Galaxian PCB Repair

For everything Coin-Op and Arcade related

Moderators: machine.slave, Doc Kaos, mark, jasonec, CongoBongo, monkeybug

misspent_youth
stubby
stubby

Galaxian PCB Repair

Postby misspent_youth » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi, longtime lurker here that just got into this hobby by buying that Galaxian that was on Kijiji in Ontario recently. I think there's an issue with the board - there is a graphics issue that doesn't seem monitor-related. The game boots and plays fine, but there is a horizontal white line that starts at the bottom of the playfield but follows the alien shells when they drop them. In other words, I don't see the alien shells, just a horizontal white line across the screen that tracks down the screen toward the ship and slightly breaks up at the spot on screen where the shell would be.

The logic board troubleshooting guides from Midway list a couple of issues that seem pretty close to my problem, but not exact, so it seems like it may be possible to narrow it down to 3 or 4 ICs or possibly bad RAM, though the self test does not report any errors. In various corners of the internet I have not seen anyone's repair log that describes my problem. Anyone know of someone in Southern Ontario (GTA preferably) that repairs arcade PCBs? I am not electronically skilled enough to diagnose or fix the problem on my own, nor do I have any of the testing equipment. I know I can buy a replacement PCB but I like the idea of having the board that came with the machine running it.

OTTOgd
Canadian Club
Canadian Club

Re: Galaxian PCB Repair

Postby OTTOgd » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:12 pm

60-in-1 her and yer done!

8)

Game on!

misspent_youth
stubby
stubby

Re: Galaxian PCB Repair

Postby misspent_youth » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:29 pm

It will probably come to that once I've got it looking a little better - the art is pretty rough and the coin door ain't too pretty - but I think I owe it to the old machine to at least look into getting it running right first. Function-wise, that's all that's wrong. Monitor is decent, all controls work fine, coin mechs work.

Return to “Coin-Op Corner”