--> CUSTOMS: Everything You Didn't Want to Know

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

shovelhed

Re: --> CUSTOMS: Everything You Didn't Want to Know

Postby shovelhed » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:19 pm

I've searched and can't find an answer. What if I am sending a boardset to the US to be repaired. How do I arrange to not pay tax (maybe duty) on its return form the US?

I've done this in the past and been charged. Pissed me off because it had already been purchased and paid for.

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:24 pm

tl:dr The cost of repair is still taxable. Goods made in the US are Duty free, so you will only pay HST on the value of the repair.

The board has a value - $500 say. Its broken. So you send it to the US to get fixed. They fix it for $100. That board is now worth $600. (the amount of money you have in to it, putting shipping aside).

When it comes back into Canada - you are right, you already paid your fair share of taxes and crap on the board.. when it was $500. Now that its $100 more, you have to pay on that $100 - $13 in Ontario, $5 in alberta.. $15 on the east coast, etc.

So, in a nut shell. When whereever it gets repaired is finished, make sure that they send back an invoice that states how much the repair value is.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

mike boss
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Postby mike boss » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:05 pm

To bump this up,

I thought somewhere I read that shipping via USPS is the best option ?
That somewhere in the price paid is a flat $5 brokerage fee, and that items from the states would not arrive with any additional fees ?

I'm unsure if this is factual, I know ordering items from Ebay and US residents that shipped via USPS I never got charged any extra fees.
I'm unsure if that would remain true ordering from a retailer.
Final Fight
Bad Dudes vs DragonNinja
Punch-Out! Pi-Bartop
Nintendo DK 60-in-1(V)
Nintendo DK JR Mame(V)
Nintendo Popeye W/Pandoras Box 9
Nintendo Mario Bros Mame + 2 X Aim Trak
23" Touchscreen Juke
Fabi Foosball Table
Arcade1up Marvel Pinball

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:31 pm

Subpacket would know more, but from my experience, I find that USPS packages often don't get dinged for duty, even if the value is over the $20 limit. But UPS (and the other big shippers) will charge you whatever the hell they can.

https://gifspace.net/image/UT7M
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris
http://goo.gl/UW7e9L

lastlight
timbit
timbit

Postby lastlight » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:33 pm

Subpacket wrote:Goods made in the US are Duty free

I had some sideart sent from a US vendor and I was nailed with $50 in duty by UPS. Any idea why?
ArcadeArts - Classic Arcade and Pinball Artwork
http://arcadearts.net

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:54 pm

lastlight wrote:

I had some sideart sent from a US vendor and I was nailed with $50 in duty by UPS. Any idea why?

It's UPS probably. Even the secretaries in our company that receive packages from the US with textbooks (duty free) are bullied all the time by the UPS delivery guys to pay some huge fee. They basically tell the guy "We're not allowed to pay you anything no matter what you say" and they end up dropping off the package and leaving because they know the shitstorm that would result if we had to escalate it. But they try. That's UPS.
Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Galaga, Pac-man, Ms.Pac-man, Missile Command, Robotron, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Tempest, Raiden, Tetris

lastlight
timbit
timbit

Postby lastlight » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:37 pm

You mean I could stand there and tell him no... and expect to still get the package?
ArcadeArts - Classic Arcade and Pinball Artwork
http://arcadearts.net

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:15 pm

lastlight wrote:You mean I could stand there and tell him no... and expect to still get the package?

If you were a company, yes. But as an individual, UPS knows they have you by the balls.....

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:15 pm

mike boss wrote:To bump this up,

I thought somewhere I read that shipping via USPS is the best option ?
That somewhere in the price paid is a flat $5 brokerage fee, and that items from the states would not arrive with any additional fees ?

I'm unsure if this is factual, I know ordering items from Ebay and US residents that shipped via USPS I never got charged any extra fees.
I'm unsure if that would remain true ordering from a retailer.

USPS is cheap - it gets handed off to Canada Post, who has a broker that holds the contract that charges $5 for the clearance, and you pay at the post office.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:17 pm

lastlight wrote:

Do you have a copy of the bill? how much was sthe side art? lets say it was $200
thats $260 CDN

HST = 33.80
Brokerage - $20
HST on brokerage 2.60

so.. no duty, but they charged you their $20 to clear it, and the rest is tax, as you would have paid if you bought in canada.

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:19 pm

lastlight wrote:You mean I could stand there and tell him no... and expect to still get the package?

Not really. You can tell them to hold at the depot.
Call UPS, and they will email you a copy of the manifest
Go to your local customs office, pay the HST
fax the stamped release to ups
they will deliver the next day.

Of that - you saved $20.. so.. whats your time worth?

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:20 pm

jasonec wrote:
lastlight wrote:

It's UPS probably. Even the secretaries in our company that receive packages from the US with textbooks (duty free) are bullied all the time by the UPS delivery guys to pay some huge fee. They basically tell the guy "We're not allowed to pay you anything no matter what you say" and they end up dropping off the package and leaving because they know the shitstorm that would result if we had to escalate it. But they try. That's UPS.

You can also call UPS with who your broker is, and they will take care of it at the back end. brokers usually cheaper rate than UPS.

Subpacket
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Subpacket » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:34 am

CUSMA has changed stuff.

0-20 from anywhere in the world comes in duty free / tax exempt.
0-40 from the us/mx, regardless of where it is made comes in duty free /tax exempt
40-150 from us/mx, regardless of where it is made comes in duty free, but HST/PST/GST applies.

us - US, and its territories

jasonec
SUPREME VIDIOT
SUPREME VIDIOT

Postby jasonec » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Subpacket wrote:CUSMA has changed stuff.

0-20 from anywhere in the world comes in duty free / tax exempt.
0-40 from the us/mx, regardless of where it is made comes in duty free /tax exempt
40-150 from us/mx, regardless of where it is made comes in duty free, but HST/PST/GST applies.

us - US, and its territories

I'm assuming those numbers are in CDN after conversion, right?

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”