Cold weather storage

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

hell_rod

Cold weather storage

Postby hell_rod » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm going to avoid using the "W" word while it's still sunny out but I need to get some advice. I have a couple of projects in an unheated garage that aren't going to get completed before the weather turns. What do I risk by leaving them out there? Don't have room indoors for the whole cabinet right now but I can store the PCBs if the cold might damage them. As far as the monitors, don't really have a spot for those.

Appreciate any tips.

Thanks.

theyangman
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: Cold weather storage

Postby theyangman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:30 pm

From, as far as I know, the big thing is to let the items warm back up to room temperature before turning anything back on again. Especially the monitors. So working on them over the winter out there is gonna be awfully tough, as getting them warm enough to be able to safely flip on and off might be a challenge.

As for the actual storage, I don't believe it will damage anything as long as it all remains dry.

They are just going into hibernation for a few months. :)
I want more games...

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Of course, anything can happen....but don't forget that many of the working cabs many collectors have gotten over the years have been stored in similar conditions in a barn or warehouse somewhere....
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

hell_rod

Postby hell_rod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

mortron
timbit
timbit

Postby mortron » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:08 pm

If you have moisture concerns, there are good absorbent products you could place inside the cabinet to absorb any moisture, though they may fill up quickly. Put them in my old car for storage as well as anything padded or upholstered that I wrap in plastic gets one in there too for safe measure.

Mice may or may not be an issue, mothballs and or dryer sheets always worked well for me... though I haven't checked on my car in a year or two... maybe they've adapted :lol

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”