Mame

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

a.stebel
timbit
timbit

Mame

Postby a.stebel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:42 pm

Hello everyone. I have a half ass mame machine in a beachhead 2000 cabinet. I bloody hate it. Just a few questions.

Can those ready made Pandora boxes, complete with joysticks and buttons be used with arcade monitors?
Most important, can I add my ps2 spinner to a Pandora Box?

I have to be able to play Arkanoid.
Fish Tales, WhiteWater, Johnny Mnemonic, Champion Pub, Congo, Popeye, Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones, Sttng, Shadow, Cirqus Voltaire, World Poker Tour, Austin Powers, Ripley's, LOTR, Simpsons, WOZ LE.
Blitz / NBA, Mame, Chexx, Indian Jones Pachinko.

ericball
timbit
timbit

Re: Mame

Postby ericball » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:53 am

For Arkanoid you're going to want a vertical monitor set up, so make sure whatever multi-game you put in emulates Arkanoid & supports vertical monitors (e.g. the 60-in-1 iCade Classic). Typical multi-games expect arcade hardware so your PS2 spinner won't work as it wants the raw CLK+DIR opto signals. I seem to recall Arkanoid purists were also very particular about the spinner "feel". You probably also want to see if you can find some reviews for how well Arkanoid plays on the hardware you're thinking about buying.

c0nn0r
loonie
loonie

Postby c0nn0r » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:12 pm

There is a nice Arkanoid core on the MiSTer FPGA platform. You might be able to go to a PS2 to USB adapter into the MiSTer.

I've wanted to get a spinner just for this myself!
New Astro City, CMVS, JAMMA Saturn & Genesis, MiSTer, PVMs: 2030, 1954Q, 2x 8044Q, 9L2, 9L3, + Extron Crosspoint

a.stebel
timbit
timbit

Postby a.stebel » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:01 am

I will say the spinner on the mame is fine to play arkanoid. I just really don’t like hyperspin interface at all.
Arkanoid 1 and 2 work fine. Ark Tournament maps the fire button to some other button where I have to cross my hands - so it is unplayable.

I was hoping the Pandora ready made boxes were more polished than hyperspin.
Fish Tales, WhiteWater, Johnny Mnemonic, Champion Pub, Congo, Popeye, Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones, Sttng, Shadow, Cirqus Voltaire, World Poker Tour, Austin Powers, Ripley's, LOTR, Simpsons, WOZ LE.

ericball
timbit
timbit

Postby ericball » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:46 am

a.stebel wrote:I will say the spinner on the mame is fine to play arkanoid. I just really don’t like hyperspin interface at all.
Arkanoid 1 and 2 work fine. Ark Tournament maps the fire button to some other button where I have to cross my hands - so it is unplayable.
I was hoping the Pandora ready made boxes were more polished than hyperspin.

Sound like you've got a working system which just needs some customization. For Ark Tournament, plug in a keyboard, start Ark Tournament, press TAB go into Input (this game) and set the button as you want.

Hyperspin is just the front end. Depending upon what you don't like about it might be simply a matter of tweaking the configuration or changing to a different theme. Or check out one of the other front-ends. Most are customizable to some extent; some (like Attract-Mode) are basically programmable.

a.stebel
timbit
timbit

Postby a.stebel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:07 pm

Thanks Ericball. I’ll try that!! I am more pinball. I had no idea you could change stuff like that.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”