New to the scene

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

chinozor

New to the scene

Postby chinozor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 am

Hi guys,

I have been gaming since I got a NES when I was 8 so it''s been ~30 years. I am in Calgary but I have been to japan 4 times over the past 3 years and just fell in love with candy cabs. Really keen to acquire one to be honest, I'll need to do more research about the scene here in Canada as I am not sure what is the best circuit to get one at this stage. I used to collect japanese saturn game which is my favorite console, so many excellent arcade games have been ported on that system, but I recently stopped and actually I am selling my collection, likely to finance as well a future arcade machine. This forum has been very helpful and I am still learning about it but just thought I would stop and say "hi".

2 questions:
1) Any tip on existing sale or group order from Japan that I could join ? There is so much information on this forum that sometimes it's tough to find. Is this typically how people order their Astro/Blast/Egret ?
2) Any activity in Alberta worth knowing for me ?

Thanks,

C.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Re: New to the scene

Postby c0nn0r » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Hey Chinozor!

Welcome! I'm also a huge SEGA Saturn fan. Huge. It's a great way to play many very close to arcade perfect games on real hardware (ports, not emulations). Excellent platform for Capcom fighting games, as well as shmups. Love the Raizing/8ing ports, as well as the SEGA AGES compilations. I have a modest collection of Saturn games, but once I discovered I could hack a Pro Action Replay to play back-ups I went that route instead.

There has been a recent uptick in activity/chat about candy cabinets here. There was recently an attempt by a member here to import a container full of them, and it got a lot of support from folks on the forum. The deal went a little sour, and I'm not sure where it currently stands.

My advice is to keep checking your local Kijiji/Craigslist. Posting here and letting it be known that you are a serious potential buyer is also smart. You will likely have to wait a while, but when one comes up for sale, people are more willing to deal with someone they know - even if it's just in an online forum. The wait will be worth it!

Before I got into candy cabs I bough myself the next best thing - the SEGA HSS-0130 Dual Arcade Stick Pro (It's a SEGS Astro City control panel). At about $300 it's far cheaper than a candy, and can be regularly found on ebay. Pair it with a Saturn and a CRT and you are at least 50% of the way to the candy experience.
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

chinozor

Postby chinozor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Connor,

Thanks for the message and for the advices. Well noted. I think great gamers think alike so as you will see I do have the exact setup you have described in your post :P. This was a picture of my collection before I start selling a few months back https://www.imgur.com/a/F2D1W. I am selling my games but not my stick :mrgreen: I had all the rares japanese games but I also discover the backups and given the prices today as well as the risk that your disc will rot/die with time I feel I'd rather play backups. I intend to use the cash to get a candy cab so that's all working out for me. I'll continue to scan the forums for future opportunities.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm

New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”