What happened to this site?

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

OttawaJim
loonie
loonie

Re: What happened to this site?

Postby OttawaJim » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Sparky wrote:Ya I miss the good old days around here where people would trade and buy casually, now with all those damn millennials :P it’s all about instant collections and buy it up fast at any cost it seems. Took me years to get the games I wanted but I guess I am just getting old and tired of this new scene. (( rocks in rocking chair ))

I am still around but slowed way down on my quest for gaming glory. I am usually on the pceginefx forum or I hate to say it you can find me on Facebook, a couple groups I am on there is turbotown and turbo reproductions, still love my turbografx and still have it all :)

Ditto. I go thru long breaks, but now I'm active(ish) once again. Still have most of my stuff too.
"Do me a favour...plug me into a SEGA"

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Gameguy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:03 am

demonseed wrote:Where have all the console collectors gone too?

The arcade collectors spilled out of their section onto every section of the forum so the console collectors mostly left.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

ancientgames
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby ancientgames » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 am

Gameguy wrote:
demonseed wrote:Where have all the console collectors gone too?

The arcade collectors spilled out of their section onto every section of the forum so the console collectors mostly left.

Hey now. Moderators used to push all coin op stuff including sales into coinop. So it kept things tidy and guys caught on. Now you go by the chat room. If it says "swap shop" or "anything goes" then it's open to all I would think. (Coin op was the original reason for the creation if this site).

I think the coin op section has died because of this. New members post all over. I only recently joined fb because of it. I was lucky to get 1 if any replies in coin op when looking for parts or selling.

As far as console stuff goes. I still have a ton. But I have kids who are 5 and may enjoy it one day. It's way overpriced just like pinball and bread.

Gameguy
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Gameguy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:09 pm

It's a combination of several things. There's not much else to keep people interested in checking the site often either, like seeing other peoples' finds. There aren't really any games to find anymore, at least not often enough. Any other discussions like favourite games for certain consoles were mostly talked about years ago so there's not much left for older members to contribute.

But yes, seeing tons of posts on arcade stuff everywhere kind of got me to stop lurking on the site often. Even when I didn't post or sign in I still checked regularly to see what's new. I like talking about games and playing them more than restoring or repairing electronics, it's just beyond my current abilities and that's mostly what's discussed by arcade collectors. That and plenty of funny picture type posts by jasonec that buried everything else, they all could have been posted together in one thread to keep things organized but each one got it's own thread.

The arcade community is small and close so not a whole bunch of new people will join for that content, but that can be ok too. As long as the site is still useful to certain people let them make use of it. For what it's worth I never had much luck selling things here even when the site was still active.
Check out my stuff for sale!!!(click below)

Bigsingerdawg

Postby Bigsingerdawg » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:54 am

Hey guys, fairly new to the forum but interesting thread and hope that I can participate going forward for whoever is on here.

It's just Canada and for arcade so understandable it's not that or popular all the time. However it's super targeted to an audience so quality over quantity.

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

I enjoy the site, but ya its mostly dead. I was never much of a poster on this site over the years though.

I frequent one other gaming forum and that too is all but dead.

I still like seeing what people find though and post on this site. I dont collect as much as i used to but if i run into anything cool i try to grab it.

nes_pimp
loonie
loonie

Postby nes_pimp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Cgcc's forums aren't the only that have slowed down. Seems to be happening on most forums these days.

RayB
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby RayB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm

nes_pimp wrote:Cgcc's forums aren't the only that have slowed down. Seems to be happening on most forums these days.

Yup. Everything's now on Facebook

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:48 pm

I ended up selling off my gaming collection and buying a rental property with the money.

I enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. Once retro gaming exploded. It has become near impossible to find stuff in the wild for a decent price.

I have met some great people on this site over the years 8)

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 am

Scott84 wrote:I ended up selling off my gaming collection and buying a rental property with the money.

Wait, are you telling us you sold your collection and bought a house with it? LIVING THE DREAM!

Can I invite you over to my house for dinner so you can share this story with my wife?

Do you think I could trade my New Astro City for a Haliburton cottage soon?

:mrgreen:
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

Scott84
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Scott84 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:48 am

c0nn0r wrote:
Scott84 wrote:I ended up selling off my gaming collection and buying a rental property with the money.

Wait, are you telling us you sold your collection and bought a house with it? LIVING THE DREAM!

Can I invite you over to my house for dinner so you can share this story with my wife?

Do you think I could trade my New Astro City for a Haliburton cottage soon?

:mrgreen:

It helped with the down payment for sure. Good luck.

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”