PS2 Collection interest check

Buy, Sell, Trade

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Pran
toonie
toonie

PS2 Collection interest check

Postby Pran » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:44 pm

If i were to sell my 895 ps2 games as a group, what could i expect to get for them?

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: PS2 Collection interest check

Postby jasonec » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Depends on who you sell them to.....

If you want to sell them as a group, you're going to need to take far less than what they'd be worth individually.
If you sell them individually, it will take a while.
If you go to GameStop, well.....

Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:59 pm

You should check the value of the collection as a whole and see if its better off selling as a lot. The amount of hours to sell individually would be insane if sold at the swaps. I see tons of cheaper filler titles at swaps that never sell for PS2.

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:17 pm

I'll give you $5 for Time Splitters....

... I feel ya. Got a vinyl collection I am thinking of cutting down and the thought of selling hundreds of items gives me cold sweats and nightmares.

Pran
toonie
toonie

Postby Pran » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 am

yeah, i'm at 5500 games and was thinking of thining it out... if i part it out people will just snap up the best stuff and i'm left with all the junk no one wants

scoltx
toonie
toonie

Postby scoltx » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am

Pran wrote:yeah, i'm at 5500 games and was thinking of thining it out... if i part it out people will just snap up the best stuff and i'm left with all the junk no one wants

Wow that's a crap load of games! You might do better selling mixed lots, bundle up a bunch of games with desirable and not so desirable titles in the lot, works for the cable companies! ;)

Dodsworth
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Dodsworth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Pran wrote:yeah, i'm at 5500 games and was thinking of thining it out... if i part it out people will just snap up the best stuff and i'm left with all the junk no one wants

I hear ya unless you really need the money I would just box it up and wait a few more years when the next generation want to play ps2 games from their youth. The problem is anyone who would buy the right now would want them cheap enough to resell for a profit.

maxlords
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby maxlords » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:16 pm

You pretty much take a 50%+ hit on lots that big generally. People just don't want them.
"This isn't a bar fight. Have some class." - Alucard
- Castlevania (Netflix)

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 am

You have to be a bit more specific. You do have a lot, 900 games is nothing to sneeze at, but that is only HALF of the entire PS2 north american library.

Now, you also have to consider when selling as a lot, there will only be two people buying it:

1. Resellers. This will be 99.99% of the inquiries you get on your PS2 collection as a lot. They will buy it simply to resell and make a profit. Expect to take a huge loss here. They know that most games only retail for 5 - 20 bucks and to sell off that lot piece by piece, they are going to sit on it for YEARS. They aren't paying big money to see a profit in 3 - 4 years.

2. A new collector looking to make a big dent right away. 0.01% of collectors will take on a lot this big due to the sheer amount of duplicates they might already have, and quite frankly PS2 isn't often collected like NES or SNES is right now. On top of that they still aren't paying full retail on each title so expect a decent loss here as well.

Taking a look at pricecharting a fairly reasonable standard for pricing games at RETAIL, only 5 titles are worth 100 dollars or more. A slightly larger percentage (But still extremely low) of the 1800 titles are over TEN dollars. The VAST majority of games are under 10 bucks which I assume would be the majority of your collection unless you have crazy amounts of duplicates of the more valuable games.

If you don't need the money, don't sell. It'd be an enormous waste of your time thus far, and you are not going to see any benefit other than getting some cash today back out of it. Wait 10 years and go from there man. Don't give up! It is a pretty smart gamble, its cheap to collect for and was a WIDELY known system in it's hey day. I vote on keeping it all and going from there.
I want more games...

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 am

Your quote hits the nail on the head. You don't want them and most other people don't either. It will be a slow process to sell em all individually. You are going to have to sell at a huge loss to get someone to bite on that many cheap titles.
I want more games...

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:57 pm

It should only be another 2 to 4 years before the "PS2 Generation" starts hitting the job market and looking to buy nostalgia.

jcalder8
stubby
stubby

Postby jcalder8 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:09 am

I would expect to get around 400 for a lot like that. I have sold games in lots before just to down size my collection and I expect to get about .50 a game. But PS2 isn't as sought after as other systems at the moment.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 am

RayB wrote:It should only be another 2 to 4 years before the "PS2 Generation" starts hitting the job market and looking to buy nostalgia.

That's a crazy good point - wait until the generation that grew up with it has disposable income to blow on nostalgia :lol:
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 am

jcalder8 wrote:I would expect to get around 400 for a lot like that. I have sold games in lots before just to down size my collection and I expect to get about .50 a game. But PS2 isn't as sought after as other systems at the moment.

That figure sounds pretty reasonable for selling as a lot.
PS2 and Xbox (original) don't seem to attract much attention right now, but may in the future like Ray mentioned.

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

jasonec wrote:PS2 and Xbox (original) don't seem to attract much attention right now, but may in the future like Ray mentioned.

Pfff.... Tell that to the jagoff that stole my XBox and controllers from storage at the apartment here. Lesson learned... Don't store games meth heads can carry.

Regarding OP, I just saw a guy asking $1000 for 54 Super Nintendo games. He's trying to squeeze out $20 per cart... Not gonna happen. Most value in large lots is from the list or finding gems... People hate paying retail... Especially when buying 54 of something :lol:

Some good game sales and such coming up IIRC. Pay $10 to make a TShirt that has a lil ad for your game lot FS or FT on the back... Someone will probably tap your shoulder :lol:

Return to “The Swap Shop”