Random Value Village Find

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Random Value Village Find

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Mon May 28, 2018 10:21 am

Was at Value Village last week and noticed this Sega Dreamcast box behind the counter. Thinking I'd always wanted one and the price not being too bad, I figured I'd grab it.

I checked it out before buying and was immediately met with disappointment and confusion that it didn't actually have a Sega Dreamcast in it, but rather the following items:

A Flyer for Sony Video Walkman
A Sega Game Gear TV Tuner
An Atari Jaguar system

I figured this was also another system I've never even seen in person before and figured might not ever again, so I bought it anyways.

Anyone know much about this thing? Haven't tried plugging it in or anything yet, not sure if anything would happen if I plugged it into a TV without a game, just to see if it works. Does it look complete, or can someone tell I'm missing something?
There is an open space at the back with an edge connect, not sure what that is for or its supposed to be covered by something. Have nothing that looks like it would fit on there.

tekkaraiden
toonie
toonie

Re: Random Value Village Find

Postby tekkaraiden » Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 am

Not sure about the Jaguar but the tv tuner add on for the gamegear was worth a fortune when I last went look 10 years ago.

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 pm

When i first saw it, my first thought was that it was worth a lot. After checking out ebay and such, it doesn't look like its that much, maybe between $30-$50?

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Mon May 28, 2018 3:49 pm

It's normal for the rear edge-connector to be exposed. This is where you can attach various cables like s-video and RGB. You need custom cables for it though they can be made relatively easily, or bought on the aftermarket. I've only ever seen a Jag in person once and it was a Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Tempest 2000 is quite nice on the system, but it can be had elsewhere. Other than that, there's not much going for the system. Nice to have in the collection as an oddity though!

Nice find! Can you tell us what VV you found this in?
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Thats pretty neat! I always wanted a jaguar. I gave up trying to find a working one for a decent price though. I havent been going to VV as often as i used to , my last decent find was the crystal XBOX

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Tue May 29, 2018 8:25 am

c0nn0r wrote:It's normal for the rear edge-connector to be exposed. This is where you can attach various cables like s-video and RGB

So this cable would not have been included in the original box, correct? From what I've seen, it doesn't look like it but just want to know how "complete" my system is.
I've also noticed that others with complete systems have a a black coax game switch, where as mine was grey and has no Jaguar labeling on it. But I have seen others with this same box, so it must have been shipped as an alternate or something.

c0nn0r wrote: Tempest 2000 is quite nice on the system, but it can be had elsewhere. Other than that, there's not much going for the system.

Yeah, I've kind of been looking at games thinking maybe I'd grab a handful to have with it but I can't seem to find what would be like staples for the system. AVP might be cool, but its expensive as hell. Rayman looks like it was originally created for the system, so that might be a good one. Then maybe Super Burnout and Iron Soldier?

c0nn0r wrote:Nice find! Can you tell us what VV you found this in?

And give away my trade secrets?!?! I'll give you a clue...rhymes with Shitby :D

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am

I have about 6-8 different stores that I go to though and it really is just a crap shoot as to which one will have anything good at any given time...I wish I could say definitively that this or that store was the best and always has good crap, but its just not the case lol

CanadianRyGuy
loonie
loonie

Postby CanadianRyGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Would anyone actually have any cheap game for the Atari Jaguar? I don't think it will turn on unless there is a game inside and I'm really curious to see if it works. Apparently an SD cart is in the works but has been for almost 2 years now and still no firm ETA as to when it might be ready lol

Law212
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby Law212 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:49 pm

I havent been to the Shitby one in a while..... Shoot I might have to start up again!

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”