xbox: Why MS got it wrong)
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:34 am

I have two 360's, one if which is "altered" and lives in my "man cave."
The other stock and remains in my bedroom.
I pick up the odd title cheap on Kijiji, however I seldom play.
Once I noticed that my Bluray player was giving me HUGE issues as a result of Cinavia I began to use my 360 a ton more. I use it to play my DVD's and stream my movies, music, and the odd time pictures. I LOVE IT !
I picked up a ROCKETFISH POWERLINE to speed up the connection.

So I do agree the ability to work alongside a PC and get your media is cool, is it worth $100 more than a PS4 ? Does the PS4 not do it ?

I actually laugh, talking to a buddy the other day he is a HUGE WWE and overall wrestling fan. He was telling me, all in, buying all the content (or some pass?) the WWE game in the end would cost $90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That just seems steep to me, but again, if I play 10 hours per month total that would be a good month.
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

CongoBongo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CongoBongo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Things I like:
It's very quiet
It doesn't seem to get very hot
Controllers feel great
UI is familiar and fairly easy to get around
Kinect now works really well with very little setup
I have my Ouya plugged in to the HDMI and like that I can switch back and forth

Things I don't like:
No memory management (yet)
It's big and can't go vertical (you have been warned)
Still has a brick PS
That ugly cold-blue LED on EVERYTHING

Why I chose it over PS4:
History - Sony wouldn't replace my bricked PS3 less than a month out of warranty
History - Sony lost my and countless others personal data
I have never liked the Dualshock and even though I hear good things about these new ones
Microsoft made several major updates to the UI of the 360 over it's lifecycle which continued to improve it while Sony maintained the same sad drilldown UI throughout

nintendan
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby nintendan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:15 pm

I returned my PS4 this afternoon, and even though I paid all cash for it, they gave me my full REFUND on my credit card. I don't know why?? I jokingly said my unopened system will probably fill someone's pre-order. He said they have LOTS of units... IN STORE (all pre-orders), but NO ONE is claiming them. He went on to tell me customers are ignoring their calls to come pick them up, and/or not returning their calls, and they have a small stockpile of PS4 units sitting in the backroom.

Also, when I returned it (my PS4 was still factory sealed).... they STILL WENT AHEAD AND OPENED IT... right in front of me. Is this normal? This is the first time I ever returned a console in brand-new, unopened condition (all other times I've returned a console, there was something wrong with it).

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:22 am

well they cant just pull out 500 bucks cash and hand it to you, they don't keep that much in the tills.

So why did you buy one, just to return it?

Fanboy
loonie
loonie

Postby Fanboy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:46 am

nintendan wrote:Also, when I returned it (my PS4 was still factory sealed).... they STILL WENT AHEAD AND OPENED IT... right in front of me. Is this normal? This is the first time I ever returned a console in brand-new, unopened condition (all other times I've returned a console, there was something wrong with it).

They open it to ensure that you didn't swap out the system with a brick. A literal brick, not a broken Xbone.

Look online and you'll find stories of people buying new and sealed electronics at B&Ms and when they open the box it's stuffed with filler.

nintendan
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby nintendan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:08 am

LAW - I preordered mine after the great Sony E3 conference, but my interested fizzled out since last June. Your right... they don't keep much in the tills, but what if I was a person who didn't have a credit card? Then what?

Fanboy - That's right. I did hear about those tales of actual bricks/coal being put into the boxes and returned to stores. If that was the case, then I should feel insulted since I buy stuff from that EB Games regularly (although it was a new employee who I never seen before).

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Gameguy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:01 pm

nintendan wrote:LAW - I preordered mine after the great Sony E3 conference, but my interested fizzled out since last June. Your right... they don't keep much in the tills, but what if I was a person who didn't have a credit card? Then what?

Fanboy - That's right. I did hear about those tales of actual bricks/coal being put into the boxes and returned to stores. If that was the case, then I should feel insulted since I buy stuff from that EB Games regularly (although it was a new employee who I never seen before).

You bought it from EB Games? I once tried to return an unopened DS game to one location and they didn't want to give me cash back, it was less than $10 total and I paid in cash to buy it. It was one of their "Gamestop new" copies, I managed to find a real new copy at another location so I wanted to return the beat up one that I never opened. I ended up returning it to another location and got my cash back.

Kind of stupid since they were telling me at this location that they don't give cash back, yet right on their register was their return policy that said refunds were to be given back in the same form as the original payment. Meaning a cash payment should be given back as cash. Again, this was for a return that was less than $10 total.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

nintendan
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby nintendan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:45 am

GAMEGUY - Yes, I bought it from EB Games. I phoned in advance to see if I could even return it (after all, there was nothing wrong with it... still unopened after all), and they told me the method of payment would be the same as what I paid for it, which was cash. So it was kind of odd they requested my credit card. (But like LAW said.. they probably didn't have enough bills in their to reimburse me). So it all worked out in the end.

I will get myself a PS4 one day though, maybe off my tax return. In the meantime, Gran Turismo 6 gets released this upcoming Friday, so that'll keep me busy for awhile. :)

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”