Contemplating Smash TV

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

Hammerhead
toonie
toonie

Contemplating Smash TV

Postby Hammerhead » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

This is not a wanted ad (yet :) ) but throwing the idea around about getting a dedicated 25" Smash TV, working or project. I'm on the fence for a few reasons:

- already have Robotron
- game is great, but having it set to free play and just continuing over and over takes away some of the challenge (similar to Gauntlet and others)
- Total Carnage would be another option

I figured I'd start with a feeler post to see what's out there and what I'd be in to cost wise. I've seen ads for projects a few months back but let them pass. Obviously with the caveats listed, a high price would kill my interest pretty quick.
I am Francois Du Grimm and I will get medieval on your derriere!

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Contemplating Smash TV

Postby RayB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Fun "party" game. Great with coop since you fight each other at some point (am I remembering this right?)

Continues dampens the enjoyment, but there are dipswitch settings you could change to make it limited continues.

Then there's the rooms and secrets. It will take several play-throughs to get to play all the rooms.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:33 pm

This is my exact reasoning for not having any beat em ups in my arcade. These types of games offer little to no replay value. (In my mind)

You beat it, and then there isn't much left to do other than beat it again, and again and again. Maybe on less continues the next time? Meh, not a good enough reason to buy one / restore one IMHO.

There are dozens of beat em up's I loved back in the day, Turtles, Simpsons, X-Men, Golden Axe, Gauntlet, etc... but alas, I doubt they will ever find their way into my basement.

I simply prefer multiplayer competition games, like racing games, sports games, etc...

As for price? I can't see it being anything crazy to restore one. Four 8-way wicos, a few buttons, monitor and pcb? The most expensive part will be all the repro artwork.... Those two games did have some wild side art....
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm

I've never been a fan of Smash TV myself - doesn't seem to have lasting gamplay value (the gimmicks are nice though).
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 pm

My NBA Jam (w/ Maximum Hangtime) is a great cab but I'm aching for the other beat 'em ups. I do have X-men but my kids beat that in 15 minutes and a gazillion free-play continues and never asked to see it again. I do intend to RetroPi the cab in the near future so I can play all the 3-way/4-ways! ... eventually.

... and SmashTV wouldn't be properly set-up. :oops:

trueno92
stubby
stubby

Postby trueno92 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:48 pm

theyangman wrote:This is my exact reasoning for not having any beat em ups in my arcade. These types of games offer little to no replay value. (In my mind)

You beat it, and then there isn't much left to do other than beat it again, and again and again. Maybe on less continues the next time? Meh, not a good enough reason to buy one / restore one IMHO.

There are dozens of beat em up's I loved back in the day, Turtles, Simpsons, X-Men, Golden Axe, Gauntlet, etc... but alas, I doubt they will ever find their way into my basement.

I simply prefer multiplayer competition games, like racing games, sports games, etc...

+1 I feel the same way about shmups..

But people say this about fighters, and don't get me started about racing games... I mean going in the same circle against CPU controlled opponents??? Improving laptimes???

So yeah, fighters, racers, and shooters... and puzzle games..

But its hard to have an arcade without any space ship/fighter jet based games....
Neo-Geo Big Red - 520in1 - 21" CRT
HS-5 -NBA JAM TE/MVS4 - 25" CRT
RadMobile - Upright Multi-Racer/Fighter - 19" LCD
2x PS2, 2x 27" CRT, TimeCrisis II/III iLink Co-Op Shooter
22"/16" Virtual Pinball
Trick Time Slot Pachislo

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm

OTTOgd wrote:My NBA Jam (w/ Maximum Hangtime) is a great cab but I'm aching for the other beat 'em ups. I do have X-men but my kids beat that in 15 minutes and a gazillion free-play continues and never asked to see it again. I do intend to RetroPi the cab in the near future so I can play all the 3-way/4-ways! ... eventually.

I recall seeing a video of someone with a simpsons cab that had done a retroPi with all the Konami 4 player beat'em ups. THAT might be a more viable option for space savings.....

Turtles
Turtles in Time
Simpsons
GI-Joe
Bucky O'Hare
Xmen
Sunset Riders
Cowboys of MooMesa

What others were there?
I want more games...

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby theyangman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:53 pm

trueno92 wrote:
theyangman wrote:This is my exact reasoning for not having any beat em ups in my arcade. These types of games offer little to no replay value. (In my mind)

+1 I feel the same way about shmups..

But people say this about fighters, and don't get me started about racing games... I mean going in the same circle against CPU controlled opponents??? Improving laptimes???

So yeah, fighters, racers, and shooters... and puzzle games..

But its hard to have an arcade without any space ship/fighter jet based games....

My 4 player Sega Super GT is only for racing against each other. I never play it alone. It is still probably my most popular game when friends are over. Friendly competition is always fun. Same goes for fighting games. I'm not really into fighting the CPU. I like to fight other ppl. I have no puzzle games.
I want more games...

