Anyone on here know how to fix a Sega Dreamcast?

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

Declaritive

Anyone on here know how to fix a Sega Dreamcast?

Postby Declaritive » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:06 pm

My Dreamcast's laser has bit the dust and it won't read discs now. I tried adjust the potentiometer on the laser drive but to no luck.
Anyone on here in the Guelph/Cambridge/Kitchener whos experienced with this I would pay you to install a new laser drive - ordering the part, labour - everything. I don't really trust myself trying to do it but if someone who has done it before is up for it pm me. Of course now with the lockdown is the worst time for this to happen - I just want to play Berserk and Skies of arcadia again!
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, have at you!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my video game blog: http://declaritive.blogspot.ca/

AllanSim
loonie
loonie

Re: Anyone on here know how to fix a Sega Dreamcast?

Postby AllanSim » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:32 pm

Assuming no one can help you:

Before society fell apart i'd suggest hitting all the pawn shops like cash converters to replace the whole console. I'd often see a few of them marked cheap. There's a better option though -- buy an sdcard converter like GD-EMU for ISO images. You can buy the original from the guy who designed it (whoops, nevermind, the guy is in poland and all international mail is on hold) or a chinese knockoff on aliexpress (may still be shipping?). His design was ripped off awhile ago :roll:

There are pricey used consoles on amazon.ca and ebay.ca. I checked kijiji and there are cheaper options there but selection varies by area.

I guess the last option is to emulate it. The state if emulation for it is pretty good now. Good luck!

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Re: Anyone on here know how to fix a Sega Dreamcast?

Postby jasonec » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:18 am

Leon (leonk here on the forum) is the expert in that.
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”