Game Wave repair help.

Open forum to all gaming discussions

Moderators: Sparky, maxlords, machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, omnedon

fuzzyoddball
timbit
timbit

Game Wave repair help.

Postby fuzzyoddball » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:29 pm

I was using my game wave today to test some DVD's and next moment I try using it the screen is blank.
I reflowed the Powerboard PCB worried there was a break or something like a cold break happened seeing as there was no visible issues. Still no luck.
I probed out the power pins and found a possible issue of under voltage;

PCB labeled; gnd, 3.3, 3.3, gnd, stby, on, -12v, + 12v , agnd, 5va

What my multi meter shows; gnd, 3.18, 3.18, gnd, -9.88, 10.40, sby, on, gnd, 5

I am unsure if I am on the right track for this system. Or if this is a symptom of some other problem.
Any suggestions?

PS. If you do or do not know what a Game Wave is... It is a short lived Canadian DVD based set top console. only having aprox 13 games made for it and 70,000 consoles produced. It was a short lived system that only sold for 3 years as a party game system and not as a system for indepth gaming. Officially...

I find it good for later released IDVD or Dvd Games.
Due to the system being Region free and having multiple controllers it is great for DVD board games, as well as import titles that use IDVD, DVD game, or other DVD player interactions.
Example DVD titles; Dracula Unleashed DVD FMV, Dragonia Interactive novel, dragon lair FMV, SceneIt!, Mad dog McCree, Wallace & Gromit curse of the wear rabbit interactive DVD, Blankity Blank, Tomb Raider; The action Adventure.
Sadly I was unable to try if it is able to play Nuon Game's... I doubt it due to this does not use the Nuon System... Nor can it read CD's... I do not think it can support VCD's

I really wish this thing had a light gun...

I hope to get my GameWave up and running by the time my copy of Dragon's Lair and Who shot Jhonny Rock arrive.

Return to “Anything Gaming Goes”