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:00 pm

theyangman wrote:
OTTOgd wrote:My NBA Jam (w/ Maximum Hangtime) is a great cab but I'm aching for the other beat 'em ups. I do have X-men but my kids beat that in 15 minutes and a gazillion free-play continues and never asked to see it again. I do intend to RetroPi the cab in the near future so I can play all the 3-way/4-ways! ... eventually.

I recall seeing a video of someone with a simpsons cab that had done a retroPi with all the Konami 4 player beat'em ups. THAT might be a more viable option for space savings.....

Turtles
Turtles in Time
Simpsons
GI-Joe
Bucky O'Hare
X-men
Sunset Riders
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

What others were there?

Crime Fighters
Vendetta (Crime Fighters 2)

I totally understand everyones opinions on the beat em' ups, but these game were my childhood and the ones I remember playing the most in arcades in the late 80's/early 90's and I love playing them all again on my TMNT cab.

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Ah yes - I miss Crime Fighters - punks, skinheads, dominatrixes, and you had to shoot the mafia guy at the end instead of taking his surrender plea (otherwise he'd kill you) :D
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm

00:16 - 4 Player Games (40 Games)
05:43 - 3 Player Games (20 Games)
08:29 - 2 Player Games (40 Games)

4 PLAYERS :

arabian fight
arabian magic
Battle circuit
bomberman world
Bucky O'hare
Captain america ATA
Captain commando
crime fighter
DyD Shadow
dyD Tower of doom
Desert assault
Gi Joe Gauntlet
Golden axe TRoda
Growl
Hook
Karate Blazers
Knights of Valour 2
Light Bringer
Metamorphic Force
Mystic warriors
Ninja baseball bat man
Oriental legend
Saturday night slam masters
Silent dragon
Snow bros 2 WNE
Spiderman TVG
Sunset riders
Tank Forces
The ninja kids
The simpsons
TMNT
TMNT Turtles in Time
Trog
Vendetta
Wild West COW BOMM
WWF Wrestlefest
Xmen

3 PLAYERS :

Alien Storm
Alien vs predator
Armored Warriors
Battletoads
Cadillas and Dinosaurs
Hot Rod
Knights of the round
Mercs
MJ's Moonwalker
Night Slashers
Nitro Ball
Rampage
Rampage WT
Super Sprint
The combatribes
The king of dragons
Turbo force
Undercover cops
Violent storm
Warriors of fate

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm

theyangman wrote:I simply prefer multiplayer competition games, like racing games, sports games, etc...

Bah. That means you have to play with other people.

ArcadeStew74
timbit
timbit

Postby ArcadeStew74 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm not a fan of Smash TV but everyone has there quirky likes. I grew up loving the Pacmans and Galaga but I gravitate to the drivers, fighters, and sports. Saying that I love Kung fu Master which some would say doesn't have much replay value once you dominate the game.
Super GT Twin, Daytona USA, Super Sprint, Champ Sprint, Cruisin USA, Rush 2049, Pacman, Track & Field, Marvel Super Heroes, PGA III, GT 2005, Playchoice 10, Nintendo VS, Afterburner

Pin: High Speed

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:47 am

The reality is that you have two approaches, an arcade for you, and an arcade for everyone else. They don't need to be mutually exclusive tho.

The case for beat em ups is simple... Memories and not needing to practice in order to enjoy the game. Some arcade games are difficult to just pick up, and require some practice and dedication. Simpsons is two buttons, and pretty straight forward.

When you have a group of folks over, anything communal like a 4 player game (especially one with nostalgic value) is going to be a crowd pleaser. It's akin to watching sports as a group. Some may not totally enjoy hockey, but perhaps when 10 people are watching together, there is something more to it for them.

The 4 player Pi setup is a no brainier. I have a Pi with only console games and always get asked if I have one of those 4 player games. Even with controllers people wanna play em. A coworker has an NBA jam setup and made me quite envious when I realized how much fun it could be with friends. Then again my friends aren't the kind of folk to play, much less wait, for their turn at Donkey Kong :lol:

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 am

mortron wrote:The reality is that you have two approaches, an arcade for you, and an arcade for everyone else. They don't need to be mutually exclusive tho.

The case for beat em ups is simple... Memories and not needing to practice in order to enjoy the game. Some arcade games are difficult to just pick up, and require some practice and dedication. Simpsons is two buttons, and pretty straight forward.

When you have a group of folks over, anything communal like a 4 player game (especially one with nostalgic value) is going to be a crowd pleaser. It's akin to watching sports as a group. Some may not totally enjoy hockey, but perhaps when 10 people are watching together, there is something more to it for them.

The 4 player Pi setup is a no brainier. I have a Pi with only console games and always get asked if I have one of those 4 player games. Even with controllers people wanna play em. A coworker has an NBA jam setup and made me quite envious when I realized how much fun it could be with friends. Then again my friends aren't the kind of folk to play, much less wait, for their turn at Donkey Kong :lol:

Well said!

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”